Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
FErrari has a dilema, LeClerc is their academy driver but also very young, typicaly SF hires experienced title contenders.....however LeClerc’s stock is rising very quickly and Kimi, while on Ferrari tems a perfect #2 driver, is retiring. There has been lots of rumors that Ricciardo would be coming in but him and Vettel have history and he would not play second violin very well....LeClerc has really shown both speed and maturity beyond his age, he also seems to be intelligent and very quick learner, his gap to Erickson is bigger each race....it is a gamble for him since Vettel will probabaly call it quits in two seasons and Ferrari has never promoted #2 driver to #1 position, maybe this time it would if he keeps getting even better with each race....but then I hope he gets a seat, alternatives are not attractive and Ferrari will never let him go to MB or RBR....who gets to sit in Sauber then? Alonso might be interested in one more try in F1 and Sauber might give him lots more fun than McLaren currently

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I am a new observer to the sport but I was reading as the worst kept secret was being discussed that LeClerc has done very well “in a very under developed car” so I guess given a better car he could do much better. On the flip side the Constrution / developer lead is coming over to Sauber from Ferrari and they plan to continue to make significant improvements. It sounded like the Sauber team was neither confirming or denying what was going on but I am sure they are prepared one way or the other. I hope that AR sticks with it since it makes it fun to watch now. I love the feathers getting ruffled and some of the guys seem to let their egos get the best of them but that is all sports.

Here is a newbie question. Sauber has been racing for a long time with various partners. They use a Ferrari engine so why is the car so “underdeveloped”?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
“Here is a newbie question. Sauber has been racing for a long time with various partners. They use a Ferrari engine so why is the car so “underdeveloped”?“

F1 of today has an unproprtional emphasis on aero....top funded teams Ferrari, MB and RBR have the best constructors and aero facilities, Ferrari and MB also supply engines and some other parts to other teams but chassis has to be developed and built by each team.....order is also kept by how F1 teams are funded via F1 and now Liberty, the owner of F1 series....when you put all of these elements in consideration it is not strange at all that bottom teams are all “underdeveloped”....Ferrari is obviously choosing to help Sauber a bit more hence sudden steady improvement, MB is doing same with their customers just to less extent....all these things are pissing off long run fans of F1, order is in many ways artificial and players have numerous times threatened to leave the series or start their own but the setup is too strong....some teams have also completely lost their track, like Williams and McLaren and it is becoming quenstionable if they can survive in the spining drain of funding, suppliers, their own incompetence and F1 rules and politics....

I still love F1 but much prefer bike racing, if you want to see what racing is all about check Assen MotoGP from this morning....F1 is now just race to first corner and then procession to the end, sometimes somebody manages to undercut or overcut another during pit stops and Verstappen used to change the order by playing pinball for a while but thats about it.....

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
Should DRS be revisited?

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
So few passes in relation to catches. I wonder what the figure is historically.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
THere were at least 100 passes in MotoGP race earlier in Assen, what a great crazy race

Merc seems to have had reasons to delay the new engine introduction ugh....great to see Ferraris come so close at the end and LeClerc has again shown some tough stuff

But geez, Alonso has got to be the biggest overperformer in that catastrophe of McLaren

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here is a newbie question. Sauber has been racing for a long time with various partners. They use a Ferrari engine so why is the car so “underdeveloped”?

Chronic lack of money and poor team management for the past few seasons. You aren't going to do well when you're running year old Ferrari engines because you can't afford the current spec (as they ran last season). There were sketchy deals with Russian investors that I can't recall whether they actually got any money at all from.

They had a major management shakeup last year, and the current team principal made some key decisions in the 2nd half of last season that put them in a better position this year. Most importantly is that earlier last year Sauber had agreed to an engine supply from Honda when Monisha Kalterborn was team principal (likely because it was the least expensive engine option, because they had no money). There was some team flap, can't remember what, but Monhisa suddenly resigned, and as soon as Vasseur took over he terminated the Honda deal for 2018 forwards.

At one point, mid-2000s?, Sauber had one of the most advanced wind tunnel facilities in F1. Their facilities were one of the reasons that it was an attractive opportunity for BMW to buy the team. BMW never found major success, and then pretty much dumped Sauber at the curb at the end of one of the season with no solid plans for the following season. Peter Sauber bought the team back (believe for something like 1 swiss franc), and had to quickly get plans in place to keep going. Then a few years later Peter Sauber made Monisha Kalterborn team principal as he went off into retirement from day to day activities. Monisha pretty much ran the team into the ground from there, and now they're rebuilding and regaining strength under the leadership of Frederic Vasseur.

It will be interesting to see how Sauber does with technical development the rest of this season, and with the progress on next year's car, as they lost their technical director in the past few months. At this point with consistent point finishes, they could do with some sizable aero upgrades to get up a little further into the points. But who knows what they're actually able to carry out and get done with the budget and personnel they have at the factory.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Crazy race - 2 MERC retirements, blistering on the "harder" compound - good points for Sauber/Alfa and way to go KIMI with the fast lap at the end. Sad to see him likely go next year, though the latest silly season has him landing in McLaren for a reunion. But I just can't see it. Though if Alonso leaves, now would be a good time to arrive - ever since the Shanghai scandal, success always seems to happen after he leaves. I'll have to hunt for my West McLaren shirt if that actually happens. Good for Max - crazy sea of orange there today for him. Too bad for Riccardo. No happy Bday for him. Ordinarily I'd say see you in two weeks time, but loving this back to back race weekends.

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Merc's loss was Haas's gain. Way to capitalize.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Lots of DNFs allowed Sauber Alfa Romeo to have its best team result of the year so far despite both drivers having a rocky weekend. Ericsson really stunk the place up in qualifying but managed P10 in the race. Leclerc was lucky to finish in P9 after going off early in the race. Leclerc and Ericsson were running in P8 and P10 near the end but Leclerc had blistered tires and could not hold off Alonso’s McLaren. Ericsson was on fresh tires and according to some accounts Leclerc let him by to take a run at Alonso. Ericsson might have had the pace to pass Alonso eventually but the race ended before that could happen and according to those same accounts Ericsson let Leclerc back into P9 on the last lap. British grand prix Sunday.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Update

Will Charles be going to Red Bull?. With Ricardo’s departure catching RB a little by surprise rumor is starting that they may go after Charles.
Lots of changes in F1
Force India: Stroll’s father with group buys them out of receivership so Lance will be moving there. That means Perez and Ocon will be looking.
Williams: will have vacant seat but stink on ice and have now lost a money ride, where do they end up?
Haas: rumor is Grosjean is gone at end of year and if Charles skips out will have 2 empty seats, Perez and Ocon perhaps?
Ferrari: how bad do they want to keep Charles, rumor is if Kimi re-signs Charles will bolt Haas for RB. Putting two young hot drivers together. New leadership there has everyone still guessing.
Mercedes: all locked up no xtra drama

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Charles probably already has some kind of commitment to Ferrari, being their academy product and all, it is most likely he can not just bolt to RBR....silly season is suddenly becoming lots of fun because of RBR, Ferrari, Force India and even Alonso and Kimi....lots of parts still need to make a move so there might be some surprises soon

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Charles probably already has some kind of commitment to Ferrari, being their academy product and all, it is most likely he can not just bolt to RBR....silly season is suddenly becoming lots of fun because of RBR, Ferrari, Force India and even Alonso and Kimi....lots of parts still need to make a move so there might be some surprises soon
well Alonso is done in F1:surprise:
another twist

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
KIMI gets a 2 year contract...he's there until 2020..
Grosjean will be gone at years end from Haas...
My hope is that Charles sticks it out for 2 years at Sauber/Alfa...then moves into KIMI's spot...but the way people are talking it doesn't seem that there is some contractual obligation

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^Leclerc needs to manage career wisely, there are not all that many great seats available at any time and he is still unproven entity despite outperforming his teammate....I have seen the news about Kimi but it is unclear whether his contract is 1+1 or firm 2....CL definitelly needs one more season to prove himself and gain more experience....he certainly does not want to pull Alonso type of career...if he is smart, patient and consistently performing he has a bright bright future

Alonso at this point was wasting his talent completely in F1, I hope he wins Indy championship and Indy 500 in next couple of years....who knows when talent of his size shows up again in F1....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts