Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

401 - 420 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had to use 1/8" tubing, the 1/4" was too big to fit over the valving. I got it from ebay. It fit nicely over the sprinkler valve, as silicone tubing stretches nicely.

I put the valve near the wheel well opening so that I restore factory operation in a few seconds if desired by just reaching behind the wheels and turning the valves.
Help!
I bought the Pure Silicone Tubing - 1/8" ID x 1/4" OD but the tubing is too large for the exhaust valve?
How is every else using this tubing without it not being too big?
What is the correct size of silicon tubing I should purchase?
I already purchased the 1/4" sprinkler valves which fit nicely into the QV's silicone hose but the /8" ID x 1/4" OD I just purchased from amazon is too large?

Thank You,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Help!
I bought the Pure Silicone Tubing - 1/8" ID x 1/4" OD but the tubing is too large for the exhaust valve?
How is every else using this tubing without it not being too big?
What is the correct size of silicon tubing I should purchase?
I already purchased the 1/4" sprinkler valves which fit nicely into the QV's silicone hose but the /8" ID x 1/4" OD I just purchased from amazon is too large?

Thank You,
I dont understand why.
The 1/8" ID tubing works perfect.
Measure the ID to see if they sent the right tube.

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2017
27 Posts
Hello, just saw the discussion and I'd like to share my experience.
I bought some time ago a small device which connects to the OBD port and allows to open/close the vales any time.
In addition it allows you to display some additional info on the main instrument cluster (like Boost pressure, Brakes temperature, Gearbox and Diff oil temperature, 0-100 times). It allows as well a Launch Control function.
Well, the object is not super cheap, but is VERY nice and practical (there is no installation whatsoever as you just have to plug it in the ODB). It is produced by Squadra Tuning and its name is Performance Logger (as it is also logging some performance data :cool: )
Here below some pictures of the info you can display (taken directly form the instruction manual):

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought some time ago a small device which connects to the OBD port and allows to open/close the vales any time.
In addition it allows you to display some additional info on the main instrument cluster (like Boost pressure, Brakes temperature, Gearbox and Diff oil temperature, 0-100 times). It allows as well a Launch Control function.
Well, the object is not super cheap, but is VERY nice and practical (there is no installation whatsoever as you just have to plug it in the ODB). It is produced by Squadra Tuning and its name is Performance Logger (as it is also logging some performance data :cool: )
Here below some pictures of the info you can display (taken directly form the instruction manual) ...
Just thought I would add my $0.02 worth ... I am personally reluctant to install devices that interface with the car's ECU internal programming. I do not have reason to believe that this device may cause problems, but any device that requires interfacing to the car's ECU internal programming is subject to the version of the installed software. Should the manufacturer upgrade the software (and they do), there is a possibility that the device may no longer function. Or, at worse, may cause a problem with the car's operation. Should Alfa Romeo upgrade the software and this OBD device no longer functions (or functions incorrectly) there is no assurance from Alfa or the device manufacturer of getting a fix. Just saying.

Steve

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2017
27 Posts
Just thought I would add my $0.02 worth ... I am personally reluctant to install devices that interface with the car's ECU internal programming. I do not have reason to believe that this device may cause problems, but any device that requires interfacing to the car's ECU internal programming is subject to the version of the installed software. Should the manufacturer upgrade the software (and they do), there is a possibility that the device may no longer function. Or, at worse, may cause a problem with the car's operation. Should Alfa Romeo upgrade the software and this OBD device no longer functions (or functions incorrectly) there is no assurance from Alfa or the device manufacturer of getting a fix. Just saying.

Steve
...you are right, but for 400 Euro, I have enjoyed it a lot. In addition, I avoid any 'bricolage' and I like the idea of have it easily reversible (you just unplug it).

·
Registered
124 Posts

Steve
Certainly, having the ability to reverse it by just unplugging is a big plus. And so is the easy installation.

Steve

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
150 Posts
Is there any noticeable performance losses or gains with the exhaust valves open all the time?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is there any noticeable performance losses or gains with the exhaust valves open all the time?

With the valves open all the time, there will be a slight reduction in overall back pressure within the exhaust system. This slight reduction in back pressure has some people believing that there will be a slight loss in engine torque that is produced at lower RPMs. For example, the amount of torque available when accelerating away from a traffic light. In practice, though, the reduction in back pressure will not affect the torque because the exhaust bypass valves are so far downstream in the exhaust system it will not affect the scavenging affect at the exhaust headers, therefore, any loss of torque would be infinitesimal. If want to read more, here is document that I wrote on the topic ...

Steve

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,682 Posts
With the valves open all the time, there will be a slight reduction in overall back pressure within the exhaust system. This slight reduction in back pressure has some people believing that there will be a slight loss in engine torque that is produced at lower RPMs. For example, the amount of torque available when accelerating away from a traffic light. In practice, though, the reduction in back pressure will not affect the torque because the exhaust bypass valves are so far downstream in the exhaust system it will not affect the scavenging affect at the exhaust headers, therefore, any loss of torque would be infinitesimal. If want to read more, here is document that I wrote on the topic ...

Steve
Just to add, race mode has the flaps open all the time, so if there was a performance hit, I'm sure Alfa would have accounted for it, or as Steve says, it would be infinitesimal

Reactions: lightguy

·
Vendor
2,961 Posts
Here below some pictures of the info you can display (taken directly form the instruction manual):

View attachment 109516 View attachment 109517
In the US you can purchase this product here:

Logger with Exhaust sound controller and MORE: Giulia/Stelvio Performance Logger Dongle by Squadra Tuning

Exhaust sound controller: Exhaust Valve Sound Controller v.2 (DONGLE PLUG)- Giulia/Stelvio Quad.

It's fantastic. Plugs into OBD port, no wires or weird remotes etc... Clean and easy. Works perfectly. I use it on my Quad. It will not damage any ECU's or modules or otherwise, this is completely false. The product is made by Renown tuner, Squadra Tuning. Lots of research has gone into this product, like every product they make. PLUS...They know what they are doing. It's safe! I would not be reluctant to use it even if you do not understand how it actually works, lots of people use it with no issues, this is not like a piggyback ECU falsifying signals to the ECU and fighting the signals. This is using everything onboard to safely show you read outs and give you functions as if you were using Witec to test engage components. Nothing safer or easier on the market!!!

As far as any changes for the future, we have that taken care of. If a new version needs to be available, owners can simply plug into a computer, use the micro USB which will be supplied and download new version if alfa does change something. So you are always up to date.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You don't need any of these expensive devices. I spent about 30mins and less than $5 and it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dont even have the radio figured out yet.
The squadra sounds cool but an idiot proof plastic valve is more my speed.

PS when the car starts in the cold its MUCH louder even with the flaps bypassed.
It mellows out after just a bit.
Whats going on here ?

·
Registered
374 Posts

PS when the car starts in the cold its MUCH louder even with the flaps bypassed.
Whats going on here ?
many modern European cars (or at least the high performance ones…not sure of the rules there) have a cold start cycle When the cats are cold pollution is at its highest, so they inject air into the system to rapidly heat the cats. once the cats are heated due in large part to this, the idle sounds become normal. This lasts for around 20 seconds or so…. some cars do it even longer. This is common on many European cars.
With the flaps open, the difference is more pronounced. I have a miitek exhaust and have the flaps set to open always and the cold starts are very loud and gritty sounding. It’s actually not a nice sound in my opinion. but once the cycle stops it gets better..and quieter.

some aftermarket tunes disable it if desired. well, for some cars at least… not sure if there’s a tume that disables it on the alfa…but for cars like a bmw its easy to get something to disable it if desired.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Whats going on here ?
I don’t have positive knowledge of the exact workings with the Alfa, but I can speak on how my car acts ... a 2004 Ferrari 360 ...

On cold starts, the fuel to air mixture will be rich and the car engages an air pump to pump air inside two rails (one each left and right) and inject this extra air into the exhaust manifold immediately after the car’s engine exhaust valves. This extra air mixes with the exhaust gases which will have unspent fuel due to the cold start. Now with this extra air, the mixture will support additional combustion. At this point the engine’s exhaust valves have not fully closed so the fire in the cylinder will ignite this fuel and air mixture. But combustion occurs in the exhaust manifold and headers and it will not add any power. The car keeps the flapper valves open so these additional exhaust gases have a clear path to exit.

Besides burning off excess fuel which assists with diminishing emissions, the extra heat generated will warm the catalytic converters faster so they come up to temperature more rapidly which helps them do their job. And because the exhaust bypass valves are open, there’s more noise as well.

All of this action lasts about 30 to 40 seconds then when temperatures reach threshold levels, the fuel to air mixture leans out, the air pump shuts off, the exhaust bypass valves close and the sound diminishes.

Not all cars have air pumps, but they will perform something to burn off unspent fuel during cold starts which will likely result in increased exhaust sound.

401 - 420 of 422 Posts