Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

First time Alfa owner

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  fortunato17 
#1 ·
Took delivery yesterday of my new Giulia Quadrifoglio in Alfa Rosso. This car is simply amazing! Most recently drove a 2014 Jaguar F-Type S and a 2011 BMW M3 and I can honestly the Alfa tops them both. One question...any tips for the Homelink for garage opening? Can not seem to find instructions in the manual anywhere.
Thanks so much,
Derek

#3 ·
I stole this info from a previous post, there is also a link to an Alfa produced video somewhere on here.

I never got mine figured out though, so I just use the remote that same with the opener.

Step 1: Push the button you tried to program, does it blink fast or slow? What about the other buttons? A slow blink is not programmed. So if you have a slow blink, same rate as the non-programmed buttons, then you need to start here. I move A LOT for work so I redo these things all the time and never have issues, same car... In my parent's BMW I had ****. It was very particular about how close I held the transponder to the visor. Normally, I just put the remote right next to the visor or mirror and mash the buttons until I get the lights to change rate. If after say 30 seconds I don't get the change I release and start again. In my parent's car I was "too close" and it took me a while to figure this out.

Step 2: Assuming you have the fast blink meaning you have the Homelink programmed you need to address the motor. Put the door up. Find the purple, sometimes green, button on the motor and push it, sometimes a hold. You should get a new light on the motor. Run back to the car and push the now programmed button (fast blink still, yes?)

Step 3: Hold that Homelink button until the Learn light on the motor goes out - some start to flash (you did keep the manual for the garage door motor right?). You now need to keep pushing the Homelink button until the door pairs. Usually a few cycles of push/release. Homelink will stop sending after like 30 seconds or so so if you don't have the motor accept the new transponder start again.

If you have an aftermarket transponder it proves your motor is able to accept new transponders and that it's compatible. Unless your system is from the 80's I doubt this is the issue.

#5 ·
The following operation will delete the manufacture’s standard codes and does notneedtoberepeatedduringthe subsequent button programming:
Push and hold the outer buttons (1 and 3). After about ten seconds, the lighted indicators will start to flash. Release both buttons.
04246S0006NA Garage Door Opener (Homelink)
Buttons
1 — Homelink Button 1 2 — Homelink Button 2 3 — Homelink Button 3 4 — Homelink Indicator
Note: Followthestepsbelowtobegin programming your remote control to one of the HomeLink buttons:
1. PushandholdthedesiredHomeLink button (1, 2 or 3).
When the HomeLink indicator begins to flashslowly,movetheportableremote control one to three inches from the
HomeLink system (keeping the programmable button pushed down).
2. Iftheindicatordoesnotbegintoflash quickly, change the distance between the HomeLink and the portable remote control and try the procedure again.
3. The HomeLink indicator flashes, first slowly and then quickly. When the indicator starts to flash quickly, release both buttons.
Using The Homelink System
The HomeLink system activates the garage door or gate motor, just like the portable remote control. The car must be within the range of the garage door and the ignition must be in the ON position. Push the programmed button (1, 2 or 3). While the signal is being transmitted, the indicator is lit and the system (garage door, gate, etc.) will respond.
If the HomeLink system does not operate, the original portable remote control may be equipped with an alternative code (refer to “Alternative Code Synchronization”).
If necessary, the original remote control can still be used to operate the system.
Alternative Code Synchronization
To check whether the garage door or gate motor has an alternative code, proceed as follows:
1. Readthegaragedoororgatemotor manufacturer manual.
2. Theportableremotecontrolseemsto have programmed to the HomeLink system, but the garage door or gate can be neither opened or closed.
3. Pushtheprogrammedbuttonand keep it pushed (1, 2 or 3). With an alternative code system, the indicator flashes briefly, and then remains off for two seconds. This sequence is repeated for 20 seconds.
Warning!
Vehicle exhaust contains carbon monoxide, a dangerous gas. Do not run your vehicle in the garage while programming the transceiver. Exhaust gas can cause serious injury or death.
Your motorized door or gate will open and close while you are programming the universal transceiver. Do not program the transceiver if people, pets or other objects are in the path of the door or gate. Only use this transceiver with a garage door opener that has a “stop and reverse” feature as required by Federal safety standards. This includes most garage door opener models manufactured after 1982. Do not use a garage door opener without these safety features. Call toll-free 1-800-355-3515 or, on the Internet at HomeLink.com for safety information or assistance.
Note: ToprogramHomelinkusingan Alternative Code, the car must be within range of the garage door. Activate the
handbrakeandturntheignitiontoON, without starting the engine.
Proceed as follows:
1. Locatethe“Learn”or“Train”buttonon the garage door or gate motor. The color and position may vary depending on the manufacturer (consult the garage door or gate manual). Push the “Learn” or “Train” button (this normally activates the setting warning light).
2. Push the desired HomeLink button (1, 2 or 3). When the HomeLink indicator begins to flash slowly, move the portable remote control one to three inches from the HomeLink system (keeping the programmable button pushed down).
3. Within30seconds,pushthe programmed key (1, 2 or 3) and release it. Push the programmed button a second time and release it to conclude the operation. For some motors, the operation will probably have to be repeated a third time to end the setting.
The motor should now be capable of recognizing the signal transmitted by HomeLink and then open/close the door orgate.

Reactions: Alfaholico
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.