Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not the same vehicle, but supposed to be a sibling. It's somewhat positive to see the improvements model on model

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
My daughter was keenly interested in the Tonale until she saw one. Then she was head over heels.
We're on our second Compass and are generally satisfied with it. It's comfortable, a manageable size,
and drives competently. I can see it being a good basis for a more stylish derivative with sharper handling.
Of course the engine and transmission will have to be unique to the Alfa, and a weight reduction can only help.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in a similarish boat. I was thinking of the Tonale as an alternative to a Giulia to get to school and back before I kick her out after her graduation. So a 2ish years lease made sense to me. She wants a Giulia for high school, but I'd rather get her sitting a few inches taller. God, I hated my parents for being protective.... 🙄😂
My daughter was keenly interested in the Tonale until she saw one. Then she was head over heels.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was of the understanding that the Tonale would be based on the Renegade/Fiat 500X platform? Unless it is the same as the Compass. Still think they could've just used a shortened Giorgio platform and still charge ~$35,000-$38,000. Not that much of the target consumer for this segment cares that their new premium-brand CUV will share the underpinnings of a cheaper vehicle with an older platform, I guess. I'm sure with the infinitely better 2.0L Alfa engine and some better suspension it'll be fun-ish.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the new compass is based on a 500X platform, per Savagegeese and others. Only few people would probably care about how good or bad it will be unless it turns out to be a sleeper hit coming out of the COVID downturn, but then again, my guess is whatever launch date was planned is now pushed out another 6 months. I know nothing about how FCA will place this in the US market if and when it puts out. My guess is, this could be a step up to CX3/CX5 kind of shoppers as well as cross shoppers from the E-pace. I doubt there will be too many X3 and GLA/GLC buyers who might venture for the Tonale. My impression is that most X3, GLA, GLC buyers are badge buyers. At least that's my biased opinion based on the fact that a majority of these are sold in their barest variants that give you a badge, nothing else.

But who knows?

The E-pace is actually a fantastic buy in many ways, but suffers from pricing issues given how it fits into its competitive niche. Still, Jaguar seems to be hanging on to the market largely due to the F & E pace. Which is selfishly why the Tonale is important in my mind. It appears to be the correct size to establish a foothold in the US.

But who knows?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Not sure if I ever shared these here but here are some photos/video from extended reality training at Pomigliano of Tonale

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know what i’m about to say is not the “popular” opinion, and I apologize in advance for being a “downer”, but i really don't get the fascination/fad with “crossovers”. IMHO a hatchback like the Amg A45 or Mazda3 has the practicality of a crossover while being sporty(lower CoG).

I personally think Alfa should have made a wagon and hatchback based on the Giorgio platform instead of a crossover based on a Fiat platform. IMHO

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know what i’m about to say is not the “popular” opinion, and I apologize in advance for being a “downer”, but i really don't get the fascination/fad with “crossovers”. IMHO a hatchback like the Amg A45 or Mazda3 has the practicality of a crossover while being sporty(lower CoG).

I personally think Alfa should have made a wagon and hatchback based on the Giorgio platform instead of a crossover based on a Fiat platform. IMHO
Unfortunately, most USA customers want a CUV over a sedan or wagon.

·
Registered
1987 Milano Platinum
40 Posts
i really don't get the fascination/fad with “crossovers”.
[flame suit on] It is known that SUVs/CUVs are abominations that should be wiped off the face of the earth. If the gods wanted us to drive SUVs, SS. Merosi and Jano would have made them.

I rest my case.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@hawkeye_a @GottWhat @MarkB I don't like large vehicles at all. If I'd a choice, I'd be in an XF sportbrake, E wagon, or similar if/when I wanted more storage. I also prefer to throw the kayaks, bikes, and skis on top of a sleek short wagon than a taller box. But I get overruled on this. She hates wagons. Most fantastic thing is, I still have to drive a box I don't want, while she drives the convertibles, the Giulia, and so on, on a daily basis. Once second kid is out of the house in a couple of years, there is no looking back. Absolutely no big car or vehicle. No S/C/Anything-UV. Nothing. Till the planet is sucked in by the red giant.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree. And. Can't wait. They regularly reviewed not-top-of-line vehicles, but recently they've been doing only top-shelf-what-most-wont-buy stuff. I love Savagegeese. Miss awkward Scott Turbowski.
@kshitishsoman off topic but Savagegeese is in the middle of conducting a Giulia 2.0 Review I believe a Lusso spec. One of the best car reviewers out there IMO.

·
Registered
1987 Milano Platinum
40 Posts
Yeah...nope. As regards ground clearance, Jano's direction was to lower a chassis as much as possible within the context of contemporary roads. Concerning the 6C 1500 (grandfather of the 8C 2300):
One element that was a radical innovation was the front axle, through which the front half-elliptical [leaf] springs passed. Jano explained that the reason for this difficult and costly solution was the lowering of the car, whereas to make it underslung, with the springs passing under the axle, would have left it with insufficient ground clearance for the roads of the time.*
Concerning the 8C 2300, there's this:
The 8C 2300 chassis was divine in appearance, in design, in performance and in handling. [...] In spite of all this, Jano remembered these splendors...with repugnance. "That chassis was simply too heavy," he said. "It was no masterpiece of mine."*
From this, we know that Jano liked his cars to sit as low as practical and to be light. Doesn't sound much like an SUV to me.

As for styling, the 6C you link to is just a boattail coupe. It looks like an SUV as the Chrysler Crossfire looks like an SUV.

*The Alfa Romeo Tradition, Griffith Borgeson, Automobile Quarterly books (1990)

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
@kshitishsoman off topic but Savagegeese is in the middle of conducting a Giulia 2.0 Review I believe a Lusso spec. One of the best car reviewers out there IMO.
I am not a fan of their reviews. They are detailed and I do appreciate their perspective but they nitpick every little damn thing. I recognize it's just an opinion but really, their reviews are 30 minutes long and basically...yeah this sucks but its less sucky than that.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think people who love them like that they go to corporate sponsored car drives and don't suck corporate d*** like other reviewers do. Or alternately, they are people like me who are just fucking hypercritical of shit in life. ;)

I am not a fan of their reviews. They are detailed and I do appreciate their perspective but they nitpick every little damn thing. I recognize it's just an opinion but really, their reviews are 30 minutes long and basically...yeah this sucks but its less sucky than that.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I think people who love them like that they go to corporate sponsored car drives and dock suck corporate d*** like other reviewers do. Or alternately, they are people like me who are just fucking hypercritical of shit in life. ;)
Heh. Yeah...I like a lot of different car reviewers and feel like you can remain objective and not suck up while still focusing on the good in every vehicle. I am not saying I don't mind criticism but I want it tempered by facts instead of opinion. For example, I do like that the SG guys refer back to other like models when comparing current features. Each YouTuber has their own bias and as long as they aren't blowing smoke, I enjoy their reviews. I remember the SGs bitching about the paddles in the QV because they are column mounted instead of steering wheel mounted. Almost every other reviewer said the other is better. Again, no need to call it out as a fault. Instead say, this isn't how I prefer the paddles but some people like it this way.

·
Registered
1987 Milano Platinum
40 Posts
^ +1. Along with [cue whiny voice], "Why is the start button on the steering wheel?" or "Why did they put that [whatever that is] here instead of there?" which, to my mind, all boils down to "Why isn't this a Camry?"

Bonus subraction points for the reviewer who downrated the Giula because the A/C vents aren't aluminum. Oh, the humanity!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts