Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard that the Giulia has a tendency to throw a check engine light at the slightest provocation. Is this tendency, if true, teething pains of the early production models? Are newer production models less prone to this. Would appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
June 2017 production, never had a check engine light. As far as I'm aware, most of those kinds of issues were fixed with electronic updates. The check engine light I know often occurred if people didn't close their hoods correctly or if they pressed the brake and gas pedal at the same time. You can check the TSB thread on the forum if you want to find out more about the issues and which production period they occurred during.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is good to hear. My knowledge is limited on this and I think what I had heard was friends talking based on an article that may have appeared in the automotive press about 18 months ago or so. One would certainly like to believe that Alfa would step up an sort out any issues.

Steve

·
Registered
647 Posts
Build date February 2017. Purchase date June 2017. No check engine light!

Reactions: kattlin

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
That is good to hear. My knowledge is limited on this and I think what I had heard was friends talking based on an article that may have appeared in the automotive press about 18 months ago or so. One would certainly like to believe that Alfa would step up an sort out any issues.

Steve
Most of the press is garbage, written by underpaid invertebrates that need to create clickbait articles full of cliches to get some views, or to push someone's agenda. They are still propagating Alfa stories from the 80s.
The reality is that today's Giulia is manufactured in a state of the art plant and that is just as reliable as its competitors, probably more:

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/life...liability-survey-alfa-romeo-make-top-5-honda/

My experience: I have 6k flawless miles, and I never loved a car so much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
MY18, July 2017 build. Check engine light one time after being out in extreme cold. Ran fine. Reset itself after a few starts. Hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Ask anyone what they have heard about the Alfa Romeo Giulia and the first thing that will pop into their heads is Motor Trend Car of the Year, 2018. Everything else is as Il Conte put it. I haven't even begun to push my Quad yet. Still learning her and dealing with winter complications on summer tires. The latest thing to stand out to me now is the low end torque. Sure this is the Quad but you can feel it on your butt dyno every time you switch cars. My Miata is making at least 190hp with the supercharger but you have to load up the vacuum system to get into boost. I will compare the power to weight ratios with the Quad but this car is amazing to me. (Need a dyno run for real) I don't even mind the stock nav system compared to dealing with my phone set up in my 17 year old Miata! :D

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Stock NB with Fast Forward Supercharger 12.35 lbs/hp
Giulia Quadrifoglio 6.65 lbs/hp

That's like a 50% difference. You can feel that. It's a nice place to be. :D

Giulia Ti 10.81 lbs.hp

Even better than my Baby Beast :)

If she is pushing 205 hp than it's 11.45 lbs. hp

That seems close as I have full 2.3 inch exhaust, high flow cat, with 4-2-1 header. 3 inch intake pipe with high flow cone filter, cool box. Need that dyno run before the body rusts off ;)

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Where is it?

Most of the press is garbage, written by underpaid invertebrates that need to create clickbait articles full of cliches to get some views, or to push someone's agenda. They are still propagating Alfa stories from the 80s.
The reality is that today's Giulia is manufactured in a state of the art plant and that is just as reliable as its competitors, probably more:

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/life...liability-survey-alfa-romeo-make-top-5-honda/

My experience: I have 6k flawless miles, and I never loved a car so much.

I am approaching 10k miles with my February 2017 build date Ti Q4. Had one CEL the first month of ownership which resulted from a well-known glitch that was resolved via an RRT update. Nothing but pure driving bliss ever since.

BTW, I've seen and followed this link several times, but don't see any Alfa Romeo model's listed in any of the categories. Giulia is not in Executive Cars or Luxury Cars. Am I missing it? I see a list for coupes but none for sedans (or saloons). Maybe that's where it is.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
BTW, I've seen and followed this link several times, but don't see any Alfa Romeo model's listed in any of the categories. Giulia is not in Executive Cars or Luxury Cars. Am I missing it? I see a list for coupes but none for sedans (or saloons). Maybe that's where it is.
There's the Giulietta in the family car section. They might have forgot the Giulia or previous models, AR has been in the uk for a long time.

·
Registered
440 Posts
5600 miles. No CELs.

As others have already stated the folks that have been making those claims on Alfa's reliability are also the same folks that have probably never driven the Alfa or the Giulia in particular. Perpetuating false stereotypes. Moreover, considering that it's an entirely new platform, just to have a few software niggles (that have already been fixed) out of the box is pretty **** impressive.

The Giulia from a reliability standpoint is no different from it's german counterparts.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
Stock NB with Fast Forward Supercharger 12.35 lbs/hp
Giulia Quadrifoglio 6.65 lbs/hp

That's like a 50% difference. You can feel that. It's a nice place to be. :D

Giulia Ti 10.81 lbs.hp

Even better than my Baby Beast :)

If she is pushing 205 hp than it's 11.45 lbs. hp

That seems close as I have full 2.3 inch exhaust, high flow cat, with 4-2-1 header. 3 inch intake pipe with high flow cone filter, cool box. Need that dyno run before the body rusts off ;)
Way off topic, but:

The 2.0T is 280HP and about 3500 pounds (3500-3700 depending on equipment) for 12.5 pounds/hp.
With the Eurocompulsion tune it is about 350 HP for 10.0 pounds/hp.
QV is 505HP and about 3750 pounds (3700-3900 depending on equipment) for 7.4 pounds/hp.

On the 2.0T major factors in vehicle weight are expected to be the HK audio, sunroof, and Q4 options. LSD probably adds a bit too.

On the QV major factors in vehicle weight are the wheels (Tecnico is about 25 pounds lighter than 5 hole, all unsprung rotating mass too), brakes, and seats.

I forget what the various QV tunes produce to have that computation available.

I expect that your baby beast is about 2500 pounds, so at 190HP it is 13.2 pounds/hp.
My underpowered Protege is about 2700 pounds and 122HP, so a terrible 22.1 pounds/hp. No issues with torque steer though--not enough torque to make it happen. Even so I can chirp the tires in 2nd.

Using wheel HP numbers are more reliable predictors of performance, but all of the numbers will all be larger. Also, adding the weight of the driver will increase the numbers but make them more meaningful; it will also degrade the numbers for baby beast more than QV.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK lockem, I just used the numbers off Wikipedia and I did not estimate. Yes, we need to add driver weights but looking at the Quad figures, we're hardly outside the 10% scientific margin of error so I'm not sure if there is anything to fuss about? Point was, you will feel the 2.9 twin turbo. And yes, it was way off topic but I am now dealing with snotty teenagers and helpless Luddites so please excuse any "attitude" in this response. I wish I could squeeze a 10% standard of error out of those stupid kids! ;) Yeah the weather sucks too. But tomorrow I bring my Quad down to complete the skirt wrap. Got to scrape the driveway tonight.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I meant stupid kids at work... I was running out of patience. ;) Giulia is an awesome car. 280 hp is nothing to sneeze at. Software fixes in 2018s will be fine. Go for it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.