Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we had the Forza exhaust bypass valve controller installed today.

My initial impressions:

Fantastic.

Now for me and my old, slowly failing, ears it opens up the exhaust to a much sweeter sound through all the modes but I did not find it to sound exactly like the sound in Race mode. For example, N mode did not sound exactly the same as R mode. I’m attributing it to the programming of each mode. Don’t get me wrong, they all sounded great but for me I was able to hear subtle differences between each mode. Nevertheless, in my humble opinion this is how the vehicle should have come from the factory.

I highly recommend this product.

http://www.forzacomponenti.com/exhaust_controller_b3a.html

Side note, my son LOVED the shop we used for this install. They had all kinds of Ferrari race cars being worked on…

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple of other comments:

I found that you had to be in manual mode to get the true sound of the exhaust. Get those RPMs up!

And one of the mechanics said (this was their first Giulia): "it's looks very similar to a Ferrari underneath" and added "the shape of many components looked very similar to a Ferrari".

;)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Congrats buddy, I hope to check it out in person!......:wink2:

Reactions: 407Guy

·
Registered
554 Posts
How much did the shop charge you for install? I'd love to get one too, but the price with installation gives me pause, plus I don't know who I'd trust to do it. Dammit AR, just make it an infotainment setting already.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shop charged us 3 hours but they did warn us that this was their first Giulia and it may take longer than other cars they have experience with. *shrug*

It seems the going amount of time is right about 2 hours for the install. So depending on the hourly rate anywhere from $200-400 would be my guess.

The cost of the controller with install is going to be well below $1000. Have you seen the prices of aftermarket exhausts? This was the less expensive alternative to me and it gave us the option to go back to the "stock sound" with a push of a button.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the forza controller installed for about 6 months now. I can confirm that the sound is slightly different in N, D compared to the genuine RACE-Mode sound.

But it's worth every penny (cent)...

First installation should be done under 2 hours, second one in about one hour.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had it installed for 4 months now, amazing upgrade. There is a difference in sound likely due to the power output from the engine in each mode. Definitely better to drive in manual though with higher RPM and kickback during shift changes. I would recommend this to anyone with the QV. Also recommend to sync it with the garage opener, makes it even sweeter for convenience. I was charged 2 hours for install.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The cost of the controller with install is going to be well below $1000. Have you seen the prices of aftermarket exhausts? This was the less expensive alternative to me and it gave us the option to go back to the "stock sound" with a push of a button.

Thanks for the info. You can't compare this to an aftermarket exhaust though, come on now. I have to sell this to my wife as "a little electrical box that changes the way the exhaust sounds for like $500". Not an easy sell.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You can't compare this to an aftermarket exhaust though, come on now.
I disagree. IMHO aftermarket exhausts, for the most part, offer minimal HP gains; they are for sound enhancement only. This is my experience installing numerous aftermarket exhaust in cars and motorcycles. Just a lot of money for relatively no performance gain. Again, just my experience...

And no doubt FCA spent plenty of time and money to develop the "best" exhaust for the Giulia. That's why I think the bypass controller is better money spent than an aftermarket exhaust.

:wink2:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I’ve had the Forza Controller for about six months now. Agree with the above comments on modes and that manual is best experience.

I programmed it to Homelink and it worked for a while. About a month ago the Homelink button(s) would no longer open and close the flaps. Still worked with my garage so not a general Homelink problem. Tried reprogramming twice (you have to reset all the buttons to reprogram) and it still doesn’t work with the controller. Garage reprogrammed fine. I asked Steve at Forza if he’s heard of this and he said no. I have gone back to using the included remote, which is no big hardship, but weird that Homelink won’t work any more.

Interested to hear if anyone else has had the same Homelink issue. I should state that this is obviously not a Forza issue, but a Giulia/Homelink problem.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Uh Not Entirely Accurate...

I disagree. IMHO aftermarket exhausts, for the most part, offer minimal HP gains; they are for sound enhancement only. This is my experience installing numerous aftermarket exhaust in cars and motorcycles. Just a lot of money for relatively no performance gain. Again, just my experience...

And no doubt FCA spent plenty of time and money to develop the "best" exhaust for the Giulia. That's why I think the bypass controller is better money spent than an aftermarket exhaust.

:wink2:
first & foremost you almost always save weight....depending on the whose system...
as far as HP gains....IF you are just changing the cans...then I would agree with you 100% any HP gains are minimal at best..
however if you do something more comprehensive....HFC, x-pipe into the new exhaust, then your gains are not negligible....add that with bigger MAF etc and a tune...then you have something...
personally the only cosmetic thing I change for the sake of change are rims...
I like the stock sound....but if I can shed a little weight, get a bump in Hp, and develop a deeper sound....I'm in:grin2:
But to each his own and if it works for others its all good!:grin2:

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I’ve had the Forza Controller for about six months now. Agree with the above comments on modes and that manual is best experience.

I programmed it to Homelink and it worked for a while. About a month ago the Homelink button(s) would no longer open and close the flaps. Still worked with my garage so not a general Homelink problem. Tried reprogramming twice (you have to reset all the buttons to reprogram) and it still doesn’t work with the controller. Garage reprogrammed fine. I asked Steve at Forza if he’s heard of this and he said no. I have gone back to using the included remote, which is no big hardship, but weird that Homelink won’t work any more.

Interested to hear if anyone else has had the same Homelink issue. I should state that this is obviously not a Forza issue, but a Giulia/Homelink problem.
so you are not getting the exhaust from Centerline??

·
Registered
641 Posts
so you are not getting the exhaust from Centerline??
I most certainly am! It should be ready for shipping in 3 or 4 weeks. It is made the same way as the stock exhaust in regards to the flaps and will work with the Forza system the same way. I'm psyched for the deeper, more resonant sound (I've watched the Centerline video a dozen times) although the stock is an amazing exhaust in its own right.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I most certainly am! It should be ready for shipping in 3 or 4 weeks. It is made the same way as the stock exhaust in regards to the flaps and will work with the Forza system the same way. I'm psyched for the deeper, more resonant sound (I've watched the Centerline video a dozen times) although the stock is an amazing exhaust in its own right.
I am as well, been in contact with Rob Steele there and he said only 25 units will be made...going to do the x-pipe as well...
and am in touch with FabSpeed for a HFC:grin2:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I am as well, been in contact with Rob Steele there and he said only 25 units will be made...going to do the x-pipe as well...
and am in touch with FabSpeed for a HFC:grin2:
Oh boy, now I am going to need a supercharger to keep up with you at Lime Rock!:surprise:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey 407guy, just got my 2018 QV w weeks ago. Awesome. Also just received the Forza controller. I’m in the 407 area as well and wondered who you used as the installer.

Thanks!

Apologies for any etiquette issues as I’m a newbie here.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts