Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here’s a photo of my Giulia QV brake cooling duct project. It is all designed out and almost finished. I decided to have the front calipers rebuilt because I overcooked in them my first year tracking with it. I made the mistake of thinking my Giulia was as awesome in sustained hard braking as my 4C is....but it’s not even thought it has carbon ceramic brakes. Lesson learned.

Really great design with the air scoop inlet being made on a 3-D printer.
The system works with the air inlet scoop attached to the lower control arm and it will go up and down with the control arm so it does not hang lower and won’t get knocked off if I go over a bump. The air is directed into a 3 inch diameter tube both a flexed portion and solid tube portion that will direct pressurized air to the custom-made backing plate and through the big hole in the correct area that will push air into the cooling vanes on the inside of the brake rotor. And if you look at the custom-made backing plate you will notice it has edges on the sides so it is a pressurized system so the air that goes in there will be forced into the place it’s needed to cool both the rotor and the pads best. And we were able to design it so we did not lose any turning radius.
Should be on the road with it in about a week.

The 4C could be done this exact way. But I am using a custom front bumper air inlet instead.

We will able to offer this for sale for both the CCB and steel rotors soon.

Cooling kits like this can give you up to 50% longer brake life and also improved brake performance at the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Front brake cooling mod

This is awesome, did you make that plate yourself?
What if I just put a hole on the oem one?

Ps mine is a 2.0T not a QV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 4C brake cooling and front grill. 4C almost ready for take off!
I was going to powder coat these grills black but I might leave them silver.
Pretty wild looking! Looks a bit like a spaceship now.
They are just holding the grills on one side and they’re not finished. They will be snug tight and they will bend with the bumper angle.
I know some people don’t want to change the look of the car and I understand that but my cars a bit past that already with the wings and splitters. It’s more of an advanced track or show car now so I’m OK with changing the looks a bit.
The photo of the inside of the bumper shows the brake cooling funnel intake that was made on 3-D printer.

My Giulia brake cooling mod will be similar but just be scooping air from underneath the front of the car from custom made air scoops made on a 3-D printer also. But no new car bumper grills on that car’s project.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Did you look at the stock vent duct in the Quad bumper/fender well? Don't have a pic here right now. It's a small slot visible from bumper and front of wheel arch. About 1/4 inch by 4 inches.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you look at the stock vent duct in the Quad bumper/fender well? Don't have a pic here right now. It's a small slot visible from bumper and front of wheel arch. About 1/4 inch by 4 inches.
Those vents are being used for the intercooler already. My air scoops are connected to the control arm and hidden

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Right, of course!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Brake cooling mod finished and working great. Still have full lock to lock turning.

This mod will pay for itself real quick if you track your car it should extend brake pad and rotor life about 50% in tracking conditions. Front brake pads in parts alone are about $1,400 for the carbon fiber brakes like I have.

My local race shop will be retailing this for around $1,100. My race shop owner says if anyone is interested in them to call him.
Hank
Advanced Auto Fab
(509) 924-7006‬
http://advancedautofab.com/

Parts included our new custom made backing plates with 3 inch diameter hole, vent tubing and custom-made air intake scoops made on a 3-D printer. The air intake scoop only hangs down about a half inch lower than the rest of the car. Air scoops are mounted on the control arm so they go up and down over bumps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
This is a well thought out mod, Al. I've been following the discussion on the 4C Forum about this mod. This is something that anybody who tracks their Giulia should consider, even if it's not a QV model.

Did you do any temperature testing before starting this mod to see what's going on? Before and after temps are important (to me).

note: I moved this thread into the brake section.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a well thought out mod, Al. I've been following the discussion on the 4C Forum about this mod. This is something that anybody who tracks their Giulia should consider, even if it's not a QV model.

Did you do any temperature testing before starting this mod to see what's going on? Before and after temps are important (to me).

note: I moved this thread into the brake section.
Thanks I really like it too. There’s not too many mods that actually pay for themselves and then start saving you money.

Yes for tracking people really good thing. Normal and even hard street drivers really don’t need it.
When you track your car hard you exponentially wear out your brakes and the brakes on this car are a little pricey. Plus you can reach your brake temperature limit in just three or four really hard hot laps. With this mod that timeframe should be extended quite a bit.

It’s still snowing here dude! I thought I would wait until the temperature warms up to at least 60F at the track before doing any temps.
On April 7 I’m taking both Alfas to the track and I’ll track them both and do some temps.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Local! Great design and a wonderful addition to help prolong the life of brakes from a system that should've been designed a bit better (ie cooling ducts).

Brake cooling mod finished and working great. Still have full lock to lock turning.

This mod will pay for itself real quick if you track your car it should extend brake pad and rotor life about 50% in tracking conditions. Front brake pads in parts alone are about $1,400 for the carbon fiber brakes like I have.

My local race shop will be retailing this for around $1,100. My race shop owner says if anyone is interested in them to call him.
Hank
Advanced Auto Fab
(509) 924-7006‬
http://advancedautofab.com/

Parts included our new custom made backing plates with 3 inch diameter hole, vent tubing and custom-made air intake scoops made on a 3-D printer. The air intake scoop only hangs down about a half inch lower than the rest of the car. Air scoops are mounted on the control arm so they go up and down over bumps.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
210 Posts
Thanks I really like it too. There’s not too many mods that actually pay for themselves and then start saving you money.

Yes for tracking people really good thing. Normal and even hard street drivers really don’t need it.
When you track your car hard you exponentially wear out your brakes and the brakes on this car are a little pricey. Plus you can reach your brake temperature limit in just three or four really hard hot laps. With this mod that timeframe should be extended quite a bit.

It’s still snowing here dude! I thought I would wait until the temperature warms up to at least 60F at the track before doing any temps.
On April 7 I’m taking both Alfas to the track and I’ll track them both and do some temps.
My apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead, but was wondering @Call me Al if you were ever able to do any testing with this mod?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I did some testing and it definitely helped last the CCB brake pads last a bit longer maybe 25% longer and kept the brakes from getting real hot somewhat.
But the air scoops hung down a little bit below Control arms so if you were street driving it and go over a parking bump it would hit the scoops also if you turn the wheel lock to lock it would hit the scopes and they cracked and broke. Tried moving the scoops up a bit but still when you turn the lock to lock it would hit them and break them. Sulfur Street driving or some of the drifting competition stuff I did it was not a good idea.
Then I did the Girodisc iron rotor brake conversion that uses the Raybestos ST43R brake pads and it was so fantastic that I didn’t even need brake cooling anymore so I took everything off.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
Have you had a look at the Ti Sport brake vents? Might it be possible to connect your scoops to there? I know that is not what you have, but a lot of Alfa enthusiasts do.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you had a look at the Ti Sport brake vents? Might it be possible to connect your scoops to there? I know that is not what you have, but a lot of Alfa enthusiasts do.
No I haven’t thought about that but I’d really don’t even need brake cooling with the Girodisc.
I am building a mild widebody kit to fit wider tires on this winter and in making this I might look at adding some air flow to the brake areas.
I know I’m going to add some forced air to the differential area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.