Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a Giulia and seems like there are lots of models. If I want the best performing car (not the Q) is the Ti or Sport better?

This will be my retirement car... so I am willing to give up things that I have on my current car (BMW) that don't contribute to performance. Like the sunroof, I never open the thing.

Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
When you say performance I assume you mean the handling ?

For the best handling Giulia you would want the Ti Sport with the 19" x 8" 19" x 9" Dark 5-Hole Aluminum Wheels. These are offset wheels with wider wheels on the back as well as grippier summer tires. You would also want the Ti Sport Performance Package which includes Active Suspension and Mechanical Limited Slip Differential. I've driven a couple of Giulias without these features and they don't handle as well. To me it drives like a totally different car with these options.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Presuming you mean street performance, you want the Ti Sport Q4 (Q4 denotes AWD).

That gets you the paddle shifters, grippy sport seats, and 19" wheels (which may not do anything for performance, but do look cool).

There is a Ti Performance Package which includes a rear Limited Slip Differential and adjustable dampers, which if you're really getting after it and your roads are not so good (or you prefer a less rigid ride) is a good add-on.

Beyond that, there are convenience goodies, but nothing that I can think which will make the car handle better or more capably.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
That is true. You guys just mentioned everything I have the one, and the handling is fabulous

·
Registered
62 Posts
When you say performance I assume you mean the handling ?

For the best handling Giulia you would want the Ti Sport with the 19" x 8" 19" x 9" Dark 5-Hole Aluminum Wheels. These are offset wheels with wider wheels on the back as well as grippier summer tires. You would also want the Ti Sport Performance Package which includes Active Suspension and Mechanical Limited Slip Differential. I've driven a couple of Giulias without these features and they don't handle as well. To me it drives like a totally different car with these options.
I have th staggered set-up but not the LSD. I’m going to put lowering springs on it next. Should flatten out the corners. Anyone have them yet?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the Ti Q4 Lusso with Sport Performance Package and I like this best because I could not get comfortable in the Sport Seats. Too confining for any extended driving. The Lusso has leather seats with more control options than the Sport (I think) and better bolstering than the base Giulia. I understand those who like the Sport seats, but they were the only reason I did not get the Sport package.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The thing about the Ti is - the seats. If your back is narrow enough to handle those highly articulated seats, fine. But if not, those side bolsters digging into your sides are just too much, and you have to consider another trim level.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Considering a Giulia and seems like there are lots of models. If I want the best performing car (not the Q) is the Ti or Sport better?

This will be my retirement car... so I am willing to give up things that I have on my current car (BMW) that don't contribute to performance. Like the sunroof, I never open the thing.

Appreciate any advice.
You say "retirement car..." are you planning on taking your car to the track or just performance for the street? For track, get a Ti Q4 Sport with the Ti Performance Package. Skip the sunroof and HK sound system. Get Eurocompulsion's V2 intake, Tune, and an exhaust upgrade of some kind. You'll have listen to the ones available to see what you like, but the Magnaflow that Eurocompulsion sells is a good one. Get a set of track wheels. For best performance 17" wheels will fit (I have them on my car) with ultra high performance summer tires.

If you're not going on the track, but you just want street performance, you have a few more options. Go sit in Giulias with the sport seats and the Lusso seats to see which are more comfortable. The sport seats have less padding and adjustability, but have higher side bolsters to hold you in place in the corners. The Lusso seats have more padding and more adjustability but the side bolsters are not high like the sport seats.

Again, skip the sunroof and HK sound system. Get the Eurocompulsion goodies. If you're still into street performance, the 17" wheels are the lightest, but the sidewalls are taller. I'm running 225/50-17 Michelin tires on mine. You'll have a wheel gap somewhat, but you can't see that when your driving. If you're one of those guys who has nightmares over wheel gap, and think the biggest wheels you can stuff in the wheel wells are the only thing that will let you rest easy, the sport package comes with the 19" wheels. The Lusso package comes with 18" wheels, but both the factory wheels are somewhat heavy. The 17" combos I have are 6.4 lbs lighter each than the factory 18's, and the rims were $723.96 for a full set shipped from 1010 tires. They also have them in 18" size which are 2 lbs heavier. Visually, the 18's will look better if that matters more than 2 lbs less weight. They'll still be 4.4 lbs less than the factory 18's so you'll still gain the benefit of the lighter weight.

On the subject of wheels, for track go as wide as you can fit. For street, you have different needs. You can't legally drive at track speeds on the street, so things like ride comfort come into play. Since this is your retirement car, you might not want a hard-as-nails ride. Taller sidewalls help to smooth out the ride. My 225/50-17's offer plenty of traction for the street, and I have no intention of driving so fast on public roads that I would 'need' wider tires for more grip. The lighter weight comes into play for acceleration and braking as well as cornering. I accelerate and brake far more than I corner, so for me the lightest weight I could fit at a reasonable price was my priority.

For the street, in addition to the above, get the High Performance Bi-Xenon headlight option. If you're not hardcore performance, and you're okay with the factory wheels (which look great), then just get the Eurocompulsion goodies and you'll have a 350 hp Giulia that's an absolute blast to drive.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I recommend going with the sport seats. I am of larger carriage, 6'3" 250lbs. I was concerned at first but after driving mine for a couple of weeks and then a loaner Stelvio with standard seats I am glad I went with the sport seats. I do a fair amount of longer distances and the sport seat are much more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't think I will need AWD. My current car has it, but this car won't be out in any snow or ice. Plus without it there is less complexity and stuff that can break.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll chime in and say that the Q2 diff is the one thing I don't have but would change if I could. The loaner I get at service has 18" wheels and mine has 19" wheels, so definitely get the "cool" wheels if you're on good pavement (or do you fancy rallying? Then the extra sidewall of the 18's might be crucial!).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
does the Active Suspension and LSD make a huge difference for windy back roads (not going to track it)?
Depends on how fast you plan on driving and what the roads are like. Winding back roads aren't always in the best shape, so the active suspension lets you soften the ride a bit while still keeping the increased stiffness for the corners.

Don't think I will need AWD. My current car has it, but this car won't be out in any snow or ice. Plus without it there is less complexity and stuff that can break.
The AWD on the Giulia is darn near magic. It's so good you can't even tell when it's kicking in. The car is normally RWD until you hit a situation where it may need AWD, then the system just smoothly engages the front. When driving on snow and ice I couldn't even feel it in the steering wheel, which is saying something as the Giulia's steering is super precise. Another benefit of the AWD is straight line acceleration. According to Alfa the RWD model does 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds, while the AWD model does it in 5.1. Combine that with the Active Suspension and LSD, and you have superb cornering and acceleration control.

The sunroof and HK sound system are over $2,000. If you want a driver's car, in my opinion the AWD and Active Suspenion are a far better value than the sunroof or HK sound system. If you don't want the AWD and Active Suspension which are going to run about $3,200, then get the Eurocompulsion set of V2 intake, tune and exhaust which will cost about the same. You'll have a RWD screamer if you do. I can't tell you how much nicer another 60 or 70 hp is over the stock 280 hp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks... Appreciate all the input. I don't race or anything like that. My BMW has xDrive which works great, and I assume the Alfa system is equally as good. But I'm not going to be taking the car out in crappy weather. I like the idea if that Euro-thing and will check it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The build & price site seems to have only a subset of the options that are available. I guess you have to get into an actual order to see all the options?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts