Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to realize just how fragile these 5 Holes are. Without hitting curbs I get little chips on the edge of them. The Duplicolor paint works good though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I haven’t used them, but have you tried those plastic adhesive edge protector strips. You might I get away with using black on those 5 holes to protect those edges. Maybe someone who has used them can chime in with any successes with this product. I know they’re only a few bucks for set online, Ebay etc. Might be worth a try?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t used them, but have you tried those plastic adhesive edge protector strips. You might I get away with using black on those 5 holes to protect those edges. Maybe someone who has used them can chime in with any successes with this product. I know they’re only a few bucks for set online, Ebay etc. Might be worth a try?
I looked into them but you have to remove the tire to fit them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Alfa55,

I have a small scratch on one of my 5 holes. Where did you purchase the duplicolor you mentioned and what color did you purchase to get the exact match?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
GM paint is a pretty good match. Get some metal filler too. I was pretty happy with how mine worked out before I fouled up one of the spokes. But I was covered under road hazard and the wheel got chipped when the tire was replaced. You can use an exacto knife to tool down the filler without sanding for a good spot touch up.

GM BGM0508 ultra silver metallic. Duplicolor at most stores.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=66777&d=1524264488

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have similar wheels on my other car. Tecnicos on the QV. In one year I had 2 wheel repairs it started at 85 a wheel and popped to $150 for the Mini. Not sure what repairs are on the bigger wheels on the Giulia but I am sure it isn’t cheap. I never thought of doing my own repair because they said the tire has to come off. I still want ot replace the tecnico with the Bright 5 hole which may be easier to touch up then the tecnico. So far the tecnico has held up well but we are really careful parking and I don’t cut the curbs close. Road hazards not much you can do but we did not get the wheel coverage and not sure they even offered it at the point of sale.

I wonder why they cant forge the 5 hole. If it is just because of the rounded design and forging requires more of a spoke to shape correctly or they would just be cost prohibitive.

Question: Are the 5 hole on the QV the same 5 hole that are on the Ti’s? I ask because I call one place and they say all the wheels are forged call another and they say no only the Tecnico the 5 hole are form filled. It seems like a dark secret that you would have to cut one to find out what it is made out of.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
They are almost the same except for the width. The Ti wheels are square front to back afaik, or staggered. But QV are definitely staggered and 8.5 front 10 rear.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I have similar wheels on my other car. Tecnicos on the QV. In one year I had 2 wheel repairs it started at 85 a wheel and popped to $150 for the Mini. Not sure what repairs are on the bigger wheels on the Giulia but I am sure it isn’t cheap. I never thought of doing my own repair because they said the tire has to come off. I still want ot replace the tecnico with the Bright 5 hole which may be easier to touch up then the tecnico. So far the tecnico has held up well but we are really careful parking and I don’t cut the curbs close. Road hazards not much you can do but we did not get the wheel coverage and not sure they even offered it at the point of sale.

I wonder why they cant forge the 5 hole. If it is just because of the rounded design and forging requires more of a spoke to shape correctly or they would just be cost prohibitive.

Question: Are the 5 hole on the QV the same 5 hole that are on the Ti’s? I ask because I call one place and they say all the wheels are forged call another and they say no only the Tecnico the 5 hole are form filled. It seems like a dark secret that you would have to cut one to find out what it is made out of.
The 5 hole wheels are flow-formed...the technicos are forged that's why they are much lighter & stronger.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

There are four widths that the OEM 5-hole wheels come in. 8; 8.5; 9; 10 (inches)
I don't know that offsets though. They are all 19 inch diameter.
As mentioned, the Quad uses a staggered 8.5 & 10
The Ti uses 8 inch widths unless you get the staggered option then it's 8.5 & 9

The reason the wheels are taking so much damage, is that the stock tires are narrow and the rim sticks out. Typically, the tread is about the same width as the rim and the center section bulges out protecting the wheel. I should point out the rim protection is not the purpose, but proper tire handling is the driving force. A different brand tire in the same size should be wider, but not all will be. Going up one size will help protect the rim with no adverse effect on handling or upsetting the ESC.

I put 9 inch dark 5-holes on all four corners of my Ti (RWD) without issue. I used the recommended size in a different brand. I am getting some rim damage, but I think that's all curb damage.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
The Tecnicos are forged from a stronger metal, allowing them to be lighter than the 5 holes. It is not clear that the Tecnico is stronger than the 5 hole, since it has less material. What is clear is that the Tecnico will bend (within reason) if hit while the 5 holes will break.

I have not observed nicks on the edge of my 5 holes with the OEM Pirelli Centurato tires. These run flat tires have a rubber flange that appears to protect the edge of the wheel from road debris. I have a set of Tecnicos (a silver set, repainted "gun metal") on order which will have Michelin A/S 3+ tires mounted (not ZPs); my experience may be completely different with those--we will see. The tread of these 245 width tires is slightly greater than the 8.5" rim width of the Tecnicos, which is not ideal for handling but may provide some protection of the rim.

Is the damage to the paint or into the metal? If it is just the paint of course it is only telling of the paint and not the strength of the metal of the wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.