Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long did it take and what did they charge you?

Was it a mechanic, audio shop, yourself.....

I am going to my Porsche mechanic tomorrow for a "consult" and wanted to have some input from those who did install it.....

Thanks fellows.....

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Paolo,
I took a look at my diffuser since I need to tuck in a tab from the bumper that got missed in assembly. I suppose I can do both at the same time. But you may be able to do the install from the wheel well without removing the bumper or diffuser. I suspect so. Pulling a wheel and well liner on each side to hook up the controller should be easy. In fact, I think the Quad only has one that does both! I read through the instructions and that seems to be the case. Otherwise we need to buy the extension cord for 2 valves! Nobody mentioned that during the group buy ;) So through the wheel well should be easy. I'd say a couple hours. You just need to clean a mounting area to stick the 3M hook tape, then plug in the lead and zip tie stuff out of the way, off the hot pipes. If it was warmer and I had the time I would say lets try it at my house ;) Good luck, having plenty of room to work is a luxury I would pay for, so I'd say it's worth it. the trouble with cold temps is that plastic gets brittle. I worry about the pegs and connectors. A well heated garage will help there too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
my dealer said one hr labor and they would be glad to do it i will do it in spring when i get my spring check -up for her. maybe i will have my Stradale Exhaust too :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had mine installed yesterday, two hours total to get a nice neat job done. The mechanic pointed out that removing the liner was what took the longest.
I’ve been driving around with the valves open and it is definitely a head turner sound especially when in manual mode!

·
Registered
43 Posts
i did mine this weekend.

I have a four post lift, and it took me 1.5 hours taking my time.

a few hints:

First, there is not reason to pull the entire floor diffuser. Just undo the torx head bolts and the 8 visible 10mm bolts (4 plastic, 4 metal). Then you can let the pan fall and easily access the connectors. This saves having to pop the plastic grommets off the front of the diffuser.

The other hint is there is chassis ground right under the most forward syrafoam block that covers the ECU's (in front of the piece the directions tell you to remove).

Perhaps the hard part is getting the wires routed and the Styrofoam trimmed so it sits flush. I had to run the wires on the rear, not the front as shown in the pictures.

All in all, a very simple job, but not one you want to do without a lift.

My reviews of the product:

First bear in mind I have the center resonator delete, so my car is louder than stock.

The opening the flaps with the controller is somewhere in between closed and race, leaning more towards race. However, when the flaps are open and its not in race mode, the difference in the shift points make the lag between gears more pronouced. downshifting in non-race mode with the flaps open doesnt sound that great, as the shifts arent very quick.

Bottom line its cool, but if you want the sound (and the performance) just use Race mode.....

If there is anyone in the SF Bay Area, I am happy to help you do this mod in exchange for 3 Pliny's.

Geno

·
Registered
694 Posts
i did mine this weekend.

First, there is not reason to pull the entire floor diffuser. Just undo the torx head bolts and the 8 visible 10mm bolts (4 plastic, 4 metal). Then you can let the pan fall and easily access the connectors. This saves having to pop the plastic grommets off the front of the diffuser.
I did mine today too. Took me a bit longer because I pulled the whole belly pan which requires also dropping the rear part of the side belly pans. It also requires putting the lift up and down a few times since the lift arms prevent the pan from coming off all the way. If I had to do again I'd try just lowering the rear of the rear belly pan as you suggest.

To route the wire I used a utility knife to trim the back corner off the styrofoam as shown in the install pictures. That worked pretty well.

To mount the unit, I zip tied it to the bottom of the fuse box. I hope it holds because there are a bunch of wires under there so it was not a flush connection. I didn't want it loose on the floor of the pan and I didn't think the velcro strips provided would hold it because of the ribbed bottom to the pan. If it doesn't hold with the zip ties, I might try using a sticky rubber pad on the bottom of the pan. In fact I think I have some leftover tool box drawer liner that would have worked.

I haven't taken the car out yet because it's pouring rain today, but starting it in the garage I notice a big difference. All I can say is that I'm glad I have the remote for when I want to be polite ;)

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Just checking, do we need the extension wire for the Quad or is it only one solenoid connection? I was part of the group buy and it never seemed to come up. My 360 has 2.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just checking, do we need the extension wire for the Quad or is it only one solenoid connection? I was part of the group buy and it never seemed to come up. My 360 has 2.
There’s just one connection. The module splices into the connection.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Had mine done at the dealership on Thursday. They charged me a whopping $112 out the door. Would have done it myself if I had a lift, but my Harbor Freight floor jack and jack stands just weren't going to cut it.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Whew! Thanks. But jack and stands not cutting it? Hmm, OK how about ramps as well? But I have spent a lot of time under my cars like that, especially the 360 with aero panel diffuser. And yes the service design is a little dumb where your jack points end up trapping the panel around the stand once you have the fasteners out. The 360 has once main pocket designed for tire changes on a race jack using NO STAND, quickly at the track. Ahem.. ;)

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Whew! Thanks. But jack and stands not cutting it? Hmm, OK how about ramps as well? But I have spent a lot of time under my cars like that, especially the 360 with aero panel diffuser. And yes the service design is a little dumb where your jack points end up trapping the panel around the stand once you have the fasteners out. The 360 has once main pocket designed for tire changes on a race jack using NO STAND, quickly at the track. Ahem.. ;)
I've done many a major job on my back under cars being held up with jack stands. This includes dropping trannies. I've used many lifts and given the choice... but that's a no brainer! Then there's always race day at the track... Get the job done if you want to keep racing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My floor jack wouldn't fit underneath the QV, that was problem #1. The other issue was how small the little plastic 'jack point' squares are. You can't jack up one spot and put a jack stand right there, like you can with cars that have rails or multiple jack points. So unless you have two jacks, you'd have to jack from the front point high enough to fit a stand under the rear point, then repeat on the other side. The last thing I need is for the jack to slip and punch a hole through my brand new $80k car. I suppose someone else may have been able to figure it out, but it would be difficult and I was more comfortable paying the $112 to have the dealership do it. I should note, I've always done all of my own car work with that jack and jack stands, but the limited clearance and safe jack points on the QV made me take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed my controller two days ago. My floor jack was a low enough profile to fit unto the QV and lift on the passenger side. Once I got the rear tire off I blocked under the suspension arm to at least give me some safety and went it through the wheel well. Its a little tricky to get the connections off and the jumper wire fitted but, all doable. I then put the wheel back on and lower back to the ground and went in on the other side to add a couple more zip ties to keep the wires up out of the way. The rest of the instal was per everyone else. Took me an hour to do and I now have QV that sounds amazing without having to go into race mode!

Thank you to BostonDMD for getting the deal put together on the discounted controllers. Its great when you have a forum that works together to help support one another.

Now if I could only access this bloody sub so that I can fit a better aftermarket one life would be great!!

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
A race jack should fit low enough without trouble. Are the panels surrounding the points flush with the unibody or are there pockets or gaps? When you have a pinch seam and scissor jack points, you can jack on the seam and place the stands at the scissor jack points.

·
Registered
554 Posts
A race jack should fit low enough without trouble. Are the panels surrounding the points flush with the unibody or are there pockets or gaps? When you have a pinch seam and scissor jack points, you can jack on the seam and place the stands at the scissor jack points.
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...acking-points-floor-jack-lift.html#post394954

That post has a good photo of the little plastic jack points. A race jack would fit, I just don't have one. My floor jack has always been more than sufficient, but it was about a quarter of an inch too high for the QV. Working from the side with one side lifted and the rear tire off as @Chrismccaffert said above is a clever solution, for those with a race jack.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,158 Posts
Has anyone tried these for jacking up the vehicle? Should only need one jack

https://www.facebook.com/jackpointjackstands/

With the of some wood blocks this can get the car high enough to be able to work under it reasonably well on a creeper, although more jacks might be needed to avoid tilting the car excessively.

Does anybody have the dimensions of those plastic jack point blocks, including the diameter of the hole in the middle?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My dealer won't install it. And I'm new to the area, so don't have any idea where else to take it for installation.
Any reputable BMW, Porsche, european car shop should be able to install it for you.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Had mine done at the dealership on Thursday. They charged me a whopping $112 out the door.
Wow, that's a GREAT price. Congrats.

Reactions: BGorilla
1 - 20 of 34 Posts