Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the trigger on a new 2022 factory order Giulia Veloce, and I told the dealership I really needed to get the car by July 2022. Dealership said no problem but admitted that new car ordered 5 months ago haven't been built yet, much less delivered. I pulled the trigger anyway, but this is the place where maybe I get told the truth. How long should I really expect to get this car? It's 8 months until I need it. Give me your odds in today's crazy wacky world. Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a new 2022 factory order Giulia Veloce, and I told the dealership I really needed to get the car by July 2022. Dealership said no problem but admitted that new car ordered 5 months ago haven't been built yet, much less delivered. I pulled the trigger anyway, but this is the place where maybe I get told the truth. How long should I really expect to get this car? It's 8 months until I need it. Give me your odds in today's crazy wacky world. Thanks!
I would cancel it. If you can somehow wait for a 2023, active suspension should be back (assuming it was a chip shortage issue for this model year). Especially building this vehicle exactly to an ideal configuration, it’s a shame not to have this feature. For what it’s worth, I waited a full six months in 2019 for the vehicle I ordered.

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
689 Posts
I would cancel it. If you can somehow wait for a 2023, active suspension should be back (assuming it was a chip shortage issue for this model year). Especially building this vehicle exactly to an ideal configuration, it’s a shame not to have this feature. For what it’s worth, I waited a full six months in 2019 for the vehicle I ordered.
i doubt it's chip shortage issue that made management to drop the option
lot of good options were dropped for cost saving effectiveness & blamed for less popular choices.
was yellow caliper option dropped due to shortage problem?
for qv, ccb was dropped from '21 model and i don't think that had anything to do with chips either.
what about interior color choices and stitching?
they already have parts as they need to carry set number of years for replacement availability.

tbh, there isn't anything that make it super hard to find already built/delivered inventory imo.
have you tried searching what's around to see if you can pick one up that's available already?
say you were looking for misano blue + yellow capiper + tan leather + active sus + non-nero pkg car would be hard to find car pre-'22 but you can't get tan leather + active sus + yellow caliper for '22+ cars so build choices are far less and might be able to find your identical spec in someone's dealer lot already.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the feedback, but I wasn't exactly looking for a reason to cancel my order. I was merely curious if others had promises from their dealerships on an estimated timeline that reflected a reality different than what my dealership represented. When you're waiting a long time, all sorts of worst case scenarios pop into your head, so maybe i'm just at the beginning stages of my irrationality.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Congratulations on your new 2022 factory order Giulia Veloce. And welcome to the Forums. More probably, the dealership salesman has no clue on anything, including timings, status of the orders, what is going on with the factory and the supply chains, other than what he watches on the TV news. Don't be surprised if you get the call in 3-4 months from now that your car is here or, yes, that it will take 6-7 months. No one knows, including anyone at the dealership.

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
689 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, but I wasn't exactly looking for a reason to cancel my order. I was merely curious if others had promises from their dealerships on an estimated timeline that reflected a reality different than what my dealership represented. When you're waiting a long time, all sorts of worst case scenarios pop into your head, so maybe i'm just at the beginning stages of my irrationality.
just out of curiosity, what made you put in custom order instead of searching current batch of inventory?
i get that you don't need the car right away, but why deal with uncertainty of order being not ready by july 2022?
that's still 8 months out but there is still possibility of that not happening.
even cars that were built and shipped took several weeks from port to dealership for delivery in the past.
you could also get discount with year end coming up & dealers trying to meet their sales goal.
what's your build spec look like?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I ordered in September, and the last I heard, nothing has changed. It’s at D1 status; which I believe just means the factory acknowledges my order.

I would think by this summer shouldn’t be a problem. Probably sooner than that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There were vehicles close to what I wanted, but not exact, and the fact that I didn't really need it until July allowed me to be picky. My son turns 16 and will be going to college so thats why the need to get it before the fall. As far as spec, I ordered the Veloce in Vulcano Black, but I also wanted both packages in the safety and speakers/trim. You'd think with the limited options for 2022 I would find exactly what I wanted, but the closest I found was missing a package. I don't really like the stock speakers, so I considered this worth the risk. As far as the year end discount is concerned, my contract, in addition to the price we negotiated, also included additional discounts if offered by the factory. It's probably not much but it was definitely considered and added to the agreement because I didn't want to wait until the year's end to put the order in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would also like to know. Ordered my '22 QV in early September (because there were no '21s left anywhere in the country) and the dealer said the car should be here in February or March. I've contacted the dealer a couple of times since and they say they have no new updates to give yet. February or March is still a while away, but I'm getting a little impatient for some news. Can't wait to drive this thing.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
615 Posts
Having ordered both a 2018 and 2020 Giulia I can tell you not to be concerned about your dealer's lack of info on the status of your car. For some reason they do not get timely updates from FCA. In fact on my 2020 I was informed by a helpful FCA employee that my car had arrived in Rhode Island a couple days before the dealer knew. It was fun telling the salesman when and on what ship the car had arrived.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brief Update: Apparently, when you factory order they set different priorities. If you order a stock car, you wait at the back of the line. If you custom order any of the vehicles (i.e. added features, unusual color combo, etc), you jump to the front of the build line. The screen at my dealership has moved from the status of "order accepted" with no firm deadline (along with 10 other stock orders) to "D" Status, which apparently means "Firm schedule" and from their experience I'll have a serial number and VIN number assigned at some point. "At some point" may still be 5 months, i have no idea obviously, but I'm glad the status is moving along, and it's only been a week since I ordered it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Brief Update: Apparently, when you factory order they set different priorities. If you order a stock car, you wait at the back of the line. If you custom order any of the vehicles (i.e. added features, unusual color combo, etc), you jump to the front of the build line. The screen at my dealership has moved from the status of "order accepted" with no firm deadline (along with 10 other stock orders) to "D" Status, which apparently means "Firm schedule" and from their experience I'll have a serial number and VIN number assigned at some point. "At some point" may still be 5 months, i have no idea obviously, but I'm glad the status is moving along, and it's only been a week since I ordered it.
That is probably like me, D1 status.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another brief update. I was moved to "G" status, which apparently states "Trim." You'd think "Trim" would not take as long as the rest of it, but it's been stuck at that code for 3 weeks. Maybe this is where the computer chip shortages come in? I did order all the extra safety features with my Veloce, so shrug. Still 5 months before I need it, but it turns out I suck at being patient.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Another brief update. I was moved to "G" status, which apparently states "Trim." You'd think "Trim" would not take as long as the rest of it, but it's been stuck at that code for 3 weeks. Maybe this is where the computer chip shortages come in? I did order all the extra safety features with my Veloce, so shrug. Still 5 months before I need it, but it turns out I suck at being patient.
The factory is only open about 7 days a month, and I would assume (being Italy) they were closed for most of the Christmas season. Trim sounds like the point where the car becomes a Veloce.

I'm glad you had a change in status. Hopefully I'll get an update soon.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I'll keep on topic of 2022's I ordered--I started the process of ordering a Giulia QV and Stelvio Veloce in late August, took delivery of both the week before Christmas. So, about 4 months for me.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
6 Posts
How long were your cars "in production" and how long did it take them to get to you when they were shipped? I talked to the dealer again this week and he said it still shows as in production and there's no updated ETA. Just wondering if the car will even get here by the estimated timeframe of February-March I was first given.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
How long were your cars "in production" and how long did it take them to get to you when they were shipped? I talked to the dealer again this week and he said it still shows as in production and there's no updated ETA. Just wondering if the car will even get here by the estimated timeframe of February-March I was first given.
If it does not have a VIN yet, it’s going to be awhile. When did you order?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it does not have a VIN yet, it’s going to be awhile. When did you order?
Not sure if it has a VIN yet, dealer is very taciturn with the information they give. I'm going to ask them directly about it next time. I ordered toward the end of September though.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Not sure if it has a VIN yet, dealer is very taciturn with the information they give. I'm going to ask them directly about it next time. I ordered toward the end of September though.
I ordered two in August, maybe middle of the month—they were in D1 for maybe 6 weeks and then had VINs about two weeks later. I think they shipped sometime in October and I took delivery of both a week before Christmas.

The dealer kept getting updates towards the middle of November and was expecting them on each subsequent delivery. He thought the QV was going to show up first, and then it showed the Stelvio coming first. And then out of nowhere got a text message with a pic of the QV, then a call.

Both showed up on the same truck. If yours is tracking similar to mine, perhaps it will show up the last week in February, early March 🤞

1 - 20 of 34 Posts