Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Virginia where front plates are required. Will Alfa have an elegant solution for cars sold in Sates with front license plate requirements? They look goofy on the few 4C's i've seen around town.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I feel for you ... and feel lucky at the same time coming from a state that doesn't require a front plate. I think it messes with the look of the front end.
I'm afraid there's little that Alfa can do to keep it from looking... as you say, "goofy". Maybe a nice metal or carbon fiber frame would at least help a bit.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It is up to the dealer/port on the front license plate installation. That being said when ever I have ordered a car I have requested them to not drill the front bumper. Id rather take the $70 fine or do a aftermarket solution such as this

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have been also thinking about front license plate placement, especially since I live in a state where front license plate is required. I keep going back to the idea of whether it would be possible to mount the plate on the lower driver side air went. I am unsure though if the plate would actually fit into the opening. It looks to me that for the regular Giulia the actual air opening is only towards the inside corner and no air enters into the engine for about 3/4 of the opening. If you look at the picture below, what I 'm talking about is mounting it directly below where the Italian plate is. If the plate could be mounted on the lower grill it would be probably a cleaner look since it would not stick out. Maybe this approach would not work for the QF since it has a larger air intake.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Pete...That's an ingenious solution...but are you sure will it work with the Giulia?
Thanks ! I'm 98% sure it will work lol. I've seen it on everything from a Honda Civic to a Gallardo so I wouldn't doubt it :wink2:Different companies make different types of brackets, some lower profile than others, some even have a remote that you can use from inside of your car which is cool as heck

·
Registered
448 Posts
Personally I see a couple issues with the under bumper plate holder.
The QV version has an active aero splitter which runs across the entire bottom of the bumper. It appears to me that you would only be able to attach the under bumper plate holder to the aero splitter, which could interfere with the aero splitter's performance. I personally would not risk that.
Based on the regular Giulia pictures it looks to me that the bottom edge of the bumper is not straight, it has two small lips on each corners. If you would mount the under bumper holder there, the license plate would have to hang several inches away from the bumper and it would look weird. You could probably use the mount somewhere closer towards the center of the car where the bumper is straighter, but again that does not look that good and also could block the front sensors or the air intake. It is so much easier for those lucky folks who do not have to deal with these ugly front plates! I've also seen in certain European countries that people had a small after market reflective vinyl license plate sticker on the front bumper instead of the actual front plate. That would be very cool, but I bet it would be illegal in the US.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been also thinking about front license plate placement, especially since I live in a state where front license plate is required. I keep going back to the idea of whether it would be possible to mount the plate on the lower driver side air went. I am unsure though if the plate would actually fit into the opening. It looks to me that for the regular Giulia the actual air opening is only towards the inside corner and no air enters into the engine for about 3/4 of the opening. If you look at the picture below, what I 'm talking about is mounting it directly below where the Italian plate is. If the plate could be mounted on the lower grill it would be probably a cleaner look since it would not stick out. Maybe this approach would not work for the QF since it has a larger air intake.

I wish Virginia plates where that skinny!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm unfortunately living in an area with fat plates so no matter where I mount it, the license plate will still take too much away from the front facia. Only place I can think of is the lower vents on the left or right. Putting the plate in the middle would cover the best part of the grille.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The QV version has an active aero splitter which runs across the entire bottom of the bumper. It appears to me that you would only be able to attach the under bumper plate holder to the aero splitter, which could interfere with the aero splitter's performance. I personally would not risk that.
Based on the regular Giulia pictures it looks to me that the bottom edge of the bumper is not straight, it has two small lips on each corners. If you would mount the under bumper holder there, the license plate would have to hang several inches away from the bumper and it would look weird. You could probably use the mount somewhere closer towards the center of the car where the bumper is straighter, but again that does not look that good and also could block the front sensors or the air intake. It is so much easier for those lucky folks who do not have to deal with these ugly front plates! I've also seen in certain European countries that people had a small after market reflective vinyl license plate sticker on the front bumper instead of the actual front plate. That would be very cool, but I bet it would be illegal in the US.

Well.. definitely seemed to crush my dreams there lol !

But... that sticker idea.. someone must find out if this is legal ... well I guess it would depend on your state though ?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Terrific, count me in on being interested. Would be surprised if Alfa didn't provide anything for the car within the coming months however. Not sure where the car's front towhook is located, but that to me seems like an ideal mounting place.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks ! I'm 98% sure it will work lol. I've seen it on everything from a Honda Civic to a Gallardo so I wouldn't doubt it :wink2:Different companies make different types of brackets, some lower profile than others, some even have a remote that you can use from inside of your car which is cool as heck
Under the bumper is good for Giulia and Ti. As far as the quad goes... I'd roll the dice and take the ticket, required in Texas, mostly only enforced if they suspect you are guilty of other illegal acts. I'd have wrap made before I drilled in the bumper. If I ran it to an issue it'd go about like this.

Me-sir what's your favorite sport
Officer- hockey
Me- who's your all time favorite player
Officer- Brett hull
Me- if you had a stars jersey autographed by hull would you poke holes in it and put a big white square right on the front? Because that's what I feel like a plate would do to this car. I'm not dealing drugs or street racing, I just love this car and that plate would bother me more than a $250 ticket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the GMG Motorsports
"ALFA ROMEO 4C / GIULIA NO HOLES License Plate Bracket Kit" from Amazon. It looks almost the same as the one pictured, but I think mine sticks out about an inch or so more. It works though.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm testing out the following tow-hook plate holder from Dynamic Technology Group in San Ramon, CA.

FYI - The tow hook is located on the passenger side of the car and not the driver side; the cap on the driver side appears to be just for looks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That definitely looks the best, I see a lot of Giulias with plates on the driver's side and it looks terrible, they are all crooked and not straight. Looks to me the tow hook mount on the passenger side is nice and straight and looks good. Thanks for posting

1 - 20 of 281 Posts