Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ontario requires a front plate unfortunately degrading the look of the front facia. Almost makes one want to register in Quebec ;) Additionally the plate holder provided by Alfa requires screws to the front bumper as per the dealer install. To avoid these holes a license plate mount kit was ordered from Madness Autoworks - part # 7-12, $79.89 . Delivery was prompt and the product is well constructed. It utilizes the passenger tow hook threaded receptor and is easy to install. However it leaves a substantial gap as to allow snow , ice and associate salt to accumulate within the bumper. To get round this problem I drilled a 1 1/4 in ( 1 in would have been better) in the Alfa provided plate holder and used the Autoworks bolts with a large washer to attache the plastic Alfa holder. The Alfa part fits within the tow hook access area to create a seal. A bead of silicone can be used to make sure salt doesn't penetrate. The Autoworks product is good for warmer climates and cleaner look as the Alfa holder extends beyond the plate . A 19mm bolt and washer is all that is required to attache the Alfa part via the tow hook.

Another potential winter issue is the low front dam and wheel well protrusions behind the front tires. I have already caught these on a small concrete curb placing pressure on the bottom screws holding the wheel liners, pulling them from the metal tabs. Compact snow and/or ice will be a problem as the these liners are not the best design or material.

I am placing winter tires and rims next month which should raise the height by an inch.

Joel
Ottawa, ON

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you had any interference with the parking sensors? I am using one from a different supplier and the front sensor seems to intermittently pick it up and alarm when there is nothing else around.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
What size winter tires are you fitting? I think there is not a lot of room in the wheel wells for a diameter increase and a 1" increase in height from a tire change alone requires a 2" increase in diameter.

Would you post a picture of this problem protrusion around the front wheel wells?

Would you explain in more detail how your modification of the Madness plate holder reduces issues with snow getting behind the front fascia?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just guessing as to the increase in tire height when switching from the run flat low profile to winters. As for the size that is unknown as the dealer will be providing these next month ( a bonus to make up for the six month wait ).
If you notice in pic 1 the tow access is exposed with the Madness bolt and stays this way when using their plate attachment. In pic 2 The Alfa plate has a circular protrusion that fits in the tow access somewhat snugly when the bolt is tightened. Silicon can be used to complete the seal .

I can provide a pic of the wheel well extensions in front of the front tires tomorrow but are obvious if one is looking for them. Never has seen these before and I am not sure as to their purpose other than acting as a shovel.

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
The correct size for an 18" winter wheel setup would be 225/45/18.
That should not increase the overall diameter of the wheel, therefore you car should stand at the exact same height.

Below is a link of the wheels I have on order for my winter set
http://rwcwheels.com/winter-wheels/alfa-romeo/giulia/2017/18/rwc-ar55-silver#content
Please send pics and give a full review of the wheels once you have them.
They look really good.
The site doesn't seem to list any prices. Is that a Canadian company? Do they ship to the US?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Amazing. Good find.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please send pics and give a full review of the wheels once you have them.
They look really good.
The site doesn't seem to list any prices. Is that a Canadian company? Do they ship to the US?
I will for sure, wheels should be in on the 3rd week of November.
It is a Canadian Importer/Distributor, the prices are in Canadian$

They are fabricated for OE fitment, original centercaps will snap right-in and will even accommodate TPMS sensors if desired.
The offset is ET30 vs. ET33(OEM fitment) because they made one wheel to offer for the Giulia and Stelvio.
Which translates to: this wheel will stick out 3mm more than your current factory wheel, 3mm=hairline, unnoticeable.
The center bore is also Alfa Romeo OEM spec, so no need for Centering rings, therefore, no vibrations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts