Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My less than a week old QV with 200 miles developed first electronic issue but maybe a blessing. This morning when started it showed an alarm in yellow. "Auto start/stop not available". As I said perhaps I should leave this way as that function is very annoying.

As for the questions.

1) In trying to familiarize with the display I found the oil level screen. It showed half full. So I checked the dipstick and indeed is only half full. Should not have been filled at factory and then checked by the dealer? Or is this the level that it should be.

2) I looked and looked in the manual but cant find instructions on how to sync the garage doors with the car.

3) Is the slight vibrations at idle, more noticeable in race mode, normal?

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
1 - My QV was delivered with oil half full as well.
2 - Don't know.
3 - Try putting the car in neutral to see if the vibration reduces. When you press the brake, the gearbox is supposed to disengage something to reduce consumption on idle, but it doesn't always happen depending on how you braked prior/how hard you're pressing the brake, etc. Also try turning air-con off. I find the engine can be very smooth at times on idle, and quite rough at other times. It seems related to load and engagement of the gearbox. I've not noticed a difference between DNARace.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1.) Are you saying the stick shows half full(!!), or it's halfway between the min and max marks? Huge difference. Halfway between min and max is perfectly fine when the engine is still warm.

2.) I don't have a Giulia yet, but the PDF I have of the manual shows the Homelink section on pages 53-56. Check those pages in your manual. It's a normal Homelink system like most other cars, so if you've done it on your other cars it's the same deal. General instructions can be found here:

http://www.homelink.com/program/watchvideo

3.) Depends on your definition of "slight" I guess. Can you localize the vibration at all?

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
My less than a week old QV with 200 miles developed first electronic issue but maybe a blessing. This morning when started it showed an alarm in yellow. "Auto start/stop not available". As I said perhaps I should leave this way as that function is very annoying.

As for the questions.

1) In trying to familiarize with the display I found the oil level screen. It showed half full. So I checked the dipstick and indeed is only half full. Should not have been filled at factory and then checked by the dealer? Or is this the level that it should be.

2) I looked and looked in the manual but cant find instructions on how to sync the garage doors with the car.

3) Is the slight vibrations at idle, more noticeable in race mode, normal?

Thanks
When did you pick up your Alfa? as there are 5 software updates that address many of the electronic gremlins mentioned throughout the forum. Check with your dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1.) Are you saying the stick shows half full(!!), or it's halfway between the min and max marks? Huge difference. Halfway between min and max is perfectly fine when the engine is still warm.

2.) I don't have a Giulia yet, but the PDF I have of the manual shows the Homelink section on pages 53-56. Check those pages in your manual. It's a normal Homelink system like most other cars, so if you've done it on your other cars it's the same deal. General instructions can be found here:

http://www.homelink.com/program/watchvideo

3.) Depends on your definition of "slight" I guess. Can you localize the vibration at all?

Thak you for the link on the homelink. Got it done this weekend and it works.

Yes, both the display and the dipstick shows half way between the full marks and low marks. I guess should not be worried.

As for the vibrations. It comes and go but it is very slight have not had the time to localize it as I am having so much time driving. I have the feeling will be collecting a bunch of speeding tickets.

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
There is something odd with the service routine four car manufacturers. The Master Tech at my dealer said that they do not do any software updates to any cars before they are delivered to the buyer.

He says they have to apply the updates based upon the symptoms only. Not every car has every feature combination or motor configuration and the updates apply only to symptomatic causes. They are not aware of any symptoms generally during their pre-delivery inspections. So Alfa Romeo has them apply the updates only after the customer complains.

Seems a little backwards to me. Though, I suppose the difference in electronic combinations and features and so forth can cause some cars have issues and others not. My car never had any auto start issues nor any of the other symptoms that other people have reported on this bulletin board. So I guess it somewhat make sense.

Reactions: Max and John_K_348

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Oil level app showed half full on my car so I brought it to the dealer, they said that is where it should be. They said the only thing you should pay attention to for services and oil changes is the app that tells you how many miles and or time until your next service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
EricVonHa
I am surprised to learn of Alfa's reactive rather than proactive approach to problems and software upgrades.
The models aren't that diverse (Giulias and Quads and their variations) that issues that affect any percentage of a model shouldn't be addressed at the factory or dealer or through an e-mail to the car owner.
I'm hopeful that Alfa changes their approach.

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
EricVonHa
I am surprised to learn of Alfa's reactive rather than proactive approach to problems and software upgrades.
The models aren't that diverse (Giulias and Quads and their variations) that issues that affect any percentage of a model shouldn't be addressed at the factory or dealer or through an e-mail to the car owner.
Very good point on Alfa Romeo communication. I suppose if it were a full-on "recall" it would be a different approach with all-hands-on-deck. Nope. The "wait and see" approach is the norm. If it were my business, I would handle it differently. Especially in terms of the Quadrifoglio. How many owners are there? Around 100? If there are known issues, one would think that it would be commonplace for the dealers to proactively contact the owners being such a small group. Nothing like being part of the beta test group ;)

Though, I can't complain. My car has been perfect. Thankfully!

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is something odd with the service routine four car manufacturers. The Master Tech at my dealer said that they do not do any software updates to any cars before they are delivered to the buyer.

He says they have to apply the updates based upon the symptoms only. Not every car has every feature combination or motor configuration and the updates apply only to symptomatic causes. They are not aware of any symptoms generally during their pre-delivery inspections. So Alfa Romeo has them apply the updates only after the customer complains.

Seems a little backwards to me. Though, I suppose the difference in electronic combinations and features and so forth can cause some cars have issues and others not. My car never had any auto start issues nor any of the other symptoms that other people have reported on this bulletin board. So I guess it somewhat make sense.
This is not correct and the car should not be delivered without the requisite recall issues addressed. My car had all the software updates performed before I even saw the vehicle. No dealer should let a car out of DPI without all software up to date and all known issues corrected. Sounds fishy to me.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
This is not correct and the car should not be delivered without the requisite recall issues addressed. My car had all the software updates performed before I even saw the vehicle. No dealer should let a car out of DPI without all software up to date and all known issues corrected. Sounds fishy to me.
I could not agree more...However I am starting to believe that the issue is more dealer based than Alfa-North America based...
not saying that its okay..NOT by any means...but unfortunately it would seem that the dealers of Ferrari-Maser-Alfa are more equipped to handle these issues due to the fact they perhaps they have a more experienced service crew???
Fiat dealers never dealt with a car such as the Quad....loaded with Ferrari based engineering (Drivetrain & Suspension)....
I have personally experienced this....
IF Alfa wants to play with der Deutsche they better get the customer service end down pat:smile2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I could not agree more...However I am starting to believe that the issue is more dealer based than Alfa-North America based...
not saying that its okay..NOT by any means...but unfortunately it would seem that the dealers of Ferrari-Maser-Alfa are more equipped to handle these issues due to the fact they perhaps they have a more experienced service crew???
Fiat dealers never dealt with a car such as the Quad....loaded with Ferrari based engineering (Drivetrain & Suspension)....
I have personally experienced this....
IF Alfa wants to play with der Deutsche they better get the customer service end down pat:smile2:
This makes me incredibly sad. The Giulia is such an amazing car and I just can't understand the incompetence I seem to be hearing from some owners and prospective buyers regarding the dealer service. I guess I should feel fortunate I didn't have to experience any of this. I was able to order my car exactly the way I wanted and the service and communication I have received has been exemplary. This has made buying the car all the more enjoyable. I think Alfa is really missing the mark by having these dealer related issues. They will not compete if these issues do not get resolved. The new, different and exciting feeling of the car won't last forever and if people aren't being treated like they are at BMW, Audi, MB etc I fear Alfa may be in trouble. Hopefully, with enough feedback, this can get turned around.

Best of luck to everyone out there. If I can give you any ray of hope, it is that this is one of the best cars I have ever driven. The emotional response emanating from this vehicle is unbelievable. Stay fast in your resolve and you won't be disappointed...at least in the car!

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
This makes me incredibly sad. The Giulia is such an amazing car and I just can't understand the incompetence I seem to be hearing from some owners and prospective buyers regarding the dealer service. I guess I should feel fortunate I didn't have to experience any of this. I was able to order my car exactly the way I wanted and the service and communication I have received has been exemplary. This has made buying the car all the more enjoyable. I think Alfa is really missing the mark by having these dealer related issues. They will not compete if these issues do not get resolved. The new, different and exciting feeling of the car won't last forever and if people aren't being treated like they are at BMW, Audi, MB etc I fear Alfa may be in trouble. Hopefully, with enough feedback, this can get turned around.

Best of luck to everyone out there. If I can give you any ray of hope, it is that this is one of the best cars I have ever driven. The emotional response emanating from this vehicle is unbelievable. Stay fast in your resolve and you won't be disappointed...at least in the car!
Well said! Glad that Miller is the dealer I service the car at. Could not be happier with them. When the Stelvio arrives I will be sure to see them for one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Quadrifoglio really sounds impressive in 'Race' mode, but I don't want to turn off all the driver aids to get this effect.

Does anyone know how to go about getting the full exhaust sound in 'Dynamic' mode?

Is this possible with a software hack or something else?

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The Quadrifoglio really sounds impressive in 'Race' mode, but I don't want to turn off all the driver aids to get this effect.

Does anyone know how to go about getting the full exhaust sound in 'Dynamic' mode?

Is this possible with a software hack or something else?
To be honest I am thinking the drivers' aids would only kick in if you are way out of shape on a track, or on ice, snow and maybe rain........ I doubt that would interfere with normal everyday driving.......... so don't deprive yourself, that exhaust sound is intoxicating!

As far as software and hacks...... do you really want that in your QV?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
EricVonHa
Are you really surprised though? I'm not -- I agree with you, this approach, if it is the case which it sounds like, needs to change if they want to be serious competitors to BMW, Audi, etc ... a lot of people who don't understand will just think they're not good cars, and that's the last thing we need people thinking!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.