Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, looking for some advice & thoughts - I'm looking at purchasing a Giulia Veloce but, after test driving one, I'm concerned at the lack of floor to underside of dash height.
In particular, with foot on the gas pedal, pivoting to the brake pedal, I find my toes catching on the panel under the dash, which could clearly be a safety issue. I do have largeish feet, but not of clown proportions.
Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wear size 12 and haven't noticed anything unusual about footwell space. I have a Ti.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I too have large feet have no issues. Perhaps your the heels on your pumps are causing the problem you are experiencing.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I have size 11 (US) feet, a RWD Ti, and have absolutely no problems like the OP mentioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, I'm in the UK, so a RHD. I'm a UK 12, US 13 in shoes. Perhaps there is a difference in space between LHD & RHD versions.
Or maybe it's my driving style - how do you guys drive floor mounted gas pedals (as opposed to top hinged) - foot full on pedal or just upper foot, with heel back a bit?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Or maybe it's my driving style - how do you guys drive floor mounted gas pedals (as opposed to top hinged) - foot full on pedal or just upper foot, with heel back a bit?
Occasionally on my LHD AWD Giulia Ti my left foot will catch what I suspect is the hood release cable under the dashboard. As for accelerator pedal foot position, I imagine you'll find a mixed bag depending on a particular individual's anthropometric measurements. Generically speaking, for cars equipped with both floor mounted pedals and automatic transmissions, I prefer to left foot brake and have my right heel on the floor board directly at the accelerator pedal pivot point with the entire length of my plantar on the pedal. But because of ergonomic constraints with the Sport seats in my car, I usually brake and accelerate with just my right foot. I rest my right heel ~2" in front of and beneath the brake pedal and rotate my forefoot to operate the accelerator pedal. As such, perhaps only 30% of the plantar side of my foot is in contact with the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys.
So, the plan is to go back to my dealer, wearing different shoes this time, & see if that makes a difference. I really want a Giulia but safety comes first.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I left foot brake exclusively in automatic transmission vehicles, so no moving of the right foot to the brake.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Interesting. No one really left foot brakes over here. Perhaps I should practice.
On a classic British Motorcycle you always left foot brake (rear brake).
On most go-karts you can only left foot brake.
IMO, the important thing is to always left foot brake or never left foot brake, at least in a particular car. Otherwise you may be confused (even if only for a fraction of a second) when you need to brake in an emergency situation.

Left foot braking allows "covering" the brake pedal in order to reduce reaction time.

Some DMV examiners may consider it "dangerous" with no logical reasoning (essentially: I do not brake with my left foot so you can't possibly do it).

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just gotta move yourself around and find the best place for the seat, etc. I wear 13.5-14US and this is not a problem at all

·
Registered
317 Posts
On the LHD QV there is something that blocks upward movement on the foot rest. I'm size 12 and can fit my foot on it but possibly like you I sort of slide my foot upwards sometimes. It's as if there's a pipe at the right upper third blocking further movement towards the plastic underbelly of the dash. If I cant my foot inward towards the brake I can extend it up again and a little more. Yes, this is probably weird behavior. I haven't bothered to get down and see what I'm hitting but I have noticed compared with other cars there's less upwards travel on the foot rest and there's also this weird obstruction and not a flat upper wall which limits travel. I figured you were going to talk about legroom overall. I was going to say that the classic Italian car shoves the pedals at you and keeps the wheel far away. Here the Giulia has not quite repeated the ergonomics of the 60's-80's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts