Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if front fog lights are/will be available or can be installed by dealer as on the EU model ?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Front fog lights are only available with halogen headlights. Since Giulia is not available with halogens in the US, by extension it is also not available with fogs.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
Reactions: GioSailor

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Bmw and audi are also mostly dropping fog lights...
Fogs are mostly good in slow city driving, they are aimed close and low as for the light not to be absorbed by fog...best would be yellow as the wavelenght of yellow is least absorbed in water and can "penetrate" plus they are better visible to drivers in front of you....beside safety at slow speeds in **** weather they really are there just for looks

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,194 Posts
Those do look good. It would require new grill inserts as well as the fog lights. I wonder why they don't offer that as an option here in the U.S.? Are the bi-xenon's so good that fog lights aren't necessary?
Because the rules of the road throughout the USA prohibit driving with fogs only under the driving conditions when fog lights are helpful, most of the value of the fog lights is negated.
Fog lights are only useful at low speeds, although low speeds are not unique to the urban environment.

I find that fog lights are useful in "flat light" conditions (snow covered road) for highlighting potholes. This has more to do with them being aimed close to and nearly parallel to the road surface than being yellow or aimed close to the vehicle. Our regulators also disallow turning on fogs + high beams, limiting the value of this use as well. We wouldn't want to make it easier to drive in severe conditions now, would we?

Before anybody screams, high beams are useful at 30MPH on the snow, as the stopping distance under that condition can be similar to (or worse than) 70MPH and dry.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Because the rules of the road throughout the USA prohibit driving with fogs only under the driving conditions when fog lights are helpful, most of the value of the fog lights is negated.
Fog lights are only useful at low speeds, although low speeds are not unique to the urban environment.

I find that fog lights are useful in "flat light" conditions (snow covered road) for highlighting potholes. This has more to do with them being aimed close to and nearly parallel to the road surface than being yellow or aimed close to the vehicle. Our regulators also disallow turning on fogs + high beams, limiting the value of this use as well. We wouldn't want to make it easier to drive in severe conditions now, would we?

Before anybody screams, high beams are useful at 30MPH on the snow, as the stopping distance under that condition can be similar to (or worse than) 70MPH and dry.
The value of fog lights depends on where you live. Where I live in Idaho, we don't have road reflectors on the pavement. The paint isn't even reflective. In rain, fog or snow, having a low wide-angle beam helps to see things at the edge and side of the road, so you can tell where you're at on the road. This can be really helpful under low light conditions as well as at night. It would just be nice to have the option for fog lights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bmw and audi are also mostly dropping fog lights...
I'm glad that Alfa followed suit and decided not to put fog lights on the Giulia. I just think that they cheapen the look of the car. Every time I see a car with fog lights I instantly think of a Pontiac.

·
Registered
869 Posts
They don't look bad per se on the Giulia but the US variant of fog lights, as so many have pointed out, is almost useless in my experience. In my old Subaru Legacy a lot of the people on the forums with me would "hack" them to make them independent.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
As far as I know rules in EU are same as in US or very similar, they were when I lived there, no use of fog lights when there is no fog and they have to hang on low beam main lights....i once failed technical inspection and had to rewire them (aftermarket) and 3 months later got a ticket for driving with them on clear night, cop with lollypop had nothing better to do but to harrass people....I have never heard anybody in US enforcing the rules but also fog lights are practically never aftermarket these days

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Front fog lamps can be very useful for finding dropped items such as keys.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
As far as I know rules in EU are same as in US or very similar, they were when I lived there, no use of fog lights when there is no fog and they have to hang on low beam main lights....i once failed technical inspection and had to rewire them (aftermarket) and 3 months later got a ticket for driving with them on clear night, cop with lollypop had nothing better to do but to harrass people....I have never heard anybody in US enforcing the rules but also fog lights are practically never aftermarket these days
At least it is legal in California to turn on fog lights when there is no fog. Also there are no regular technical or safety inspections, just smog inspections. This goes back to the pot-hole spotting utility of fog lights. Unfortunately one has to be rather creative to make this stuff work the way you want.

The only time I have had to undergo a technical inspection was after I got my Etype put together after it was listed as "salvaged" (very long story). E type head lights have to be aimed the old fashioned way and finding a certified headlight aimer nearly did me in. That was 20 years ago and I'm not sure it can be done anymore.

Anyway, the DOT is rather fast and loose with fog light aiming requirements which may be the root cause of some of the silly rules. Fog lights don't usually have any kind of vernier adjuster for example.

Last weekend I encountered a pickup truck late at night with a full-on off-road light bar turned on (probably attempting to poach some wildlife, as he was moving pretty slowly). One does not want to be in front of such a vehicle, it is impossible to see anything. There are sound reasons why such lights are not legal to turn on while on road.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
A low-angle, short-throw wide beam can be very useful in areas where there are no other lights than your own. When you're in an area like that, if it's raining or snowing, or there's fog, there isn't even any moon or starlight so at night it is dark. At times, I've been coming home from work at night and it's raining so hard, you can't even see the road surface. It looks like you're driving on a river. You can't see your lane, the lines, the side of the road or anything. Your headlights show what looks almost like a waterfall in front of you. Having a low wide beam that can light up the sides of the road, can let you see things sticking up to help you know where the sides of the road actually are.

I realize fog lights are probably not necessary or useful for most people in most areas, but for some of us it would be a nice option to have available.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Would that all roads so needing them could have lights like Afton Mountain's. Safe landings.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yup, side of the road. This is the main use of fog lights. Low flat beam, shine onto white edge of roadway line showing you where it is under fog. Yes they also help spot potholes for similar reasons. My paternal grandfather used to drive sweet corn to market before the sun came up in an old pickup truck. Some mornings the only way to see where you were going was to find the white line on the side of the road, it was so foggy.

Sadly, fog lights kind of morphed into driving lights or look cool lights. I think the led driving lights now accomplish most of that. But they are not fog lights.

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
... Your headlights show what looks almost like a waterfall in front of you. ...
In my experience this effect is the fault of the headlights, which are throwing too much light upwards (no or inadequate cutoff). On a level road there is nothing to be gained by light sent above the horizontal.

My Crosstrek headlights are remarkably good in this regard. My pickup truck headlights are remarkably bad...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts