Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Thought i'd share my experiences from last weekend at Palmer in MA. Been about 10 years since my last track day @ the Nurburgring, so signing up for a track day "US Style" was a big difference for me. Went with Chin Motorsports who set me up with our resident track guru and 'QV lurker' BostonDMD (aka Paolo). I found the Chin experience VERY well organised.

So the track day I found was pretty intense, it was more or less all go, all day and no chance to laze in my chair in the perfect weather! Woke up at 4:15am to get to the track by 7... oddly enough I stopped for gas and still got there ten minutes early... I was on A mode (honest!) so was one of the first to get there. Was a typical great mix of people rolling Radicals, Cup cars, a Viper, M3's, Evos, FRS, Lotus, Scoobs, Miatas and even an old Camero to name but a few. After the initial welcome meet and a mandatory egg n bacon roll 'n' coffee, Mr DMD showed my a couple of laps in my car and very kindly warmed up my Eagle F1's. First thing I noticed about Palmer is is has many blind corners (not too different from the Ring) but the incline and banking was new to me.

The concrete walls present a pretty violent 'welcome' accompanied with skid marks heading towards said walls (look at the vids). That fear soon went though and I started seeing what the Q4 can do. Although I think the Q4 is much quicker with paddles, I took the very sensible advice to go auto and concentrate on the line. The Q4 stuck like glue for me, didn't throw me about the car (you can see some corners were pulling G's) and was very happy with how I predicted the handling would be. There was only one lap where I went off line by checking my mirror way to much and did a little drift otherwise when I 'listened' to Paolo, the car felt awesome digging into the corners. I would recommend taking your Giulia whether you've got much experience or not, whether you have a base, TI or QV... you'll never see what it can do on the roads as fun as it can be.

The attendees I spoke to were all top class, very excited to see the Alfa attend, was getting repeated questions "What's the HP? What engine?" etc. Many came and sat inside too, lot of interest from the attendees and organizers.

Overall, I had a fantastic time and will 100% do more track days. I thought for someone who's been 'out of the game' for a while the Q4 was the perfect track car for me. I could use a lot of the power (no way all of it) and there's something I can build on. Only negative (if it was one) was coming out of the high incline sharp corners, the manual shifting would have been nice, but that's nothing to do with the car.

Lastly, big thanks to BostonDMD for encouraging me and coming a good two hours, leaving his family and yard work to be my instructor for the day. If you're lucky enough to go out with him, do so. Very patient, genuine top guy! Thanks :D

Now the important part... thanks Go Pro! I will post pics too as I get them off the wife's phone ;) The dash footage is 4k so unless you're on a cell make sure you select the right res.. you can even enjoyed my keys flying around when I forgot to put them away ;)

Enjoy!

4K Dash Cam @ Palmer

1080p Headest Cam @ Palmer

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Glad you had fun and good to hear those tires howling!

How was the oil temp of the motor during the flogging?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! it was a lot of fun :D

Oil temp stayed the same, one blob over half. Made sure to idle before and after too. Very stable the whole time

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
none, they held up like champs! I had 2k on the clock as a reference of usage for all parts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Really nice video from the dash cam. What camera are you using?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really nice video from the dash cam. What camera are you using?
Thank you sir.. it's the Go Pro Hero 5. The dash cam was 4k and inside cam was 1080p as I wanted to see the differences. Took many vids as it was its first run out. For the dash I stuck a mount on the mirror bracket which subtly merges with the trim. The track day requires to have both front windows open so was very happy with the wind reduction feature on it!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The few laps I took with your car I was really impressed me on how nicely the handled (awesome steering) no matter how much I threw her in a turn.

She was very composed and never felt she was going to get out of shape (probably because the traction control off can't be turned off.)

Andy I am glad you had fun!

You are a quick learner and got faster with her as the day progressed. Just remember tracking a car gets addictive!:grin2:

P.S. The brakes, I don't know if they are brake by wire like the QV, didn't really interfere or feel any different than my 911 once you got accustomed to them......

Reactions: John_K_348 and FNM

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just remember tracking a car gets addictive!:grin2:
Oh I know, the excavator will be showing up in a few weeks to start the driveway extension...we'll see what happens when that's complete ;D

P.S. The brakes, I don't know if they are brake by wire like the QV, didn't really interfere or feel any different than my 911 once you got accustomed to them......
That's interesting. I didn't want to ask how it compared to your Porsche but was very interested in how/if they compared on any level. Totally respect yours as a car so that's pretty awesome to get even the brakes as a comparison from someone who's an accomplished track guy / car nut

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Video looked great...interesting track layout....car looked right at home....
this was a great weekend for the track....Monday was a bit crazy in the misty cold weather...
Dottore is right....tracking a car gets to be addictive!...be prepared!
Regards
M

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agree with that - really couldn't have picked a better day. Not only was it dry and sunny it was lovely and cool too. Sure the car loved that :)

Yeah was a very unique track. Like I said, I think the first impressions are "WALLLLLLLLL" but that swiftly turns to enjoyment when you 'feel' the corners. The 5th picture I posted shows how nutty the track is, can see at least three layers of track to the right going up and up :D Think the Alfa is at home there for sure, corners galore.. you can tell the car was designed for that, hope others will experience what she can do.

We'll see what's next.. have an annual membership now... ;)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
We'll see what's next.. have an annual membership now... ;)
For you I suggest Lime Rock Park next..... less concrete walls to worry about.....:grin2:

Reactions: John_K_348 and FNM

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I would happen to agree, sadly Chin has no dates. Which club do I join? :D
Visit
Clubregistration.net
and
motorsportreg.com
to find out which clubs are running at which tracks in the continental USA

Best wishes!

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
86 Posts
For you I suggest Lime Rock Park next..... less concrete walls to worry about.....:grin2:
Ever since a kid wanted to go to a track. For the first time in my life got a car that i can take to a track. I live in des moines. Could you suggest me a track and the info how can i ride on it.

Thanks

Reactions: FX_Hedge

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Ever since a kid wanted to go to a track. For the first time in my life got a car that i can take to a track. I live in des moines. Could you suggest me a track and the info how can i ride on it.

Thanks
Road America would be an iconic track for you to visit, although is 400 from where you are.
Check the websites I mentioned above and see which group is running at Road America when.

When you found the date that works for you then you sign up with that specific group.

Good luck!

Reactions: Kanna

·
Registered
86 Posts
Road America would be an iconic track for you to visit, although is 400 from where you are.
Check the websites I mentioned above and see which group is running at Road America when.

When you found the date that works for you then you sign up with that specific group.

Good luck!
Thank you for a quick response.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts