Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cars front driver and passenger floor boards are pretty wet. Any idea what could be causing this?
I run the heat all the time and no rain here I. Chicago. Just snow.
17giulia with 62k miles
I’m assuming it’s something to do with the ac/heating drain?
That’s the only reasonable thought I could come up with.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well let’s narrow it down.
It’s not a car wash because I haven’t been to one in about 2 weeks. It hasn’t rained here. It did snow though quite a bit and temps did get below freezing but water is on Both sides. Driver and passenger. In the video he only talking about the passenger side.
I also only park in the garage. The only time snow would collect in the wiper area is if I was in the store or something along those lines. Minimum snow.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
The obvious thing would be snow covered boots, but I am going to presume that a person living in Chicago has already thought of that.

The other "usual suspect" is a plugged (frozen?) sunroof drain. Do you have a sunroof?

There is some kind of drain in the floor under the seats. I discovered this when I accidently dumped a gallon of water on the front passenger floor. I also discovered that the OEM floor matts hold an enormous amount of water. I had to pull the matt and hang it vertically and it dribbled for an hour or so plus several hours in the summer desert sun to get it reasonably close to dry.

Anyway, I do not know if it is possible for snow melt to "back up" that floor drain and get the carpet wet.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Could it be a leak perhaps in the wiper fluid line or some other fluid? Maybe check the engine compartment

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The obvious thing would be snow covered boots, but I am going to presume that a person living in Chicago has already thought of that.

The other "usual suspect" is a plugged (frozen?) sunroof drain. Do you have a sunroof?

There is some kind of drain in the floor under the seats. I discovered this when I accidently dumped a gallon of water on the front passenger floor. I also discovered that the OEM floor matts hold an enormous amount of water. I had to pull the matt and hang it vertically and it dribbled for an hour or so plus several hours in the summer desert sun to get it reasonably close to dry.

Anyway, I do not know if it is possible for snow melt to "back up" that floor drain and get the carpet wet.
I have these leather mats that cover the whole carpet. I didn’t even know the carpet was wet until I got a funny smell and I was like you know what maybe I have that problem where the Giulia dash has to come off to fix the drain issue. I remember reading about it. Cant locate it though

2 have tagged that video and here’s what’s different.
My “ac” flap is always on m I never even touch the button. The flap is always closed and I haven’t washed the car in weeks. The car also is garaged so unlike The QV guy an enormous amount of snow didn’t sit on my car.

I don’t believe it’s that cowl issue. Now sunroof wise, yes I do have one, do I believe it’s that? Not so much here’s why. I had a Jaguar XF once well I’ve actually had 4😅but on one the sun roof drain was clogged and the passenger floor would ONLY get wet. Now I think it’s very strange that my driver and passenger side is completely soaked. I think it’s unlikely that both lines got clogged at the same time. Assuming the layout is similar to the jaguar.
also snow doesn’t stick to my sunroof because all glass surfaces on my car is coated. Everything slides right off.

I will be removing the seats tomorrow and vacuuming everything as well as shampooing the carpet. I’ll post an update tomorrow

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I have these leather mats that cover the whole carpet. I didn’t even know the carpet was wet until I got a funny smell and I was like you know what maybe I have that problem where the Giulia dash has to come off to fix the drain issue. I remember reading about it. Cant locate it though

2 have tagged that video and here’s what’s different.
My “ac” flap is always on m I never even touch the button. The flap is always closed and I haven’t washed the car in weeks. The car also is garaged so unlike The QV guy an enormous amount of snow didn’t sit on my car.

I don’t believe it’s that cowl issue. Now sunroof wise, yes I do have one, do I believe it’s that? Not so much here’s why. I had a Jaguar XF once well I’ve actually had 4😅but on one the sun roof drain was clogged and the passenger floor would ONLY get wet. Now I think it’s very strange that my driver and passenger side is completely soaked. I think it’s unlikely that both lines got clogged at the same time. Assuming the layout is similar to the jaguar.
also snow doesn’t stick to my sunroof because all glass surfaces on my car is coated. Everything slides right off.

I will be removing the seats tomorrow and vacuuming everything as well as shampooing the carpet. I’ll post an update tomorrow
Are you going to take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While pouring water by the sunroof this was the only leak i managed to find and it only happened for 1 second. I tried over and over to reproduce it but nope no luck. I doused the front cowl with water with the car on and off no luck.
im going to dry the carpet and just see if they get wet again.

has there been any cases of a hvac unit not draining properly or leaking?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
While pouring water by the sunroof this was the only leak i managed to find and it only happened for 1 second. I tried over and over to reproduce it but nope no luck. I doused the front cowl with water with the car on and off no luck.
im going to dry the carpet and just see if they get wet again.

has there been any cases of a hvac unit not draining properly or leaking?
I thought there were some reported cases of ac drain line become disconnected causing leak into the cabin???

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought there were some reported cases of ac drain line become disconnected causing leak into the cabin???
Yes this! I remember reading about it!
This is what I believe it is. Both sides are wet it’s very hard to believe both sun roof drains are blocked or both cowls are blocked.
I don’t believe it’s a sunroof or cowl issue I think it’s a hvac drain issue. Especially with how much i use the heat this makes sense.
Can anyone chime in that has more knowledge about hvac drain lines

·
Registered
87 Posts
With your A/C on do you still see the dripping under the car? Here in Florida it’s more of a stream than a drip lol glad it’s not the heater core tho

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well unfortunately here in Chicago it’s cold! I haven’t used the ac in mo

With your A/C on do you still see the dripping under the car? Here in Florida it’s more of a stream than a drip lol glad it’s not the heater core tho

1 - 20 of 24 Posts