Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car for the first service on Wednesday, basically a oil change. When I was at the service counter I was told that several items needed to be updated , I was also told the glove box had to be replace ( it opened and closed alright ) but it had to be replaced ok, about 3 hours later I was contacted that there was a leak in the radiator and it needed to be replaced, I told them that I didn't notice any stains on the driveway, and was told that I wouldn't have noticed it because the leak was dripping onto the bottom of the car and would not have made it to the ground , the only thing I did notice was that the fan was running after the car was turned off, so I guess it's something that you should check and keep a eye on , Alfa called me derectly and stated that the radiator was being shipped and this would also fix an air conditioning problem that some vehicles were having. The car was returned to me Thursday, washed and ready to hit the road. The service advisor also stated that he knows that we were told 9000k betw=n oil changes but it should be done every 3000k, he quoted me a price for full synthetic oil was around $85.00

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I took my car for the first service on Wednesday, basically a oil change. When I was at the service counter I was told that several items needed to be updated , I was also told the glove box had to be replace ( it opened and closed alright ) but it had to be replaced ok, about 3 hours later I was contacted that there was a leak in the radiator and it needed to be replaced, I told them that I didn't notice any stains on the driveway, and was told that I wouldn't have noticed it because the leak was dripping onto the bottom of the car and would not have made it to the ground , the only thing I did notice was that the fan was running after the car was turned off, so I guess it's something that you should check and keep a eye on , Alfa called me derectly and stated that the radiator was being shipped and this would also fix an air conditioning problem that some vehicles were having. The car was returned to me Thursday, washed and ready to hit the road. The service advisor also stated that he knows that we were told 9000k betw=n oil changes but it should be done every 3000k, he quoted me a price for full synthetic oil was around $85.00
What model, model year, and date of manufacture please.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
@Carmdale,
What is the color of the new antifreeze?
Orange like when the car was new, or a purple color?

Reactions: AlfaCrisis

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2017 Gulia ti build date March 2017 I didn't check the color of the anti freeze, but when alfa called me they said that I had a antifreeze smell in the drivers compartment, which I didn't have so the tech must have spotted it

·
Registered
630 Posts
My incompetent sales dealer also recommended more frequent oil change intervals. You know why? Because it’s more money for them and more opportunities to recommend unnecessary services that boost their profit margins. Things like transmission fluid flushes, fuel treatment additives, crappy detail jobs, etc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Here’s my thoughts on oil change intervals as mentioned elsewhere before. The 1 yr/ 10k oil change interval recommendation is for standard service duty. Even though the owner's manual recommends more frequent oil change intervals for heavy usage and even provides examples of what that means, it's not exactly a black or white situation, it's all gray area. Not to mention the fact that the oil change intervals were based on a wide variety of factors to come up with a composite model for which there is a normal distribution with some standard deviation. Your car and/or driving habits may not be average and therefore you may fall well outside of what is considered normal. You'll probably be fine with 10k intervals. But you might not be. The only way to know for sure is to sample your oil regularly and send it off to a lab for analysis.

Your dealer is smoking crack recommending 3k mi oil change intervals. That shows me they’re totally incompetent and/or crooks. I would never have my car serviced there.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
2017 Gulia ti build date March 2017 I didn't check the color of the anti freeze, but when alfa called me they said that I had a antifreeze smell in the drivers compartment, which I didn't have so the tech must have spotted it
Please, please, please look and report...there's some confusion about the subject.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took my early build 2017 Q4 2.0 in for 30k service. Leaking radiator as well. Been in shop for 15+days now. I am told there is a supply issue now with no ETA in sight! Contacted Alfa Cust Svc at the dealer's request, opened a case today. The dealer is top notch and has been very transparent, been driving a Stelvio as a loaner. Hope to know more next week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever get the radiator replaced? If so how long did it take to get shipped. Going through the same predicament.

I took my early build 2017 Q4 2.0 in for 30k service. Leaking radiator as well. Been in shop for 15+days now. I am told there is a supply issue now with no ETA in sight! Contacted Alfa Cust Svc at the dealer's request, opened a case today. The dealer is top notch and has been very transparent, been driving a Stelvio as a loaner. Hope to know more next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts