Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

381 - 400 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had to use 1/8" tubing, the 1/4" was too big to fit over the valving. I got it from ebay. It fit nicely over the sprinkler valve, as silicone tubing stretches nicely.

I put the valve near the wheel well opening so that I restore factory operation in a few seconds if desired by just reaching behind the wheels and turning the valves.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great info here and looks super simple to implement the mechanical fix. I plan to do this as soon as possible - love the sound of this car. Thanks to all who have contributed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had to use 1/8" tubing, the 1/4" was too big to fit over the valving. I got it from ebay. It fit nicely over the sprinkler valve, as silicone tubing stretches nicely.

I put the valve near the wheel well opening so that I restore factory operation in a few seconds if desired by just reaching behind the wheels and turning the valves.
Did this mod a couple days ago. Love the sound and it couldn't have been easier.

Thanks to everyone that contributed!

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can install an exhaust controller and then easily toggle between normal operation and always open.

But, if you want easy access to a manual set up, then find the vacuum solenoid valve which is behind the rear bumper. It looks like the first illustration that is attached ...

Then get some vacuum line (best to get line that is heat resistant ... I would recommend silicone high temp vacuum line). Go to Home Depot or somewhere where you can get some drip irrigation fittings:

• Two in-line couplings (1/4")
  • Two barbed On/Off Valves (1/4 ")
  • One barbed Tee connector (1/4 ")
Then make the connections as shown in the second attachment. Place the On/Off valves up inside your trunk where you can easily access them when you want to make a change. Make sure to label the two valves so you know the settings. You open one and close the other depending on which mode of operation you want to achieve.

Regards,

Steve
Bump and Tag because I keep forgetting where in the forums this info is ;)

How does one get access to the solenoid valve / components ? Drop the rear diffuser ?
Also would like to route the hoses to the trunk area if possible so turning the system on and off will be simple.
There is the cutout in the rear diffuser behind the tires that one can get a hand into.
If all else fails I'll put the valves there somehow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bump and Tag because I keep forgetting where in the forums this info is ;)

How does one get access to the solenoid valve / components ? Drop the rear diffuser ?
Also would like to route the hoses to the trunk area if possible so turning the system on and off will be simple.
There is the cutout in the rear diffuser behind the tires that one can get a hand into.
If all else fails I'll put the valves there somehow.

Yes. But you do not need to remove the diffuser completely. Remove the row of screws along the rear edge and then you can pull it down enough to access the vacuum control valve.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Update; I did a mod of the $3 method.
Disconnected the vacuum tube and ran one 1/8 silicone tube to above the rear bumper "hex grill" and zip tied the shut off valve there.
Then ran another tube back to the flap actuator mechanism.
Now I have easy access to the shut off valve so can turn on/off the bypass to suit my mood.
I can also shut off either side individually for whatever reason.
Took awhile to figure out the routing and the hoses may sag over time but now I have the plan figured out.
The hoses may sag onto the exhaust but next time I'd run longer hoses under the exhaust.
As is I bought the 10' hose listed on the ebay link in this thread #381.
Next time 20' should be more than enough to run under the exhaust.
Black would be better too as some of the tube is visible behind the car where the shut off valves are zip tied to the rear grille.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any pictures of that setup? I think I'd prefer a mechanical solution as well.
Sorry dont know how to link photos :(

But here is the tubing that is black and high temp;
EDIT the clear listed above has a 500 degree temp limit vs the 350 in the black.
Even if the clear tubes sag they may not be affected by the exhaust pipes.
Time will tell .
If they melt through they will melt into the "Open flap position".

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I got my software updated today and after dinner and putting the baby to bed, I decided to do this mod.

Difficulty: 1 and 1/4 beers
Tools needed: Jack, jack stands, flat head screwdriver, clippers

First of all, I don't have a lift, but i am a big fan of Jackpoint jackstands. They take care of the problem of "I just jacked up my car and now where do I put my jackstand?" Add to that, they are solid aluminum and really a quality bit of kit.

I jacked up the rear, found the push pins, removed them, added 3" of silicone hose so that I would not have to cut the factory hose, added the switches so that I can turn it off if necessary, finally used two zip ties so that it is not swinging around with the extra length.

Buttoned it all up and went for a spin. Sounds good and is not loud at all. Did the freeway test and no droning. If you get on it then you get the poping etc but overall, the louder sound is mild.
Bumping my own post for the pictures.

Edit, pictures didn't come with.

Here is the page:

·
Registered
6 Posts
TMC Motorsport based in N.Ireland. Literally plugs straight into the port under dashboard. I believe Alfissimo in US also sells the same product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. Flaps can be always open in D, N or A. It can be activated by holding the button on front of gear selector for 2 seconds. The same if you want to close the valves (they will still open automatically if the car chooses to). It also remembers which setting it was in when you switch off ignition so your choice if you want start up with flaps closed or full anti-social mode (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just did the vacuum line mod so the exhaust flap is permanently open, I may be wrong but doesn't seem to pop/bang on gear changes as much like it did in Race mode prior to the mod.

Does Race mode change the timing of the engine to allow more pops and bangs?

·
Registered
95 Posts
too bad these wont work on cars with SGW...
The SWG bypass module fixes that and is useful to do anything in your ECU including resetting the oil change reminder

381 - 400 of 422 Posts