Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2018 Giulia Ti Sport sustained some front bumper damage after various run-ins with parking curbs and potholes. The final straw (I believe) was a large pothole in a Dairy Queen parking lot just inside the Texas border coming from Louisiana. When I got home to Dallas, I noticed the front bumper on the driver side had popped loose. I took it to the dealership (Alfa Romeo of Fort Worth) where I bought the car, and they told me they don't have a body shop for repair. They referred me to a Nissan dealership in Granbury who provided an $1,100 estimate to replace the bumper.

Granbury isn't very convenient for me since I live in Dallas (work in FW) so I decided to take it to a body shop near my house. The guy told me the best thing would be to replace the bumper, but he offered to glue it back in place for $50 without any sort to of guarantee it'll hold long-term. I figured this was worth every cent for the time being. I was in and out of the shop within 15 minutes (didn't even have time to finish my cup of coffee)!

He told me to remove the yellow tape the following morning, which I did. The repair looks great, but I still haven't driven it so I'm not sure how well it'll hold up. I'll update this post with developments should the repair fail. Just thought I'd share since it seems so many Giulia owners are facing front bumper damage due to low clearance.

Also, the bottom tabs on each side are also broken, but I told him not to worry about those since I figure they'll get replaced if/when I replace the bumper. I was more focused on fixing the aesthetic issue of the popped bumper I noticed every time I entered/exited the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,626 Posts
Nice repair.

Is your car lowered? I find it difficult to imagine driving a stock Giulia into a pothole in a parking lot and having anything hit. I would drive around a pothole that deep.

Also, are those load range 89 tires SL or XL? 89XL is not rated to carry Giulia at the normal inflation pressures (needs about 5PSI over the placard pressure).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't lowered my car, and I don't think the dealership did either. As for the pothole, yes, I should have definitely driven around it. But I didn't see it as the parking lot had a bit of a slope to it, and the pothole was right on the other side.

As for the tires, I'm not sure about the load rating. They're Bridgestone Potenza run-flats that came with the car.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My 2018 Giulia Ti Sport sustained some front bumper damage after various run-ins with parking curbs and potholes. The final straw (I believe) was a large pothole in a Dairy Queen parking lot just inside the Texas border coming from Louisiana. When I got home to Dallas, I noticed the front bumper on the driver side had popped loose. I took it to the dealership (Alfa Romeo of Fort Worth) where I bought the car, and they told me they don't have a body shop for repair. They referred me to a Nissan dealership in Granbury who provided an $1,100 estimate to replace the bumper.

Granbury isn't very convenient for me since I live in Dallas (work in FW) so I decided to take it to a body shop near my house. The guy told me the best thing would be to replace the bumper, but he offered to glue it back in place for $50 without any sort to of guarantee it'll hold long-term. I figured this was worth every cent for the time being. I was in and out of the shop within 15 minutes (didn't even have time to finish my cup of coffee)!

He told me to remove the yellow tape the following morning, which I did. The repair looks great, but I still haven't driven it so I'm not sure how well it'll hold up. I'll update this post with developments should the repair fail. Just thought I'd share since it seems so many Giulia owners are facing front bumper damage due to low clearance.

Also, the bottom tabs on each side are also broken, but I told him not to worry about those since I figure they'll get replaced if/when I replace the bumper. I was more focused on fixing the aesthetic issue of the popped bumper I noticed every time I entered/exited the car.
Believe it or not... I had this exact same problem. The bumper sorta peeled away from the part that was fastened to the frame. The tabs on the bottom were toast. I also resorted to glueing. I didn’t want to file an insurance claim or eat the cost of the bumper. So far so good. Mine is a lease.

In my case, the damage was done coming in and out of parking lots where the level of pavement changes too sharply for the Giulia. I’ve got a nice, non-visible, scuff under the bumper where the paint was rubbed off. I didn’t realize I was doing damage until I saw the bumper flailing there one day.

Lesson learned though. I really gotta baby this thing in and out of some of the parking lots I frequent. I have a Q2. I hear that’s lower than the Q4. How about you?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The mounting tabs have broken at the top edge of the bumper cover, where it meets the quarter panel. Your $50 repair will fail after a couple of bottoming out of the piece, ask me how I know. As it currently goes, I use 3M Automotive Mounting tape, and restick the raised portion every few weeks or months. Rain means a more common repair, as water pressure lifts the tape a bit and reduced the bond strength, resulting in an earlier failure.

The reality of the Giulia is the outside corners of the lower bumper are quite low down and easy to scrape. When they scrape, the impact first cracks the lower mount and then transfers to those mounting tabs, which start cracking. A $1000 repair bill is low, the parts alone are over $800, because the first time you replace the bumper cover, the lower bumper cover needs to be ordered too, because the factory sinters the plastic between that and the upper, and the shop I asked hasn’t successfully salvaged one of them yet. After the replacement, the lower unit is now replaceable independently.

3M VHB tape might work better, but is likely to be a problem if you need to remove the bumper cover sometime.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I won't be surprised if the repair doesn't last through the next bottoming out or two, but I'm going to be a bit more careful with hopes it'll last a while. Then I'll likely spring for the bumper replacement.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I haven't lowered my car, and I don't think the dealership did either. As for the pothole, yes, I should have definitely driven around it. But I didn't see it as the parking lot had a bit of a slope to it, and the pothole was right on the other side.

As for the tires, I'm not sure about the load rating. They're Bridgestone Potenza run-flats that came with the car.
The OEM tires should have the right load rating. I expect that there is no "XL", "extra load" or "extra pressure" indication on the tire sidewall. 89 SL (standard load) and 93XL (what came on my car) have about the same load rating for the same inflation pressure, but the maximum load of 89SL is reached at 36 PSI, while 93XL can go up to 42PSI and carry more weight in the 37-42PSI range.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I find it difficult to imagine driving a stock Giulia into a pothole in a parking lot and having anything hit. I would drive around a pothole that deep.
Just as a side note, I haven’t hit any potholes to cause my issue, it’s been a series of small knocks or rubs, generally from exiting the roadway into parking lots or driveways. The Giulia seems to have an abnormally low approach angle, and we have plenty of well cambered road edges for drainage. My worst hit was on a abrupt dip across a normal neighborhood access road that was camouflaged by a preceding small hump and lots of traffic while we crawled at 20 in a school zone.

While we don’t have potholes like the north, we have lots of steep entries and exits, and there is only so much you can do with slow speeds and angling approaches.

Reactions: bmitch

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
This is disappointing. And the bumper is more expensive than the ST springs I'm looking at. And with my neighbors parents, consistently parking right next to my driveway opening, I don't think I will bother with springs until next year. I have to use my ramps for the Ferrari but that is a special occasion ;)

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
This is disappointing. And the bumper is more expensive than the ST springs I'm looking at. And with my neighbors parents, consistently parking right next to my driveway opening, I don't think I will bother with springs until next year. I have to use my ramps for the Ferrari but that is a special occasion ;)
It is better to have the fascia break than the fender bend.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
448 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Also in Texas (Dallas) where sub par roads are common. Mine happened on Lemmon Avenue. I was able to reattach the lower clips as they were all intact. Only the upper clip is broken. Just ordered 3M auto tape as suggested.

Reactions: LadyFranseska

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same thing happened to me. Also in Texas (Dallas) where sub par roads are common. Mine happened on Lemmon Avenue. I was able to reattach the lower clips as they were all intact. Only the upper clip is broken. Just ordered 3M auto tape as suggested.

View attachment 89259
If the 3M tape doesn't hold (it didn't for me), I can definitely recommend S&C Auto Body Repair (www.sncautobody.com) on Forest Lane. Their $50 glue repair is still holding great on my car so it's been worth every penny. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
448 Posts
If the 3M tape doesn't hold (it didn't for me), I can definitely recommend S&C Auto Body Repair (www.sncautobody.com) on Forest Lane. Their $50 glue repair is still holding great on my car so it's been worth every penny. Good luck!
Great! Thank you for the info. I will try that if the tape doesn't hold.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The tape works for between a week and a couple of months. Water and heat degrade the bond, as do any scrapes. Still on my first $9 roll.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,008 Posts
I live and drive in Minnesota, so I don't want to hear about bad roads. The MN license plates are being updated to say Land of 10,000 Pot Holes/Mile.

Personally I would use the tape. Like @Lokem said, "It is better to have the fascia break than the fender bend".

Also, stop hitting shit. :p

Reactions: bmitch

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sport TI, 2018 Stelvio, 2017 Abarth 124 Spider.
109 Posts
I live and drive in Minnesota, so I don't want to hear about bad roads. The MN license plates are being updated to say Land of 10,000 Pot Holes/Mile.

Personally I would use the tape. Like @Lokem said, "It is better to have the fascia break than the fender bend".

Also, stop hitting shit. :p
You forget though, everything is bigger, better, faster, prettier etc. in Texas... Just ask any Texan.

Apparently, this applies to their potholes too. I am sure that your puny little Minnesota potholes are nothing but little pock marks compared to the big, grand, cavernous potholes they have in Texas!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts