Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First Track-Weekend at Road Atlanta - P008A Error

I've not participated in a Chin Track Days event at Road Atlanta since 2012 in my F355 GTS. The QV is a blast on the track!!! Everyone loves it. It draws plenty of attention even from the more serious (than me) drivers. Everyone wants to look at it, sit in it, see under the hood, etc.

My instructor (I'm in the novice group) is impressed with the car, and he races professionally (came to the event with his A/C trailer, 5 Porsche race cars, a few of his drivers and his crew). I found it funny when during my first session he was having me brake early. By the next session he was like "Da*@ these brakes are good (I have the CCB option), then he starting instructing me to brake later :)

I have a GoPro (that I bought AFTER my event in 2012) that obviously the batteries (despite charging) have lost some capacity due to age. Only caught six minutes today! Ashamed , too, because by my 4th session I was rockin' it! I'll post it here nevertheless sometime after the event is over tomorrow.

The only weird thing, though, is that by session 2, coming out of turn 7 and getting into the back-straight kept producing a throttle error and the car would go into limp. Even more weird is that it doesn't happen until I get to half a tank of fuel. So turn 7 (a hard right with strong acceleration into the back-straight) and half a tank = limp mode. The error produced is P0008A which seems to be a low-fuel pressure issue.

Certainly there must be an issue. I mean... tell me the tank design doesn't allow for so much fuel-sway that the pump starves!!!

I'm checking to see if this is a known issue. A TSB or something? I searched the forum for P0008A but didn't find anything.

Oh!! And the entire time around the track the car was giving the active headlight system error... especially every time there was a rapid elevation change or rapid left-right maneuvers. Stupid headlights I guess cannot keep up. Wish I could deactivate that system. Why is it even active if the headlights are not on???

I was running in dynamic mode when getting these errors, BTW. Wonder if race mode would eliminate these errors? Maybe wheel slip was causing maybe I was was running too hard for dynamic mode? Could excessive wheel slip / hop (hitting the apex...literally) be causing the driver-aids to go nuts? Hope that's not the case. I am not experienced enough to drive that course in race mode.... yet!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Great post OP!

Your experiences only make me drool more for a QV!

IIRC, the 1/2 (or less) fuel tank issue is known. Not sure if there is a TSB for it or what the fix ended up being; maybe another forum member will chime in.

Not sure about the headlight error code either.

Nice to hear your experience with the CCB option. I think I'll still end up going with the standard brakes since I don't plan on tracking the car, but I want the Sparco seats option for sure, I seem to buck the trend on that option when compared to most QVs at least.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Great post OP!

Your experiences only make me drool more for a QV!

IIRC, the 1/2 (or less) fuel tank issue is known. Not sure if there is a TSB for it or what the fix ended up being; maybe another forum member will chime in.

Not sure about the headlight error code either.

Nice to hear your experience with the CCB option. I think I'll still end up going with the standard brakes since I don't plan on tracking the car, but I want the Sparco seats option for sure, I seem to buck the trend on that option when compared to most QVs at least.

GREAT JOB OP!....nice to hear you enjoyed tracking it. Caution it is addictive!!
as for the gas...unfortunately there is no TSB/RRT or the like...the fix is don't let your tank get below 1/2...LOL....seriously especially at the track when you are pitching side to side...you get a bit of fuel starvation...another forum member, IIRC @MacGeek, mentioned something to the effect that the tank is like a saddle bag moving gas or something to that effect...
BTW do you still have the 355??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GREAT JOB OP!....nice to hear you enjoyed tracking it. Caution it is addictive!!
as for the gas...unfortunately there is no TSB/RRT or the like...the fix is don't let your tank get below 1/2...LOL....seriously especially at the track when you are pitching side to side...you get a bit of fuel starvation...another forum member, IIRC @MacGeek, mentioned something to the effect that the tank is like a saddle bag moving gas or something to that effect...
BTW do you still have the 355??
Dang! This is not good news (no TSB). Today was the last day of the event. I ran REALLY well during the warm-up session, and then my first session I was really confident! I took a pretty good, 30 minute video this time, so when I get it posted you guys will see how I progressively pushed the corners more and more.

As far as the low pressure error, I am becoming concerned that perhaps it's more than fuel sway. My first two sessions I made it through 30 minutes of hard runs. My next two sessions I encountered the error, but this time NOT in the hard turn 7, but instead when coming out of turn 5... straightened out and accelerating hard which causes a little skip-hop because the track has a little crest that seems to skip the rear tires a little. It causes some bounce, actually, and when the tires hopped, P008A reared its ugly head every time! What's worse is this time is I had 3/4 tank! Had another 1/4 to go before 1/2. So I'm almost wondering if it is heat related as well?? Or can the fuel "bounce" in the tank and starve the pump (Road Atlanta has a lot of dramatic elevation changes).

After today I was able to add another variable to the condition... ambient air temps (100+ yesterday and today when it started to happen).

I still also wonder if it's because I'm in dynamic mode which still offers "some" assistance, so when the wheels are coming off the track and all that fun stuff... the electronics are trying to help me but maybe just aren't doing that great a job and causing a software glitch??

No idea. But again, since it was happening today at 3/4 tank I'm a little worried about it. I mean... the car is so much fun around Road Atlanta until the error cripples me. Really takes the fun out of it, and quite frankly, made me nervous to go out (after I had really built confidence) for fear that I would go to limp mode.

If this truly is fuel sway, the aftermarket needs to get on to a modified tank... pump... something!

I want to track this thing again in September, but not if I'm having this issue at 3/4, 1/2, and if I'm lucky... 1/4.

This is a silly problem to have out of such a worth car.

Oh! And "no", I do not have either of my F355s anymore. Actually sold my 550 Maranello last August as well (made a pretty penny on it, but right about now not sure if it was worth giving her up!).

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was having this problem when I let the tank get below 1/2. Now I refill after every two sessions and keep it above 1/2 and it hasn't happened again (knock on wood). And yes, that's right, I'm using up about 1/4 tank of gas in each 20 minute session, which I supposed depends on the track.

As for Dynamic vs. RACE mode, I have to say the car seems "happier" in RACE mode on the track. Obviously you have to be smooth and you won't get help - so perhaps I'm only saying this right up until I wreck the car, but in my experience, the car is just overall much more responsive and, well, racier and a lot more fun to drive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This video is long (about 30 minutes), but if you watch you will see me get progressively better and more confident. I'm a novice (green group) and there are strict passing rules. A couple of times you will see me wave off a "point-by" from a slower car because I am coming up on a point in the track where I want to get my line, braking, and speeds correct without anyone around.

Enjoy. I sure did! :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I almost ran out of gas at LRP and still didn’t get any fuel pressure codes thrown at me. I stupidly didn’t pay attention to the fuel level and the last session got hit with the low fuel light and probably pulled up to the pump with 1/2 a gallon...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I almost ran out of gas at LRP and still didn’t get any fuel pressure codes thrown at me. I stupidly didn’t pay attention to the fuel level and the last session got hit with the low fuel light and probably pulled up to the pump with 1/2 a gallon...
What year is your QV? Mine is a '17.

Also, I just looked at an aerial of LRP and it seems to be pretty flat. I'm thinking that with this fueling issue, Road Atlanta may be more problematic with all the elevation changes? The video I posted does NO justice for how steep these climbs and down-hill runs are.

I'd like to try a flatter track to see how it behaves, but Road Atlanta is SO much fun. Coming off of the hill and into turn 12 is breathtaking!!!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
What year is your QV? Mine is a '17.

Also, I just looked at an aerial of LRP and it seems to be pretty flat. I'm thinking that with this fueling issue, Road Atlanta may be more problematic with all the elevation changes? The video I posted does NO justice for how steep these climbs and down-hill runs are.

I'd like to try a flatter track to see how it behaves, but Road Atlanta is SO much fun. Coming off of the hill and into turn 12 is breathtaking!!!
Mines a ‘18. There’s a big uphill section on LRP, you can even catch some air, and then a downhill right. Could be that LRP is all right handers except for one lol. Did you have problems on left handers?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you have problems on left handers?
Mostly on one right-hander... turn 7, and not until I've straightened out and accelerating hard into the back-straight. On my last day and next to last sessions, it started starving on a particular hard left-hander... turn 5 which is an uphill hard turn, but again... not until after straightening out and pulling hard down the straight.

Every time it feels like a tire skip/slip... then the cut-out and limp mode. I tried "managing" it by not going wide-open-throttle, which seemed to help a little. Especially since I started having the issue at 3/4 a tank! But that's no fun. I was burning through about 1/4 tank per session (10-13 laps) and was really depressed when it started happening after using just 1/4 tank of fuel.

I thought the "more than half tank" rule was working until then.

It was also 100+ degrees out when it started happening each time, so I wonder if heat plays a part in the issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,990 Posts
Keep in mind that when our Giulias show half a tank, they really have about 1/3 tank. At half a tank I can put in ten gallons into a fifteen gallon tank.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here it is, guys. There IS a TSB for our cars. Remember my original post that I was also getting the active headlamp failure warning??? That's part of the TSB and is somehow related to what's wrong with the fuel pump lol!! Leave it to the Italians for such different things to have a connection.

It's like before I sold my Maranello. It started to rain one day so I turned on the wipers. The wipers immediately got stuck midway the windshield. Then I smelled fuel. I pulled over, popped the hood, and low and behold the wiper linkages against the firewall had gotten caught on the left-bank fuel-rail feed line. So... your wipers could cause a fuel leak in the Maranello lol!

I'm happy to know there is a TSB. It's getting replaced next week along with the software update prerequisite.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys, I removed the TSB file. I read the fine print and it stated that in no way should that be published or photocopied without FCA permission.

I didn't want to get into trouble, but I CAN say that there IS a TSB released January 2018 related specifically to my issue (fuel pressure error AND active headlight failure combined). That's exactly my errors.

Hoping that after the repair I do not have any starvation issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please let us know if this fixes your issues that only appear when tracking the car. Unfortunately, this sounds very similar to what all the car magazine test drivers experienced when they test drove the car on the track when their cars continually went into limp mode. Not good!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the TSB # : 18-001-18 .

So far the dealership has been unsuccessful in resolving the issue. The TSB covers an "adaptive headlight system failure indicator" accompanied by p0008a low pressure error and limp mode. What headlights and fuel have to do with each other other than a crazy software bug I have no idea. Nevertheless, my car has been in the shop one week and I received a call just this past Friday stating that the work performed did not resolve the issue (adaptive headlight warnings flashing like Christmas lights).

It's very strange... the headlight error is only during right turns. And the p0008a low pressure error only happens during or immediately after right turns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any update on what your solution ended up being? My 2018 QV has been in the shop for a month in relation to the P008A.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts