Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this on the Stelvio forum, but this applies to Giulia owners as well, so I'd appreciate your thoughts...

No, I didn't get a flat....I was wondering how many of you have given any thought as to what you would do if you have a flat. I had planned to get the compact spare but didn't, and so far have not been able to get the part numbers for the pieces needed to add one to my Stelvio. I do have the inflator, but the few times I have gotten a flat in the past, the damage was such that the goo would not have repaired it, and the tire needed to be replaced. Although I assume the dealer would stock replacement tires, I have checked with several tire places, and they do not have replacement tires in stock. (I have a Ti Sport with non run flats). Getting a tire would take from 1 to 5 days.

So do I:

A). Continue to try to get compact spare parts...

B). Buy a full size tire and rim. ( 20" rim)

C). Do nothing and hope the inflator works.

Your thoughts? What is your plan?

-Ray

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I originally posted this on the Stelvio forum, but this applies to Giulia owners as well, so I'd appreciate your thoughts...

No, I didn't get a flat....I was wondering how many of you have given any thought as to what you would do if you have a flat. I had planned to get the compact spare but didn't, and so far have not been able to get the part numbers for the pieces needed to add one to my Stelvio. I do have the inflator, but the few times I have gotten a flat in the past, the damage was such that the goo would not have repaired it, and the tire needed to be replaced. Although I assume the dealer would stock replacement tires, I have checked with several tire places, and they do not have replacement tires in stock. (I have a Ti Sport with non run flats). Getting a tire would take from 1 to 5 days.

So do I:

-Ray
@RAO-3, I have the runflats on my Ti, but if I had a catastrophic failure I just plan to call Alfa roadside assistance and have it towed to the nearest dealer. I can afford to be without the car for a few days if tires not immediately available.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I have run-flats, a tire plug kit and a 12v inflator. It all stores neatly below the carpet, in the recess in the foam. I will not use goop on a tire, don’t have any. If a tire goes down, and a tire store is close, I inflate it and drive there. If not, I use the plug kit and reinforce till I can get to a tire store.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Been there, done that. I picked up a giant screw thanks to all the commercial construction projects happening all around my office. Thankfully, the car was equipped with run-flats, it was a relatively slow leak and my office has an air compressor in the parking garage. So I just pumped up the tire to the maximum inflation pressure and drove the car to the nearest dealer, who told me they could get a replacement tire the next day. As I was traveling out of town to join my family for spring break, I just bought a portable 12V tire inflator and pumped up the tire the next morning for the return trip to the dealership for repair. This limited how many miles I put on an underinflated run-flat tire, which allowed me to travel the 85 miles from the beach house to the nearest dealership without much worry as you're limited in both speed and range when you drive on a run-flat tire with a puncture.

Personally, if I had non-run-flat tires and the Alfa was my only vehicle and I was completely dependent upon it, I'd probably buy a whole 2nd set of wheels and tires and just rotate summer/winter. That way I always had a complete set that was serviceable and well matched that could get me by until a repair was possible. Depending on how much tire wear you had when you got the flat you might need to replace both tires on the affected axle.

Alfa Romeo Giulia Owner's Manual said:
It is recommended to replace the two front tires or two rear tires as a pair. Replacing just one tire can seriously affect your vehicle’s handling.
Alfa doesn't say that you absolutely must replace all 4 tires on AWD models, nor do they specify a maximum allowable tire circumference delta between front and rear axle tires. But they do make a general recommendation to avoid mismatched tires. I know it can be positively detrimental to some AWD systems, but I don't know how sensitive the Alfa's electronic transfer case is to mismatched tire circumference.
Alfa Romeo Giulia Owner's Manual said:
All Wheel Drive (AWD) Models
It is recommended to avoid situations with a large difference in wear between the front and rear tires and to strictly use winter tires of the sizes given on the tire placard.

The AWD system and the original tires are developed together to ensure the vehicle’s best performance. When changing the tires, it is recommended to use the same “AR” marked tires, to maintain the same level of performance and component life.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also picked up a screw one day and luckily only discovered the flat tire the next morning, so I popped it off and took it for repair..

Been thru the "spare" full sized and small spare tire bit with other cars and will not do that again. Flat bed , or drive the run flats to the shop if possible. Plan to replace the OEMs with Run flat Michelins when the need arises.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Alfa doesn't say that you absolutely must replace all 4 tires on AWD models, nor do they specify a maximum allowable tire circumference delta between front and rear axle tires. But they do make a general recommendation to avoid mismatched tires. I know it can be positively detrimental to some AWD systems, but I don't know how sensitive the Alfa's electronic transfer case is to mismatched tire circumference.[/QUOTE]

I did this on our old X3 by placing a 5-series mounted wheel on one axle. The car didn't like this and refused to move! I would never have believed it but given the electronic stability control, etc on a 4WD car not matching wheels can be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We got a flat. Slow leak found in the garage. Dealer didn’t have the tire in stock and neither did discount. This is the PZero. Sorry we did not swap out yet because we would like to get a few thousand miles out of these before we move to Michelin. So I called RSA. They will only tow to a dealer. Now, you could call your insurance and go to discount tire but no one had the tire available. Now, I think we could have slipped some side money and asked nicely to accidentally drop it off at Discount but they didn’t have the tire.

I did ask, what if I am up in the mountains. Well they will be hauling it down the mountain back to town. Make sure they always know it is a specialty tow. In my case we put air in and she drove up the flat bed on her own.

QVs don’t have run flats so there is no spare either nor would I get one except like it was recommended to get a spare Rim and wheel to swap.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have run-flats, a tire plug kit and a 12v inflator. It all stores neatly below the carpet, in the recess in the foam. I will not use goop on a tire, don’t have any. If a tire goes down, and a tire store is close, I inflate it and drive there. If not, I use the plug kit and reinforce till I can get to a tire store.
Alfa Crisis, I have Bridgestone run flats on my base Giulia. I also keep a 12v inflator in my trunk. I presume you haven't had to use the tire plug kit yet. I might get one to have handy if needed. Any recommendation on what brand model plug kit might be a good choice?

Thanks, Chuck :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Alfa Crisis, I have Bridgestone run flats on my base Giulia. I also keep a 12v inflator in my trunk. I presume you haven't had to use the tire plug kit yet. I might get one to have handy if needed. Any recommendation on what brand model plug kit might be a good choice?

Thanks, Chuck :)
Chuck, this is what I have, their standard model:

https://www.stopngo.com

I’ve never had to use it, but it was the unit most motorcycle riders seemed to pack for trips. I check the plugs and kit now and then, and haven’t had to replace anything yet.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
Chuck, this is what I have, their standard model:

https://www.stopngo.com

I’ve never had to use it, but it was the unit most motorcycle riders seemed to pack for trips. I check the plugs and kit now and then, and haven’t had to replace anything yet.
Looks like something good to have. No problem using with run-flats? I have a compressor in the garage but usually find 12V inflators frustrating.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts

So do I:

-Ray
I think we can conclude that A and B are unlikely to work with Giulia. Once the car is down on a flat you will most likely need blocks to drive onto to get the car high enough to be able to get a jack underneath the car. So to make A or B work you need

Some kind of spare and space to store it.
Blocks you can drive onto and space to store them.
Some kind of jack and space to store that and its handle.

To use the block there is an intrinsic assumption that the car will move enough to get onto the block while one tire is flat (different diameter). It is unclear how the nannies will react.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Monkey Grip sticky plugs have worked for me. Used it on both the Miata and 348. Believe it or not I got a lot of miles out of those tires too. Some over 100 mph. ;) Luckily the screws were in the tread. And how the heck does a 3 inch screw get into a tire tread? I think someone (a hole ex neighbor) might have sabotaged my 348. But it didn't work, loser. :D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Looks like something good to have. No problem using with run-flats? I have a compressor in the garage but usually find 12V inflators frustrating.
A tubeless tire is, for all practical purposes, a tubeless tire. Assuming you can locate the offending hole (usually, the nail/screw is polite enough to hang around), you can insert a mushroom plug to fill it, as long as the hole isn’t too big.

I wouldn’t consider it a long term repair, but rather a way to get to a proper tire shop for a patch or plug/patch to be done. No repaired tire is considered to still be speed-rated, as the extent of damage to belts and/or cords/wires is unknown.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
Monkey Grip sticky plugs have worked for me. Used it on both the Miata and 348. Believe it or not I got a lot of miles out of those tires too. Some over 100 mph. ;) Luckily the screws were in the tread. And how the heck does a 3 inch screw get into a tire tread? I think someone (a hole ex neighbor) might have sabotaged my 348. But it didn't work, loser. :D
I once got a 2" screw in my bicycle tire, which is only 1.25" diameter. It punctured the rim tape, chewed up the frame and required a screw driver to extract. Ruined a $35 tire, $15 tube and $10 rim tape, not to mention what should have been a nice weekend ride. Stuff happens...

On a bicycle I have found that a $1 bill makes a pretty good temporary patch for fairly large holes in the tire; just don't forget to carry some smaller bills. I ended up using a $100 once...

That would be hard to implement for a car tire since you need to reach the inside and on the bicycle the inner tube holds the bill in place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think we can conclude that A and B are unlikely to work with Giulia. Once the car is down on a flat you will most likely need blocks to drive onto to get the car high enough to be able to get a jack underneath the car. So to make A or B work you need

Some kind of spare and space to store it.
Blocks you can drive onto and space to store them.
Some kind of jack and space to store that and its handle.

To use the block there is an intrinsic assumption that the car will move enough to get onto the block while one tire is flat (different diameter). It is unclear how the nannies will react.
While I understand the compact spare may or may not be considered for the Giulia, the full size tire is meant as a replacement for a damaged tire, allowing you to use your car while you procure a new tire as replacement as it will likely have to be ordered. You wouldn't necessarily carry it in your trunk, but to have available in your garage. If you got a flat Friday afternoon, you may not see a replacement tire until Wednesday of the following week.

A 2"x6"x24" could be used to get the clearance for a jack if you drive on it. I do understand that the vehicle may refuse to move, but no one has reported that situation with the Alfa thus far.

Of course you can elect to rely on the dealer to handle all of this as well, or make other suggestions; I thought it would be easier to deal with a flat if one already had a plan in mind to handle it.

Ray

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Wow, ever since I got my Craftsman race jack when I lowered my Miata, it's all I ever use. The old steel cup Craftsman jack is pretty tall and might not fit under the Giulia. And the split handle on the race jack works well in the tight garage, although you have to row a mighty galley with your foot braced against the loop handle on the base to get enough leverage when you get high enough to bear the full weight! :O

1 - 20 of 23 Posts