Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, we're driving our Giulia Ti Q2 form one coast to the other. Four days ago we were at home in Los Angeles, California with 800 miles on our new Giulia. Today, we are 1700 miles away in Newton, Iowa. The main purpose of the trip is to go to Buffalo, New York for my wife's 50th High School reunion. Then we're driving up into Maine where my wife's sister owns a camp. Then we're headed south to Hatteras, North Carolina were my wife's friend owns a beach house. We'll be stopping in the Boston area for a few days to visit some of my old haunts. If things work out, we'll also make a pit stop at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut and meet up with @BostonDMD.

We'll be away six weeks and log 8,000 miles, or more.

It's late and I'm tired, so I'll keep it short for now.

The scenery has been gorgeous and the car drives great. No issues at all.

Climbing the San Bernardino Mountains and later the Colorado Rockies, the oil temp gauge rose one bar above normal. The ambient air temp was steep and I was driving hard with the AC on. Other than that, the oil temp has been steady on four bars.

Learning the fuel level gauge has been interesting. It's a 15.3 gallon tank. When it says 3/4 full, I can add 6 gallons. At 1/2 tank, I can add 10 gallons. Interestingly, at 1/2 tank, the car tells me I have enough fuel to drive another 300 miles. Keep in mind that I've already driven 300 miles. Then suddenly, the level drops and the low fuel warning comes on and the range says 100 miles to go.

I've been trying to experiment with the MPG readout. It's not exactly consistent. I'm starting to thing there is no real difference in fuel consumption between D, N & A. I've been resetting Trip A every 30 miles, recording the display, then switching modes for another 30 miles. The road through Nebraska was flat and straight with no traffic. Cruise Control on and all variables as consistent as possible. D & A modes were about 35 mpg and N mode was 50 mpg. Stopped for a quick pee and tried it all again. Now D & N are about 37 mpg and A mode spikes to 47 mpg. I haven't seen any consistency to suggest the A is actually 'Advanced Efficiency'. For these experiments, I'm only reading things once I'm at speed, ignoring any town driving.

So far, we're averaging an over all 32 mpg for the 1700 miles.

The car is very well suited for touring on Interstates and back roads. Smooth. Easy to drive. She ignores the rain grooves and trucker's ruts. The suspension absorbs the lumps and bumps that other cars transmit to the occupants. My wife and I have been on other long distant tours in other vehicles and I feel much less fatigue in the Giulia.

We've been taking pictures that will be posted later. Sleep is needed now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting and helpful information, especially with regard to the gas tank's non-linear behavior. Good to know..

In a 1700 journey in our "newish" Q4 with the air conditioner running, we also averaged about 31 or 32 MPG. That is at or slightly better than the EPA highway rating on the window sticker!

Safe travels!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Have fun, looking fwd to the pics! Pity you're going to be 35 minutes from me with my favorite Bostonian and I wil be 1000s of miles away at that time (I must plan better!) safe journey :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm only just over 1200 miles on my new Giulia AWD. However, I have checked out the tach at 2000 rpm's and I was doing exactly 77 mph on a level freeway. 63 mph at 1500 rpm's. Both in 8th gear, auto D. Those impressive mpg figures above don't surprise me. :smile2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Photos of the cross country journey would be nice! ;)

Only thing I've noticed between the three modes is that 'D' makes the throttle response much better, 'A' will put the gearbox into neutral if you're coasting. Otherwise, the biggest difference between three modes is that they change the display screen.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
I second the call for photos. Buffalo and Maine, eh? That's close-to-home for me. I'm originally from Rochester (and close to the same age), and my kids spent several summers at camps in Maine. July sounds nice for a reunion. I rarely make it to mine in June because of conflicts. I hope you'll be in Maine after parent visiting weekend at the summer camps. The southern half of the state is a zoo that weekend.

'A' mode also seems to want to keep the car in the highest gear possible when under power. I'm not really sure what the display's "twin globe" screen is trying to tell me. Does your Giulia have adaptive cruise control, and have you been using it?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Looking forward in meeting you! Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
As the title suggests, we're driving our Giulia Ti Q2 form one coast to the other.
So far, we're averaging an over all 32 mpg for the 1700 miles.

Racer Z,

How fast are you driving and is this a straight highway cruise or are you stopping every hour or so to sight-see or whatever?
EPA is 33MPG for your car with the original wheels. I believe the current EPA rating assumes 70MPH. Do you have your 19" Michelin setup on?

What octane fuel are you able to get? There has been some conjecture that fuel economy may significantly improve with 93 octane compared to 91 octane.

Others have reported that fuel economy drops rapidly above 75MPH. Many of the freeways and even some secondary roads that go in your general direction have a 75MPH and some even are 80MPH speed limit, and I suspect that you are not likely drive at or below that value :)

I think speed limits will decrease as you progress eastward.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have fun, looking fwd to the pics! Pity you're going to be 35 minutes from me with my favorite Bostonian and I wil be 1000s of miles away at that time (I must plan better!) safe journey :)
Enjoy you're European Vacation FNM. I lived in Germany for 2.5 years with the US Army. I had a blast driving all around seeing all that I could.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I second the call for photos. Buffalo and Maine, eh? That's close-to-home for me. I'm originally from Rochester (and close to the same age), and my kids spent several summers at camps in Maine. July sounds nice for a reunion. I rarely make it to mine in June because of conflicts. I hope you'll be in Maine after parent visiting weekend at the summer camps. The southern half of the state is a zoo that weekend.

'A' mode also seems to want to keep the car in the highest gear possible when under power. I'm not really sure what the display's "twin globe" screen is trying to tell me. Does your Giulia have adaptive cruise control, and have you been using it?
I'm using cruise control. Have no idea if it's adaptive or not. The car stays a steady pace both up hill and down as well as flat ground. Seems to be able to drop a gear and use engine braking or dab the brakes on the steep down hill grinders. I became concerned that it was actually using the brakes going down the Rockies and turned off the CC. I dropped her another gear and let her sit on 85 with the rest of traffic. LMAO at all the brake lights and the smell of hot brakes. It wasn't my brakes over-heating.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
We just might. We would like to visit the Smithsonian if we have time. That's an all day sucker. Never been there and there's no point in being there for anything less that the entire day.
All day? Depending on your interests it could be all week. Don't forget Udvar-Hazy if you're an airplane buff.

Reactions: John_K_348
1 - 20 of 49 Posts