Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I finally let my 2010 XFR roll down the hill and pulled the trigger on a 2017 Giulia QV. Purchased from Portland and drove down to California few days ago. I have no idea why I didn't purchase this car before. What a performer!!

Anyways, I am new here and located in Walnut Creek, CA. Love to see where do you guys go riding.

One question I have and wonder if you guys have similar experience. On my drive down from Portland to California, I was able to stretch 130+mph and noticed a VERY annoying whistle right next to the right side mirror..... is this common? I could hear even at 100mph.

Cheers
ALex

Ps. Love to attach a picture but 1Mb max file requirement??? Seriously, that's a joke! Every phone image these days are 2 to 3Mb. :surprise:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome Alex, never had a complaint of a wind noise so far, but I can take a look on Saturday to see if it’s common.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
No noise. Same year. Only have gone slightly over 100 and no noise almost too easy and too silent. I was not in R mode

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ironically I came from a 2011 Jaguar XFR to the Quad. It took me a long time to get rid of that car because it was a such great performer. I just couldn't find anything really that could compare until the Guilia!

I have been extremely happy with my Quad. It handles much better then the jag. Not sure if it could win a quarter mile but it would be close. That second gear on the XFR was a killer! But y he Alfa is just more fun feeling it race through the gears is an awesome feeling! With the always open exhaust installed the Alfa actually sounds better too!

Loved my XFR probably the best car I have ever owned hopefully the Alfa will one day replace it. Definitely looks like it will right now.

As for wind noise I have none in my Alfa it is scary quite while driving even well over 100mph. Doesn't feel like you are going anywhere close to that.

FYI I still have a Jaguar F type convertible V-8 which the acceleration is smiliar to the XFR just much much louder! Convertible F type is a whole other type of fun!

·
Registered
348 Posts
in regards to good roads near you, I recently moved from Dublin Ca out to Raleigh NC. In Pleasanton (just a bit south of you down 680) there's Palomares Road which will take you to the fun part of Niles Canyon road. You can make a pretty nice loop out of that. There's also Redwood Road over towards Oakland. That's a blast on a bike, still great fun in a car. If you don't mind a bit of distance, you can take Mines Road from Livermore into San Jose (San Antonio Valley Road) across some of the windiest stuff you'll find in the Bay Area. Calaveras Road between Milpitas and I think it's considered Hayward is pretty fun as well, though pretty narrow. You have to be really good about looking several turns ahead to see if cars are coming, as it's a squeeze. Enjoy the car and enjoy the Bay Area!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Check if window trim is properly and tightly attached.....couple of people had a bit poorly attached trim and it causes noises you describe......also check integrity of door seals, also couple of guys had their replaced

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have been extremely happy with my Quad. It handles much better then the jag. Not sure if it could win a quarter mile but it would be close. That second gear on the XFR was a killer! But y he Alfa is just more fun feeling it race through the gears is an awesome feeling!
I think it’s a matter of the Jag’s supercharged V8 feeling more torquey off the line but even though they make a similar 500hp the Jag is much heavier, probably near a 1/2 ton. I’ve seen the QV in the mid to high 11’s 1/4 mile and the Jag is mid 12’s. The QV isn’t even what I’d consider a drag strip car but it still can get down the strip pretty quick for a sedan. It’s far happier down shifting into mid tac while moving, feels pretty impressive doing that too, than lurching from a standstill off the line.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I enjoyed the Jag but man, the QV is a complete different beast. It is like you are dating a 20 year old again.

The roads here in NorCal are great. Specially up north near Marin country with several great options like Highway 1. Looking forward to it.

Cheers
Alex

·
Registered
646 Posts
There’s been a fair amount of drivers side wind noise complaints on this forum. I have a Ti and I too get wind noise (a light whistle) that seems to be coming from side mirror at about 65mph+. I have checked the trim and fitment and all seems ok. Maybe some type of aero drag. I just crank up the music.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts