Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All that I have to say is that if something happens to the paint on my QV, I don’t know that it would ever be able to be fixed without a complete paint job.

Picked up some Ocra GT spray paint, came with primer and clear coat. Weather was on the 60s decided to see if I could do a metal license plate and a key fob cover.

tl;dr : the paint goes on more gold, particularly indoors, not under showroom lights—at least at first.

I screwed up the fob because I should have applied 3 coats before clear coating it. Realized an entire side was lacking a paint coat. Going to sand and try again later. It’s just indoors, the color is so dark (matches the shadows of lines perfectly on the car), not brilliant and definitely doesn’t showcase the color. The license plate frame faired a little better, going to apply som wax tomorrow and see how it looks in a constant shadow.

I’m very inexperienced with painting stuff, so any tips would be great. I tend to want to rush it and then mess it up lmao.

Here are some pics:

Textile Sleeve Grey Wall Material property

Textile Helmet Automotive lighting Grey Khaki

Orange Rectangle Eyewear Wood Font

Gold Amber Beige Wood Artifact

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,253 Posts
Reactions: Glenn

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's really cool. Where did you get the paint from?
I should have posted that from the beginning:

Fast shipping, responsive customer support, reasonable prices if you pick up full sets of primer, color and clear coat.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Emblem on fob comes off easily. You can gorilla glue once you're happy with the paint.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thats awesome! Thanks for sharing pictures.

I know that paint matching the front end of my rebuild took some trial and error as the VIN paint code didn't result in a paint that aligned well with what was on the body. A second attempt was taking using a paint scan camera to detect the color and that resulted in a different shade, but still not-quite-right paint finish. A 3rd and 4th attempt were made by mixing the first two paint samples from two different vendors until we finally arrived at a match. It seems that things would be a bit more consistent (a paint code should equal a paint code!), but due to the manufacturing process and variances in supply and application there apparently exists a lot of different colors for the same code!

For what its worth - I found ERApaints.com which was a pretty quick and easy way of finding similar-to (not exact) matches to various euro/domestic cars

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would say the spray can is not the 2k system that the factory uses and like other comments above there probably is variation to the color during production. I'm not too surprised that it didn't match. But I would not worry about a body shop not being able to match it.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to be working on the license plate today. Going to wet sand with 2000 grit to get rid of some of orange peel; compound; polish and then wax.

Edit: Finished.

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper Motor vehicle

I've sanded the key fob back down to the plastic and will use a different technique for it once the temps go back up again.

First, warm the paint up; second apply plastic paint adhesive (instead of primer); wait 5 mins; then apply tree coats (wait 10 mins between); two coats of clear; 24 hours; sand; compound; polish and wax.

Hopefully it goes better this time.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Getting better… I’ll compound polish tomorrow, see if that gets rid of some of the orange peel texture…

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Getting better… I’ll compound polish tomorrow, see if that gets rid of some of the orange peel texture…

You are probably laying the paint heavy, I would use very light coats between curing until there is enough paint. This will prevent orange peel.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are probably laying the paint heavy, I would use very light coats between curing until there is enough paint. This will prevent orange peel.
I'm definitely trying to find a good method--I'm going to keep practicing. So many YouTube vids recommend different things.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Some compound, polish and wax. Resisted the temptation to wet sand as the compound worked out a lot of orange peel.

View attachment 123430
Makes me want to do this with the touch up VB paint I have but it's 4 years old and I think it's dried up :(

Also if you're inclined, there are threads on here on how to disable the panic button. Those threads show how to remove the side silver pieces, if you wanted to paint those too

Reactions: 614

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Makes me want to do this with the touch up VB paint I have but it's 4 years old and I think it's dried up :(

Also if you're inclined, there are threads on here on how to disable the panic button. Those threads show how to remove the side silver pieces, if you wanted to paint those too
I have some Vulcano Black coming in if you want me to make one for you!

·
Registered
6,253 Posts

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,235 Posts
That's so great. Really nice work. I used two caps from AliExpress, but with a unique color like yours you did a great project.
Shoe Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Walking shoe Line

• Love
1 - 20 of 28 Posts