Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am a newbie from London. Just posted a new thread as follows - have no idea where the best place to post this so cut and pasting.

Dear American Alfisti, I'm new to this forum and thinking of buying the QF. Looks like a gorgeous, quick and potentially practical family car (480l boot, same as my f30 BMW 330i). I'll be taking one on a test drive soon - hopefully extended - to see for myself, but I have a few reservations and I would be grateful to hear people's views.

1. Ground clearance. The QF has 100m. That's low. My BMW has 140mm, My friend's 911 Turbo S has 117mm, the M3 has 119mm. Tame / stock Aston Martins tend to have around 119mm. R8 had/has about 90mm which I know can be a real pain. I live in London and there are speedbumps. There is the occasional field, or muddy / rutted driveway when we go to see family in the country. Is it mad to get a car with 100mm ground clearance? Or can you mod it? A button that could raise it a few cms in different modes would be ideal...

2. Brakes. Lots of stop-start in London. Is it basically impossible to bring this car to a smooth, jolt-ish free stop? Or is it just practice? Could there be tweaks in 2018MY? would my wife kill me?

3. I want to track the car. Silverstone, Brands Hatch, go to Wales (evo triangle - that's for spirited road driving, not a track) etc. Have heard so many gripes about reliability generally, especially the LSD overheating etc (three laps of a mid size circuit and rest, repeat etc.)

That all said it is an utterly gorgeous Alfa with an utterly gorgeous engine. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Hi there, I am a newbie from London. Just posted a new thread as follows - have no idea where the best place to post this so cut and pasting.

Dear American Alfisti, I'm new to this forum and thinking of buying the QF. Looks like a gorgeous, quick and potentially practical family car (480l boot, same as my f30 BMW 330i). I'll be taking one on a test drive soon - hopefully extended - to see for myself, but I have a few reservations and I would be grateful to hear people's views.

1. Ground clearance. The QF has 100m. That's low. My BMW has 140mm, My friend's 911 Turbo S has 117mm, the M3 has 119mm. Tame / stock Aston Martins tend to have around 119mm. R8 had/has about 90mm which I know can be a real pain. I live in London and there are speedbumps. There is the occasional field, or muddy / rutted driveway when we go to see family in the country. Is it mad to get a car with 100mm ground clearance? Or can you mod it? A button that could raise it a few cms in different modes would be ideal...

2. Brakes. Lots of stop-start in London. Is it basically impossible to bring this car to a smooth, jolt-ish free stop? Or is it just practice? Could there be tweaks in 2018MY? would my wife kill me?

3. I want to track the car. Silverstone, Brands Hatch, go to Wales (evo triangle - that's for spirited road driving, not a track) etc. Have heard so many gripes about reliability generally, especially the LSD overheating etc (three laps of a mid size circuit and rest, repeat etc.)

That all said it is an utterly gorgeous Alfa with an utterly gorgeous engine. Thoughts?
Although USA members seem to be predominant, this is an international forum and I believe there are other British members.

I have a Ti Q4 on order. It has about 150mm of ground clearance, similar to my Mazda Protege. Ti Q2 has about 125mm of ground clearance. My Protege can only clear the roughest parts of my dirt driveway after I have smoothed the driveway out. I do not know if anything more than the spring lengths are different in the suspension between the Q4, Q2 and QV. There is no option for variable height suspension from AR and no purpose designed kit available to add such a feature to the car at this time. Generic hybrid metal spring-pneumatic spring kits are available, but will stiffen the spring rate unless softer metal springs can be located and add some weight. I want to be able to both lower and raise the suspension without altering the spring rate of the car, but haven't found an appropriate product for sale yet and don't really want to engineer it myself.

Regarding the brakes I had no problems when I test drove the car, so I expect that it is a matter of practice and varies from person to person depending on how much you brake by the feel of the car versus brake by the feel of the brake pedal.

The QV model has a torque vectoring differential, not an LSD. A mechanical LSD is an option on the Ti (and base?) models. Anyway, there are several threads on the forums regarding track experiences.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer and thoughts on on ground clearance. Yes, not LSD my mistake. I like the idea of the Ti Q4 - that is a very good amount of power/torque and weight saving at the front. Usefully quicker than my f30 330i too. Shame the QV doesn't come with more 'lusso' type options, eg the off-white seats, footwells, lower dash and wood. I hope your car comes soon.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Thanks for your answer and thoughts on on ground clearance. Yes, not LSD my mistake. I like the idea of the Ti Q4 - that is a very good amount of power/torque and weight saving at the front. Usefully quicker than my f30 330i too. Shame the QV doesn't come with more 'lusso' type options, eg the off-white seats, footwells, lower dash and wood. I hope your car comes soon.
You are welcome. QV interior is available in "Ice", which I believe is a very light gray that includes the foot wells and lower dash; I'm not sure about the seat color. Keep in mind that white or off white footwells get dirty almost instantaneously.

I think there is a general consensus on the forum that AR should offer custom ordering "ala carte". For example, a lot of people want QV carbon fiber bits in their Ti. However, I don't think any of the mass manufacturers are offering ala carte ordering at this time.

My car is not due until almost Winter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BMW offers a programme called 'individual' which allows you to customise pretty much anything (I think) but it comes at a hefty price premium. I am sure Alfa will cotton on to all of this. It's incredible that they've developed a car that is beating class-leaders across all the disciplines of what people want - looks, performance, dynamics - in so short a time. The other stuff will come, fingers crossed. Shame about all the reliability stories but I take that with a pinch of salt (my BMW started showing a check-control for the auto-SOS system a few months ago. Haven't had time to take it in. And my dad's had quite a few issues with his old X5, so let's not pretend other cars don't have issues.)

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Unfortunately AR does not offer the ability to pick and choose the combination of parts to install on the car at this time. What I want from the list of parts AR has for Giulia is

Ti Q4 with

Carbon Fiber hood.
Carbon Fiber roof.
Tecnico Rims (19x8.5 on all 4 corners, 5mm spacers may be required).
Light weight cast iron rotors from the QV (requires QV brake calipers too).
Carbon Fiber interior trim.
With 19" sport appearance but no NAV.
Carbon Fiber mirror covers (offered via Mopar)
Carbon Fiber front grill V (offered via Mopar)
Carbon Fiber illuminated door sills (offered via Mopar)
The tires I want in the size I want, rather than whatever AR can get the best deal on (OK, AR does not have the tires I want on hand).
Tire inflation kit, so that run flats are not required.

I might even want the QV seats, but I haven't investigated that. I am pretty sure all of these parts will simply fit. Although if going with QV front seats the rear seat style probably won't match (I am pretty sure that the QV rear seat will NOT fit the 2.0T models). It is too bad that the Sparco seats lack heaters.

Ti Q4 summer use best tire (as far as I can tell) are Michelin Pilot Sport (A/S 3, A/S 3+, or 4S, depending on your road condition/temperature) in the 255 35R19 size (you cannot fit chains of any kind with this size installed). These are light weight, durable, and sticky, if perhaps a bit expensive.

Ti Q4 winter use best studless tire that will fit on 19" rims seems to be Michelin XIce. These are available in 245 40R19, I do not know if 255 35R19 is available. The 245 40R19 will fit on the stock Ti Q4 19x8 rims. Again, chains won't fit with oversize tires.

Without the oversize brakes, the 18" rims should be a better option than the 19" rims (better fuel economy, almost identical handling, better ability to deal with very rough roads), but I find the 18" AR rims not nearly as attractive as the 19" rims. I'm not sure if AR offers the 18" rims combined with the "performance" front grill, rear diffuser and black window surrounds.

Anyway, upgrading a Ti Q4 that I can order as above will cost me a lot of money, plus the time and effort to put everything together. AR is missing an opportunity to get their share of this.

Option wise I think AR has a better offering with the QV, although you may be stuck with the NAV and the Harman Kardon boat anchor. I need AWD, a fold down rear seat and better fuel economy than QV offers, so it is not "on the table" for me.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Unfortunately AR does not offer the ability to pick and choose the combination of parts to install on the car at this time. What I want from the list of parts AR has for Giulia is

Ti Q4 with

Carbon Fiber hood.
Carbon Fiber roof.
Tecnico Rims (19x8.5 on all 4 corners, 5mm spacers may be required).
Light weight cast iron rotors from the QV (requires QV brake calipers too).
Carbon Fiber interior trim.
With 19" sport appearance but no NAV.
Carbon Fiber mirror covers (offered via Mopar)
Carbon Fiber front grill V (offered via Mopar)
Carbon Fiber illuminated door sills (offered via Mopar)
The tires I want in the size I want, rather than whatever AR can get the best deal on (OK, AR does not have the tires I want on hand).
Tire inflation kit, so that run flats are not required.

I might even want the QV seats, but I haven't investigated that. I am pretty sure all of these parts will simply fit. Although if going with QV front seats the rear seat style probably won't match (I am pretty sure that the QV rear seat will NOT fit the 2.0T models). It is too bad that the Sparco seats lack heaters.

Ti Q4 summer use best tire (as far as I can tell) are Michelin Pilot Sport (A/S 3, A/S 3+, or 4S, depending on your road condition/temperature) in the 255 35R19 size (you cannot fit chains of any kind with this size installed). These are light weight, durable, and sticky, if perhaps a bit expensive.

Ti Q4 winter use best studless tire that will fit on 19" rims seems to be Michelin XIce. These are available in 245 40R19, I do not know if 255 35R19 is available. The 245 40R19 will fit on the stock Ti Q4 19x8 rims. Again, chains won't fit with oversize tires.

Without the oversize brakes, the 18" rims should be a better option than the 19" rims (better fuel economy, almost identical handling, better ability to deal with very rough roads), but I find the 18" AR rims not nearly as attractive as the 19" rims. I'm not sure if AR offers the 18" rims combined with the "performance" front grill, rear diffuser and black window surrounds.

Anyway, upgrading a Ti Q4 that I can order as above will cost me a lot of money, plus the time and effort to put everything together. AR is missing an opportunity to get their share of this.

Option wise I think AR has a better offering with the QV, although you may be stuck with the NAV and the Harman Kardon boat anchor. I need AWD, a fold down rear seat and better fuel economy than QV offers, so it is not "on the table" for me.
Man, I would simply buy the QF, simply as it will cost just much. I too had my version of the perfect Giulia configured (TI, Misano blue, moonroof, sport package with yellow calipers, 19" wheel package, cold weather package, navigation, collision warning, black and tan interior) for $45K, but the customer service guy told me the configurator is only used to see what all can be done. I like my Giulia, but the one I configured would have been perfect, and just as much as I paid now for it.

I leased this one to see how well it returns value, reliability, etc, but if I but another one, I want it to be the way I want it.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Man, I would simply buy the QF, simply as it will cost just much. I too had my version of the perfect Giulia configured (TI, Misano blue, moonroof, sport package with yellow calipers, 19" wheel package, cold weather package, navigation, collision warning, black and tan interior) for $45K, but the customer service guy told me the configurator is only used to see what all can be done. I like my Giulia, but the one I configured would have been perfect, and just as much as I paid now for it.

I leased this one to see how well it returns value, reliability, etc, but if I but another one, I want it to be the way I want it.
But then no AWD, inadequate ground clearance, and no 35MPG (more or less) on the highway. If you don't need those things then you might do differently.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree with Lockem I so wanted to purchase the QV and I'm still leaning to pulling the trigger. But my biggest thing was the AWD and then the gas mileage as this is my main daily car. If they came out with an AWD and even if the gas mileage didn't improve I would be first in line. We just have too much moisture here in the show me state. I would just give my Q4 to my oldest son as an early college graduation gift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts