Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else have a discoloration of the front grill areas? Looks like fading but splotchy.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Its the dark part. Pics attached
To me, that looks like hard water spotting. Note that the spotting is harder to see but present on the painted surfaces. Such spotting is usually caused by irrigation sprinklers hitting the car while it is parked, but can also be caused by not drying the car off after washing it with hard water.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah check on that. Try some bug and tar remover on the paint first. On the plastic use a protectant. They are supposed to clean as well but you may have to use alcohol or something else to dissolve those mineral deposits.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
OP, I see you are in Ocean Pines....I used to have summer house in Ocean City....what you see there are certainly mineral deposits, you have them on painted area too...since you live close to the beach, is your car often dusty with lime sand? Just washing the car with such dust on it quickly will cause such spotting....on paint if it is net well waxed you might have to even use some type of rubbing compound (like Scratch X) to get it off....once clean wax it really well and protect plastic parts well too otherwise thes ethings become really hardened and stuck after a while

·
Registered
647 Posts
If the spots haven't been there too long try a car quick detailing spray. Better yet get some distilled white vinegar (not apple vinegar) and apply it and let sit for awhile, wipe off. If still there try a slightly abrasive car polish. After I hand wash my Giulia I always put Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax or Ultimate Paste Wax (both are synthetic polymer hydrophobic wax) on the car and also the grille area.

PS: Never drink vinegar without first discussing it with your medical practitioner. :nerd:

Attachments

Reactions: FordPrefect

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's with the dealer now. Discoloration was there when I puchased it (Annapolis), just didn't notice it until later.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's with the dealer now. Discoloration was there when I puchased it (Annapolis), just didn't notice it until later.
I bought my Giulia from Annapolis. Dealt with Rob, the GM. I was very happy with the way I was treated. That dealership is expanding to be an Maserati/Alfa Romeo combo dealer by the way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
90Below, Rob is my guy too. Dealership has been great so far. Rob personnally drove 2 hours to bring me a loaner and take my Giulia to paint shop. And the loaner is a Stelvio.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This is a tough call. Johnson Alfa Romeo of Annapolis is good to work with. But all body/trim warranty claims require pre-approval, and in my experience, FCA is being stingy with warranty. I can see them easily denying the warranty claim and forcing the dealer to have the awkward conversation with you about how that cosmetic damage is an environmental exposure issue that you're responsible for.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully not an issue if it was damaged before I took possession

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hopefully not an issue if it was damaged before I took possession

I don’t know how long you’ve had the car. But this is a tough call because there’s no good way for anyone on either side to prove exactly how or when the damage occurred, unless there are some time stamped photos that show the damage was pre-existing at the time of new car delivery. The chemical exposure could have happened 5 minutes after you left the dealership with your brand new car and that wouldn’t be a warranty issue, it’d be an owner issue as almost all wear and tear issues are the owner’s responsibility.

You say the discoloration was there when you purchased it but you didn’t notice it until later. So how do you know for certain that the discoloration was there when you purchased it if you didn’t notice it until later?

I think there’s a good chance this won’t get covered under warranty, in which case you probably expect a goodwill repair to come out of the dealer’s pocket. This puts the dealer in the unenviable position of spending their money on your car for something that you’re most likely responsible for but are unwilling to take responsibility for.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank God for Facebook :) I took pictures before I left the dealership and posted to FB and the discoloration is visible.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I wonder if some chemical may have been spattered on there? Say bleach or floor cleaner if it was inside, or some other mystery fluid when outside?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everyone should check their cars for this discoloration. Got her back from the dealer this week and spoke with service mgr who said it is very common problem. They haven't figured it out yet but it happens somewhere in the shipping process. Dealers are trying to catch the affected cars before they're sold but some have slipped past.

All front grill pieces and one mirror assembly were replaced by AR and it's getting very expensive for them.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Thank God for Facebook :) I took pictures before I left the dealership and posted to FB and the discoloration is visible.
So If you had that much visible damage that was posted on Facebook before you left why on earth would you take it that way? I must not be reading this right. Glad you got it repaired. Cars are wrapped in shipment and I am sure if it is a common problem it would have its own sticky. Does it? I have not heard of this before.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts