Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I posted this in the Alfa Romeo Owners North America FB group, but just want to post it here as well

So here's the story

At 9600 miles, the scheduled maintenance light appears on the dash, as well as the change engine oil light. Both of these maintenance lights indicate that the car is requesting its first service, referred to as the 1yr/10k service in the manual

I drive the car to my dealership (120 mile round trip) and it sits out front with 9881 miles on the clock. This is 281 miles more than the 9600 mile interval (as shown in the infotainment system) but 119 miles less than the 10k interval shown in the manual.

The service adviser tells me that I can get my service done, but I must pay for it. Alfa Romeo will not pay for this service, its first service, unless it has hit exactly 10k miles.

So, the first recap here is that I have driven 120 mile round trip to be denied complementary 1st service, because I am 119 miles less than the manual, while still exceeding the infotainment's maintenance information.

Keep in mind, the manual states that the car tells you when to bring it in for service, but it should not exceed 10k/1yr. To me, bringing the car in at 9881 was for its 10k service, which the car has wanted since 9600 miles.

So, I drive back to my house and the car currently has 9944 miles on the clock, and I am scheduled to have the car go in for service tomorrow once it has hit 10k, which it will after driving 60 miles again back to the dealership. Keep in mind I lease this car, and I am now effectively blowing my mileage taking it back and forth to the dealer, really for no good reason other than to accumulate miles.

I could take the car in for service at 9999 miles, and they would tell me to go away until it has 10k.

But wait, there is more

A couple of weeks ago I get a wheel refinished. I drop off the wheel and pick it up the next day. I got one of my summer wheels refinished while I still had my winter tires on. I tell them I don't need a loaner, because they don't need access to my car. It makes sense.

But today, on top of being jerked around, I am told that due to my age I cannot drive the loaner. Ok, very fair, that is common policy. That's why every time I go to a dealer now, I bring my dad who is 61 years old. He is a licensed driver, and legally allowed to drive any loaners at this point. I expected him to drive me in the loaner car home, where he can drive the loaner and I take his daily to school the next day. It all makes sense. But no, they tell me that somehow "I did not request a loaner" and there are no loaners available. Keep in mind, I just drove down to the dealership with my dad in the passenger seat, and myself behind the wheel. I don't know how they expect us to go back to New Hampshire, perhaps walk, but I didn't wear my walking shoes today. So, now they are jerking me around with service intervals, as well as a loaner that I can't even drive in the first place. This dealership is part of a group with 18 brands and 10 different locations. Perhaps they could have walked across the street to their other dealer and gotten a car from there, I am not picky.

So, if you read this, I am curious as to your thoughts. To me, I felt like I was getting jerked around and my time and lease miles (of which I care a lot about, I have mileage spreadsheets dating back to when I got the car to keep track) wasted. I do not blame the dealer entirely for this, if this is an Alfa Romeo policy. If this is an Alfa Romeo policy, this is one of the dumbest policies I have ever seen in my life. The car tells me it needs service. The manual tells me to listen to the car. I take the car for service. They tell me to listen to the manual. This contradicts the car, which is the thing I drive everyday, I don't drive an owner's manual to school, I drive a car.

I sent this story to Alfa Romeo Cares and look forward to a response

Thanks,
Max

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jaguar did the exact same thing to me. It was a lease so guess what, no service. I could care less.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,747 Posts
I call 'BS' on that dealer. I had my 1-year service (glorified oil change) performed last week as well with no such shenanigans, Oh, and T-57 as well.
I hope they're not taking advantage of you because of your age. Shame on them if they are. I wouldn't be surprised if they also treated women badly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Max, that sucks! but to echo Dean: Its a lease. At the end of the day: not your car, not your problem.

I hope that Alfa Romeo Cares takes good care of you. You would think a dealer would not want to push away a young enthusiast....

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I think it's total bs re. the 10k and they're jerking you around. I had my service at 7k, I got the year mark before the 10k so that's nonsense in my book.

The loaner.. 'maybe' as I always double check when I book mine in that one will be available (same with all of my cars/dealers) as I live the other side of nowhere. I think they could have found you 'something' if it's as described. Definitely bring this up with Alfacares

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,747 Posts
Be careful, lessors; you may be responsible for seeing to it that the car receives required/recommended maintenance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Max, hate to hear of a dealer that does not have a clue on own to treat a new customer.
You should post the name of the dealer that way other people can gauge if its a service advisor who has no clue on how to do his job or is it the policy of that dealership.
Been in the business for over 30 years and I hope Alfa will take care of this issue.
I have owned Italian cars all my life. In the 80's and 90's due to poor techs and minimal knowledge on retaining a customer base cost Alfa and most Italian brands to pull out of North America. I hope it does not happen again.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I voluntarily went in at 1100 miles to do an oil change on my Quad because I felt I should (owned car, not leased)...
I returned at 8700 miles to receive my "factory recommended" 2nd oil change....my dealer gladly performed this on Alfa's dime....But even if I had to pay for it, I would have...but that doesn't mean that you are not correct in feeling "jerked around"....In light of your required travel distance, the dealer is being downright belligerent.... I'm assuming that you leased the car from this dealer ? Not that that should matter...just curious.....D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I voluntarily went in at 1100 miles to do an oil change on my Quad because I felt I should (owned car, not leased)...
I returned at 8700 miles to receive my "factory recommended" 2nd oil change....my dealer gladly performed this on Alfa's dime....But even if I had to pay for it, I would have...but that doesn't mean that you are not correct in feeling "jerked around"....In light of your required travel distance, the dealer is being downright belligerent.... I'm assuming that you leased the car from this dealer ? Not that that should matter...just curious.....D
I just hit 1500 miles on my 18 QV and was thinking of doing the same. Zero problems with the car so far and being that it’s not a lease I want to keep it that way. Where did you take it? They didn’t charge for the early extra change?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
geesus this is one of the stupidest dealer attitudes/experiences I've ever read about - it's one thing to screw up because the tech isn't experienced with a new vehicle, but this is just being idiots without reason.
I'd rather go to that chevy dealer (although they are a little farther than I'd like for service) than these people, and I'm guessing this is one of two possible dealers, please let us (or me) know who it is so they can be avoided like the plague.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This dealership is part of a group with 18 brands and 10 different locations.
I won't be due for my first service for another 3 or 4 months but this sounds like it might be my leasing dealer, Herb Chambers. If so, were you dealing with the Wayland or Millbury location? Central in Norwood is a good option for me so it would be useful to know if Superb Herb is falling short.

·
Registered
315 Posts
As far as I'm aware the first free service is supposed to be free if done before 10k miles and before the 1 year mark. Nothing mentioned in the paperwork that I have about having to have 10k on the clock, but it has to be less than 10k....

Call BS on this dealer. They sound like they are jerks.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I won't be due for my first service for another 3 or 4 months but this sounds like it might be my leasing dealer, Herb Chambers. If so, were you dealing with the Wayland or Millbury location? Central in Norwood is a good option for me so it would be useful to know if Superb Herb is falling short.
Bella, I am not sure this will help either. I have been pretty miffed with the service garage at Central. It's a huge place, and I got a definite vibe that the manager and possibly some techs were horribly jealous of my Quad, or just very stingy over legitimate damage. The manager was there both times and looked over my car after delivery for the steering wheel scuff and then just recently for the blistered tire. Hardly said a word or even looked me in the eye. The rep even tried to tell me the tire was 2x the cost I know it to be when done. I think that was another distraction attempt and a way to push me out the door. In both cases they seemed to think the cost was too high and AR would not honor or stiff them on the warranty. Well on the tire, I had BOUGHT road hazzard protection so the tire was covered! But they still managed to chip up and scratch my wheel for something I had already paid for, and the wheel was structurally OK - didn't need replacing! Would they rather pay for a new wheel too? With all the makes jammed under that complex, with Alfa Fiat physically across the divided highway, I am starting to regret not going to Herb or Kelly. My reception at Kelly was fantastic and much the same as Herb but I don't really know about their service. The last resort may be Miller and just make a road trip out of it. Seriously, it beats all the heart ache and personality/professional issues.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.