Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual says FLAC is supported, has anyone tried?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does it make much difference if a lossless compression method is used in car audio considering the quality of the HK system and road noise, etc. ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, no problem for CD rips converted to FLAC. I haven't tried higher bitrates yet.
Converting to FLAC files will reproduce the source information without degradation. It will not, however, make anything sound better. Converting a poor recording to FLAC does nothing for the quality of the recording. If you purchase HD music though, it is appropriate to save it as a lossless file (FLAC or otherwise) to preserve the integrity of the recording.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does it make much difference if a lossless compression method is used in car audio considering the quality of the HK system and road noise, etc. ?
Probably not. If you have a high quality recording, the quality of the music is limited by the weakest link .In this case it would apparently be the HK system.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Probably not. If you have a high quality recording, the quality of the music is limited by the weakest link .In this case it would apparently be the HK system.
I'm beginning to think my ears are on their way to being my weakest link.

Reactions: lockem and Vailoce

·
Registered
150 Posts
The importance of FLAC in a car is not so much for quality in the car, but rather it allows you to keep one master FLAC collection and easily copy the tracks you want to USB stick without needing to transcode to mp3.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The importance of FLAC in a car is not so much for quality in the car, but rather it allows you to keep one master FLAC collection and easily copy the tracks you want to USB stick without needing to transcode to mp3.
I didn't think of that!:surprise:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every time you transcode a audio or video file the quality deteriorates

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchase high bitrate music at HDtracks, Flac files sounds great and had no issues playing Audiophile 192kHz/24bit from the USB.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I haven't tried a lossless recording yet. I've been using MP3 at the highest quality. It is definitely better than AM/FM/SAT, by quite a bit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The other advantage of FLAC besides being lossless and occupying about half the file size, is that it handles metadata robust and consistent manner that works in most playback systems. WAV is also lossless but doesn't have consistent metadata and doesn't compress the file size.
Does it matter to have lossless and even High Res audio in a car? Our brain is very good at filling in the missing information of a lossy compressed file like MP3 and AAC which is why it can seem like a fairly subtle difference in sound quality. The problem is that your brain is working hard and you get tired - audiophiles call it 'listener fatigue'. It is more relaxing and engaging to listen to the higher quality recordings.
There is a new format coming - called MQA - that is about the same files size as a FLAC 16/44 CD file, but it 'unfolds' up to 24/192 and includes other features like removal of time smearing caused by digital filters used in the recording process. I don't think any car systems have it yet, but high end audio products are available with the decoder. All the major music labels have signed on and all the streaming services are lined up to support it. Thankfully, it is backward compatible so it can play on any system at 16/44 CD quality. Tidal is already offering it as 'Masters' available with a Hi-Fi level subscription.

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
84 Posts
MQA...
Thanks, I didn't know that. Learned something today!

I'm just now experimenting with FLAC, since my new favorite car doesn't have a CD player...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sweet Christmas! I just came across this. I'm super excited now because I have a Fiio lossless player with a large portion of very high quality FLAC. I'll be very happy to stop using a USB drive with mp3s. Being able to use the same player in the gym, at work or in the car would be amazing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I consider myself an audiophile of sorts I would safely say and I have placed all of my music library on 64 or 32 GB flash drives and they are mostly in FLAC or WAV format. Does anyone have any experience in the WAV format? I converted about 70% in WAV before I realized the FLAC would take up a little less space. I suppose anything that would play FLAC would play WAV but maybe not. If it plays only one or the other or neither I am going to have an issue with that.

Has anyone given this method a whirl with either or both of these file formats? The HK system is O.K. but it lacks.
Havent had the chance to try it with something other than the radio which usually doesnt impress me anyway.
Thanks,

Daniel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you hook the FIIO player into the unit to play music from it? I figured as easy to play from USB as long as head unit shows menu.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I can tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC on the HK system.

the manual also says that only 64 GB USB is supported - that's an issue with FLAC since the files are so large. I tried a 128 GB Kingston and it works fine. I think the magic limit is the index file (15k tracks) and not the USB size, per se.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts