Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found something from trunk, I think it is for license plate things. (plastic board)
But, it doesn't have any hook I can put in the front side.
Do I have to buy something for my front license plate?
If yes, where or any recommendation?

Thanks

p.s I have to put front license plate.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I "have to" as well. I don't, in Texas, enforcement is sporadic at best.

If you "have" to, there are several aftermarket options discussed on this board, try searching for front license plate.

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Take it out of the plastic and take a close up photo so we can tell what it is.
Looks to me like it might be the plate frame I mentioned above that I found in my trunk.

Or the round part might be to fit in the tow hole on the front bumper, I need to ask the dealer or Alfa.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is what I thought, but every dealer don't know how to use that.
but my question is, how to put that in the tow hole, I think I need some hook.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That is the front plate mount. You don't need any kind of hook. The hole covered by the driver's side plug is meant only as an alignment aid for the mount, which has a corresponding round protuberance. You're supposed to screw the mount in with self tappers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the front plate mount. You don't need any kind of hook. The hole covered by the driver's side plug is meant only as an alignment aid for the mount, which has a corresponding round protuberance. You're supposed to screw the mount in with self tappers.
Then I don't need to buy any screw? it doesn't move even I drive fast or something else?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
I bought something on eBay that automatically dips the plate underneath car when you don't want to see the plate using a remote control.
Clever, but probably illegal in most states. If a cop sees that your plate is on a movable platform like that it would give "probable cause" for a search of your entire vehicle.

Don't you lose quite a bit of ground clearance?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Throw that one that came with the car away. Even the dealers won't suggest using that one. You HAVE to screw it into the bumper with multiple screws (it does NOT fit into the tow hook spot) and you don't really want to do THAT, do you? As above, check out the above link to the mentioned thread. LOTS of options and photos.

·
Banned
264 Posts
Clever, but probably illegal in most states. If a cop sees that your plate is on a movable platform like that it would give "probable cause" for a search of your entire vehicle.

Don't you lose quite a bit of ground clearance?
In no state would a license plate violation give a police officer "probable cause" to search the vehicle...here in NJ it would be perfectly legal, but for a 12" off the ground height requirement..

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
In no state would a license plate violation give a police officer "probable cause" to search the vehicle...here in NJ it would be perfectly legal, but for a 12" off the ground height requirement..
I beg to differ. Anything that looks like you are hiding something and that has no other obvious purpose, such as an altered, or dynamically alterable plate is exactly probable cause. It is entirely reasonable for an officer to assume that any such thing is only present for the purpose of making illegal activities easier. The officer may or may not believe that a hideaway plate is there for presentation at car shows; does your car look like a show car?

I've got what I think is a pretty good design for a proper, 100% legal over the right side grill license plate holder in my head that would work for non QV Guilia for USA shape plates. A black license plate should not look too bad in that position, especially if there is a CF frame around it. For a fee you can get black license plates in Washington state and in California, I don't know about other states. Now I just need my car to show up so I can see if the idea really works.

BTW: cable ties are generally not UV resistant and will fail after a bit of sun exposure.

·
Banned
264 Posts
I beg to differ. Anything that looks like you are hiding something and that has no other obvious purpose, such as an altered, or dynamically alterable plate is exactly probable cause. It is entirely reasonable for an officer to assume that any such thing is only present for the purpose of making illegal activities easier. The officer may or may not believe that a hideaway plate is there for presentation at car shows; does your car look like a show car?

I've got what I think is a pretty good design for a proper, 100% legal over the right side grill license plate holder in my head that would work for non QV Guilia for USA shape plates. A black license plate should not look too bad in that position, especially if there is a CF frame around it. For a fee you can get black license plates in Washington state and in California, I don't know about other states. Now I just need my car to show up so I can see if the idea really works.

BTW: cable ties are generally not UV resistant and will fail after a bit of sun exposure.
You can beg to differ but you simply dont understand the law. Your explanation evidences a basic lack of understanding of probable cause. Furthermore, your premise that a retractable plate is unlawful in "most states" is false. Therefore, there would simply be no basis for the stop. Additionally, an officer making the stop would have to know the plate was retractable which cannot be discerned simply by looking at it.

For those interested, I will be driving without a front plate in NJ in the hopes of getting pulled over to test a legal theory...the way the statute is codified, it should be impossible for the state to secure a conviction for failing to maintain a front license plate without testimony from a Motor Vehicle Commission official, which will never happen.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
You can beg to differ but you simply dont understand the law. Your explanation evidences a basic lack of understanding of probable cause. Furthermore, your premise that a retractable plate is unlawful in "most states" is false. Therefore, there would simply be no basis for the stop. Additionally, an officer making the stop would have to know the plate was retractable which cannot be discerned simply by looking at it.

For those interested, I will be driving without a front plate in NJ in the hopes of getting pulled over to test a legal theory...the way the statute is codified, it should be impossible for the state to secure a conviction for failing to maintain a front license plate without testimony from a Motor Vehicle Commission official, which will never happen.
Sorry about that, but the interpretation is that if an officer sees evidence that a crime has been committed he has probable cause to conduct a search. A automated hideaway license plate IS evidence that a crime has been committed.

I did not state that any officer of the law would pull anyone over just for having a retractable license plate. However, an officer may walk around and conduct an inspection of the parts of a car that are visible to the public and then discover this probable cause. For example, without further inspection the office cannot determine if you do or do not have 2 different, automatically interchangeable license plates, which is a most likely a felony offense.

Good luck with your license plate contest. Judges decide the intent of the law rather than the letter of the law since many laws are too vague to enforce literally as written.

·
Banned
264 Posts
Sorry about that, but the interpretation is that if an officer sees evidence that a crime has been committed he has probable cause to conduct a search. A automated hideaway license plate IS evidence that a crime has been committed.

I did not state that any officer of the law would pull anyone over just for having a retractable license plate. However, an officer may walk around and conduct an inspection of the parts of a car that are visible to the public and then discover this probable cause. For example, without further inspection the office cannot determine if you do or do not have 2 different, automatically interchangeable license plates, which is a most likely a felony offense.

Good luck with your license plate contest. Judges decide the intent of the law rather than the letter of the law since many laws are too vague to enforce literally as written.
Wow....i dont know how to respond other than saying you are simply wrong. You dont understand the basic legal concept of probable cause. An automated license place is evidence of nothing. This is basic 101 stuff...stop playing lawyer. You are clueless. Who said anything about interchangeable plates you are adding facts to support your erroneous conclusion. Fictitious plates is a completely different subject. I dont need luck. This is not a question of intent. Its the plain meaning of the statute. You simply dont understand how the legal process works or what judges do.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts