Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen. I have steel brakes on my Giulia. Genuine brake pads lasted 13,000 kilometers. Then I bought the Endless TRZ-S you only lasted 3500 km !!
Now I want to buy new brake discs and pads, but I do not know what. Whether to buy OEM again or something better. The mechanic looked at the brakes and said there were bigger brake discs to go in there. Have you changed some complete front brakes?

Sorry for my english.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dare to disagree. Standard brake pads do not have a very good mix for track days. At high temperatures melts and leaves pieces of material on the brake discs. Then, after cooling, this cloud makes a strong noise and vibrates. The second thing is that standard brake pads do not cover the entire surface of the brake disc. Approximately 3 mm above and below, the pads do not touch and thus reduce the effective friction surface.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
I have never seen disk brake systems that run on the entire iron brake surface. Is there a reason for that?

Brake discs are generally cast iron or carbon-ceramic, not steel.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have never seen disk brake systems that run on the entire iron brake surface. Is there a reason for that?
You mean around the entire circumference?
If so, the reason is cooling. if the entire area is covered, there is no surface left to cool down. They can already overheat as they are now under heavy use...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
You mean around the entire circumference?
If so, the reason is cooling. if the entire area is covered, there is no surface left to cool down. They can already overheat as they are now under heavy use...
No, I meant the entire radius which is what the OP was complaining about. There is maybe 5% of the brake surface that never gets touched by a brake pad, and I have seen that or more on every disc brake vehicle that I have examined.

I can guess at why this is done, but that would be random guessing.
Any brake experts out there know for certain?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I have been writing for a very long time with one person who tested 12 sets of brakes on his Nissan GTR (620PS) than he came up with what works together. He recommended me the Alcon brake discs + Hawk brake pads. I will discuss it with other people over the weekend and then decide. I want to try to fit larger diameter discs because the brake allows it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gentlemen, this is how my brake discs look after 17000 km and brake pads after 3800km.

In the end, I have solved this by letting myself produce racing brake discs, and even the brake pads with a mix right on these wheels. The new wheels will have a larger diameter of 390mm. The result is very curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had front pads and rotors go away after a little less than 5K miles. The car has been to 2.5 track days, but other than that- pretty normal driving. That seems like not much to me. I brought the car to the dealer and was told initially that they would be covered under warranty, but now are telling me that because the car was tracked, it's on me. They also are quoting me a price 60% higher than I can get the parts online (OEM parts).

Has anyone else had a similar experience with premature wear and if so- did you replace with OEM equipment?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,658 Posts
I just had front pads and rotors go away after a little less than 5K miles. The car has been to 2.5 track days, but other than that- pretty normal driving. That seems like not much to me. I brought the car to the dealer and was told initially that they would be covered under warranty, but now are telling me that because the car was tracked, it's on me. They also are quoting me a price 60% higher than I can get the parts online (OEM parts).

Has anyone else had a similar experience with premature wear and if so- did you replace with OEM equipment?

Thanks.
No way id get two track days out of mine. Im at 9k miles and have gone through 65%.

Id be happy if a brand new set lasted one track day (i like to have 30% remaining)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts