Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hahah Thanks all for the Replies. Its currently like 35 degrees here and raining so I have plenty of time to type as the tires (Basically RCOMPS) aren't the best in this weather haha.

I own a Saab 9-4x and use to own a 500hp (445whp) Scion FRS. Sold the FRS for this beauty as I needed a family friendly sedan (Convinced wife we needed a Giulia QV). Her being Italian she was on board with picking one up and being super supportive.

I was part of a select few that got 1st dibs from FCA (Crazy long story). I got to order basically what I wanted and they would pick a car from their allocation that macerated my specs.

I wanted a Standard QV with, Upgraded Audio, All safety features such as collision warning, etc, standard seats and brakes. Sticker price with all of that is located here : http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= zarfaeav2h7518036

I picked a dealership in Newport News, VA. Most of the dealerships around the Washington DC area are a bit snooty and I knew they would start charging surcharges the minute the vehicle came in as they told me 6 months ahead of time they would in the summer during the levante premiere.

Picked up a 1 way rental and battled about 4.5 hours of Christmas weekend traffic to pick up the car yesterday. Got there and paperwork took about 20 minutes or so and I was set. I had so many people from the dealership just in shock and awe about this vehicle. I just wish by the time we were done it wasn't night time so I could look at it more.

On comes the drive back home to Silver Spring, MD. It was nerve wracking to say the least. The most expensive car I have owned is a Used 9-4x which was about 30k. The FRS sticker was about though with all my modification I would say it was about 40k haha but again that's a different story. So me and my wife driving a 85k vehicle home for the first time was pretty crazy. After spending about 15 minutes getting use to all the controls post dropping off our one way rental we were ready to go. Here is where I talk about driving it :

Comfort: Boy this car is super comfy, the bumpy road dampeners are simply amazing. Chris harris wasn't lying when he said this is the most comfortable 4 Door saloon he has driven. Its so comfy you don't even realize how fast you are going! I was trying to follow speed limit at night going about 75 in a 70 and sometimes I would look at the dash and saw I was going 90 haha. Truely awesome lol.

Interior: I know a lot of people complained about the interior. Honestly this is my first real luxurious vehicle (though the 9-4x counts but interior quality isn't great) and I think the interior is amazing. I could think of one or 2 issues such as the arm rest being a bit floppy and the buttons not really being anything fancy but other than that its a wonderful place to be with no complaints.

Brakes: A bit touchy just need to get use to them. Again standard Steel brakes.

Exterior: Gorgeous. I asked the dealership to not touch the vehicle. Basically don't use any machines to wash it or anything. If you want to hand wash it that is fine. When I took delivery I could see standard factory swirl on the brilliant paint. Smudges show up very easily from oily hands so will have to keep the vehicle clean at all times :)

Driving: Smooth is how I would describe it. Power delivery is there, small amount of lag but nothing crazy. It was all highway so a few occasions when I was driving I used acceleration to get up to 90(though it felt like 76 or 80) with out any issues. My crazy italian wife went into tripple digits at one point when a Porsche Cayenne Turbo was getting a bit to close for her comfort. I was all like heyyyyy lets take it easy. I need to read instructions on brake in period. I will say the car feels amazing and lively.

Honestly I am just happy to look at this thing sitting in our garage. It represents so much hard work we have put into our lives and its nice to know both my wife and I can enjoy something so special. Funny fact, my wife has a twin sister and her name is Giulia (Italian spelling) as well lol.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you had a chance to fiddle with some of the features, want to know if it has Launch Control?

The manual mentioned no Launch control and going thru the settings I have not seen it. I don't think its something super obvious otherwise I would have come across it most likely.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Have you had a chance to fiddle with some of the features, want to know if it has Launch Control?
1. Engage brake firmly with left foot.
2. Load rpms to 3,500-4,000 with right foot.
3. Release left foot, and use small steering inputs to correct sideways motion.

Kidding. Don't believe there is a launch control, odd though. Maybe they just forgot haha. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
6 Posts
1. Engage brake firmly with left foot.
2. Load rpms to 3,500-4,000 with right foot.
3. Release left foot, and use small steering inputs to correct sideways motion.

Kidding. Don't believe there is a launch control, odd though. Maybe they just forgot haha. Happy Holidays!
:grin2: in all seriousness this car is still a torque converter automatic so you kinda cant have a launch control mode. launch control modes are mainly used to modulate the clutch in a DCT (or AMG's MCT) to eliminate the DCT lag.

The manual mentioned no Launch control and going thru the settings I have not seen it. I don't think its something super obvious otherwise I would have come across it most likely.

Congrats on the car! Do the rear seats fold down? i searched all over and i couldnt find a concrete answer, but it doesnt seem like it does from the european review videos ive seen (weird that such a common feature is omitted...)

·
Registered
418 Posts
:grin2: in all seriousness this car is still a torque converter automatic so you kinda cant have a launch control mode. launch control modes are mainly used to modulate the clutch in a DCT (or AMG's MCT) to eliminate the DCT lag.

Congrats on the car! Do the rear seats fold down? i searched all over and i couldnt find a concrete answer, but it doesnt seem like it does from the european review videos ive seen (weird that such a common feature is omitted...)
I actually didn't know that about Launch control. I always thought it was a combo of optimum rpm for launch and moderation of the traction control systems to propel the forward as fast as possible. Learned something new lol. I don't think the rear seats fold down, I only noticed covers for latch childseat anchors. It was like 8pm and we primarily went over the screen and general vehicle operations supposed to do a secondary delivery Monday, I'll let you know if Kanundrum hasn't already replied.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually didn't know that about Launch control. I always thought it was a combo of optimum rpm for launch and moderation of the traction control systems to propel the forward as fast as possible. Learned something new lol. I don't think the rear seats fold down, I only noticed covers for latch childseat anchors. It was like 8pm and we primarily went over the screen and general vehicle operations supposed to do a secondary delivery Monday, I'll let you know if Kanundrum hasn't already replied.

Confirm seats do not fold down!

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah it's a combination of all of those things! imo the main reason why launch control modes were introduced were because they wanted impressive 0-60 times for magazines. how do you "dump" a clutch that's electronically controlled? launch mode!

Confirm seats do not fold down!
womp womp womp

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is super cool and sounds actually pretty loud lol. But I'm assuming it's just because it's in a garage so anything will sound pretty loudly anyhow. Love it though !

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is super cool and sounds actually pretty loud lol. But I'm assuming it's just because it's in a garage so anything will sound pretty loudly anyhow. Love it though !

We need a software option to have racemode exhaust open 100% of the time!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats, man. Looks awesome. I assume you will be getting the hair dryer out to remove that "POMOCO" sticker...can't stand when the dealers plaster their ads on a brand new car.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats, man. Looks awesome. I assume you will be getting the hair dryer out to remove that "POMOCO" sticker...can't stand when the dealers plaster their ads on a brand new car.
LOL Yea. They failed to mentioned they put it on so now I will leave it to the detailer to take care of!

Also

For those wondering about the car cover

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had the chance to sit in a black Giulia Quadrifoglio two days ago. Car had just arrived to the dealership and as a 4C owner got a call from the sales rep to check it out. I do not really need a 4 door sedan, but reading all the good press I was intrigued. Was contemplating trading in my 4C ( DD with18k miles ) for a Giulia Quadrifoglio or maybe a Giulia Veloce if the Veloce ever hits the USA. Unfortunately they did not let me test drive the QV, but I was not that impressed. Maybe it was the color ( black ) . Also as the car car arrived from detailing to the show room the exhaust note was rather muted and the mechanic told me that the exhaust only comes to live when pressed hard. Anyhow, I am sure the QV is a blast to drive on a German Autobahn or on the track, but here in the USA with our speed limits for myself I do see any use for myself.
Will keep my white 4C for a while longer which puts a big smile on my face every day I drive it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My customer came by today to sign something and let me test drive it. So much irony there but yeah haha. I was amazed at how incredibly smooth the power delivery is. Now I'm even more excited/impatient for the ride & drive training next month.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts