Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been corresponding with a shop in Arizona that has developed and is testing a controller that allows you to open the exhaust flaps completely (as in race mode) in any mode. Here's the response below. You should feel free to contact them...it may make them speed up the development if there's a lot of interest:

Hello Simon,

I am testing the controller on two Guilia’s at this time. The first test (from an owner in the Netherlands) has come back with positive results. I made a minor adjustment to the controller configuration and am conducted a second test (with an owner in the USA), that should have results within 2 weeks or so.

Preliminary results is that the controller will only be able to provide two modes of operation …
1. Normal (the car’s ECU controls the exhaust flap valves just it does now)
2. Always Open … you will have ability to open force the flapper valves open at all times.

The controller has the ability for a third function … Always Closed … however, in the first test when this option was enabled, the sensors in the exhaust detected too much back pressure when in RACE mode, forced an immediate Check Engine Light warning. This only occurred in RACE mode. In the second test, the Always Closed option is disabled and a different car is used for this evaluation. I am fairly confident that the second level of testing will be successful.

In summary, it is likely that for the Guilia, only two modes will be enabled (Normal and Open). This should not be a problem because when you want to have the valves closed, switching to normal mode and reducing the engine RPM will cross the threshold where the ECU will close the valves. Normally, you would want this when going fairly slow anyway.

The only disadvantage is that the Always Closed option has been a desirable option for people who track their cars at venues that limit the sound level. It is appearing that for the Guilia, I won’t be able to offer this option as the car’s sensors don’t seem to like it. Throwing a Check Engine Light will not be option for most owners. But, with the Always Open option, you will have the option to keep the valves open for that throaty exhaust note at low or high engine RPM levels.

I will notify you when I have the product ready for sale.

Kind regards,

Steve Bisel

[email protected]
480 227 3474

Forza Componenti darkdragon2-150x171
13271 E Del Timbre Drive, Scottsdale, AZ 85259
www.forzacomponenti.com

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice to hear! I am very interested in the QV, until i found out that the awesome exhaust sound in only available in Race mode. Hopefully this controller will work. I will definitely have the valves open full time in all modes.
Thanks!��

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Are there side effects in keeping the exhaust flaps open on all modes?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Are there side effects in keeping the exhaust flaps open on all modes?
Not much to my knowledge. The loss of back pressure may effect torque at certain points in the power curve. It may also effect gas mileage by reducing it, due to more air flow and fuel consumption. On my 360, where I've had the solenoid disconnect mod in place for a couple weeks, I've noticed maybe some more fuel consumption but I got back from the event last Sunday with no fuel up warning light. I haven't noticed anything in performance. But the sound is intoxicating! And I mean on lift and burble as well. Now there is a little more rattle on warm up after start but the note is great. As the pipes and valves warm up that goes away and you are left with the great sound. The burble on coast or decel is that latest plus I noticed this week. Just like my high flow exhaust on the Miata. Going slow or coasting sounds just as cool as getting on it. And it's not too loud if you are subtle around the neighborhood. I suspect, the new Giulia may be just fine with a solenoid disconnect without the valves. I'd rather spend money on wrap, tint and go pedal/flash. But at this point, with a brand new build, a tight, clean and convenient valve set up is probably not a big deal ;)

Reactions: BostonDMD

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's available guys! I just put in my order this morning. I've been driving my Q in race mode 75% of the time just for the amazing sound. Now Forza Componenti has released a controller that opens the exhaust flaps in any mode if you want. Has a nice remote and if you like, a manual switch too. I think $350 is a bargain. Can't wait to get it and have it installed. I sold my wife on it as a safety issue...so I don't have to be in race mode all the time with all the safety functions off.

I'll post a review of it when I've had it installed.

http://forzacomponenti.com/exhaust_controller_main.html

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It's available guys! I just put in my order this morning. I've been driving my Q in race mode 75% of the time just for the amazing sound. Now Forza Componenti has released a controller that opens the exhaust flaps in any mode if you want. Has a nice remote and if you like, a manual switch too. I think $350 is a bargain. Can't wait to get it and have it installed. I sold my wife on it as a safety issue...so I don't have to be in race mode all the time with all the safety functions off.

I'll post a review of it when I've had it installed.

http://forzacomponenti.com/exhaust_controller_main.html
Is this plug and play ?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this plug and play ?
I'm told it's a simple installation. You will have to remove the under-body panel to access the vacuum tube. They are sending detailed install info to me as it's not on the website yet. I'm not going to be doing this myself although anyone that works on their own car probably shouldn't have an issue. You can email Steve Bisel at [email protected] with any specific questions.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here is the reply from Steve, if anyone knows the answer to his question let me know.

I do not have access to the vehicle … but when I see photos of the Ti, I notice it has only two exhaust tips, whereas the QF has four. The QF has the exhaust bypass valves, hence the reason for the four exhaust tips. As the Ti has only two tips, my first reaction is that it does not have exhaust bypass valves … but that is not necessarily 100% as it is possible it still has exhaust bypass valves … just not in the exact configuration as the QF.

When you get under the car and look up at the exhaust system, are you able to determine if there is a vacuum actuated exhaust bypass valve somewhere up there. Perhaps immediately forward of the silencer although it could be built-in to the silencer. There would be a vacuum line up there as well as the system uses vacuum to open/close the bypass valves.

If the Ti has bypass valves, then the answer is yes … the controller should work. If the car does not have they bypass valves, then, unfortunately, no.

Best regards,

Steve Bisel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking at the installation instructions here: http://forzacomponenti.com/faqalfagiulia.html, it appears that you need to get access to the underside of the Quad. I'm guessing that this will require getting the Quad up on a lift, because clearance is so low. I'd be interested in experiences getting it on, and lessons learned!

FYI - I've purchased the part from Forza, just waiting for my Quad to show up - supposed to be here in the next 1-2 weeks!

Now just trying to plan out how to apply my severely limited car knowledge to figure out how to get it installed!

(I'm just an accountant whose car knowledge is pretty much limited to knowing where to put the gas in, although I live in Oregon, so I only have to perform such uncivilized activities when I travel out of state)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking at the installation instructions here: http://forzacomponenti.com/faqalfagiulia.html, it appears that you need to get access to the underside of the Quad. I'm guessing that this will require getting the Quad up on a lift, because clearance is so low. I'd be interested in experiences getting it on, and lessons learned!

FYI - I've purchased the part from Forza, just waiting for my Quad to show up - supposed to be here in the next 1-2 weeks!

Now just trying to plan out how to apply my severely limited car knowledge to figure out how to get it installed!

(I'm just an accountant whose car knowledge is pretty much limited to knowing where to put the gas in, although I live in Oregon, so I only have to perform such uncivilized activities when I travel out of state)
Same here. I don't work on cars...not my thing. My assessment though is it should take a shop about an hour to install so there's that cost to consider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My bad

Anyone who purchased one of the Forza controllers probably just got an email from Steve about an error code. That was me, and I'm an idiot. The installer didn't close the hood all the way, and I guess the QV throws a handful of weird codes to let you know. I don't think it had anything to do with the controller install. I'm going to go back and have it installed on Thursday, so I'll let you guys know if everything goes well. I expect that it will. BTW, someone asked whether you need to lift the car to install this thing, and the answer is a hard yes. There's an aero shield covering the back 1/3 of the car that needs to slide off, and you'll want plenty of arm room to do so.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Annona - You say the Race exhaust note is only available in R mode, but on my QV, the exhaust opens in D at about 3000 rpms under WOT (I may be a little off there, as I never really closely looked at the tach to get the exact rpm when the exhaust opens).

Does anybody else's QV do the same?

1 - 20 of 424 Posts