Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a chance to take the Quad out from an extended drive this weekend. About 250 miles round trip.

A couple of observations:

This is one quick car. Whether in Race, Dynamic, or even Normal mode. She’s fast, real fast.

I’m not a fan of seat sliding back what seems like all way to make it easier for you to get in and out of the driver’s side. Why I don’t like it is the seat is too far back for me; I have to really stretch to press the brake pedal to allow the car to start. I’m 5’7”. Secondly, even if the car is started and the driver door is open it will not slide the seat back to the saved position. You must close the door. So that means any passenger has to wait until the car is started and the driver door is closed for them to have room to get into driver side rear seat. I have not checked if this can be changed yet, but it’s not a good feature IMO.

I’m also not a fan of the cruise control assist. I would rather get closer to the car in front before having it slow me down, even in the closest setting. As with the driver seat, I have not checked if this can be changed yet, but not a good feature IMO. I’d like to just turn it off. This is one option we did not want but was “included” with the Quad we purchased.

Finally, we noticed more of an exhaust drone in the cabin while in Normal mode on the freeway compared to Dynamic mode. This was at 75mph, cruise control. A bit surprising for us.

Overall, very comfortable for “touring” and a great daily driver. Did I mention this is one quick car?!

There were lots of looks on the freeway and even while parked. One guy said, “Beautiful car. I’ve seen them in the commercials but never in person.” So maybe the TV marketing is working...

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Happy to hear you are enjoying it!...nothing worse than waiting for something and the expectation isn't realized...wait until she is broken in.....she is both quick and fast...she really shines under full load....I have to say though that you and I are the same height and I don't have an issue like you describe with the seat...other than I agree with that the seat sliding back and forth freaks me out a bit...if that could be disengaged sign me up...as far as the cruise...I don't use it, never have in ANY of my cars....
as far as the drone....I'm usually always in D mode, I really only switch the car to N when I am pulling into my development because I always get home late...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice review - Maybe I can share about my AWD Ti - It's primarily my wife's car but after picking up the car last Wed, here's my brief albeit picky review... The vehicle experience I've had previously range go as follows- so you'll know where I'm coming from in terms of thoughts - BMW M3 (1998), 2003 BMW X5 (4.0), 2004 Audi A4, 2006 C230, 2007 Audi S4, 2010 Audi A4.....

Current 2 vehicles are 2014 Mercedes C300 sport, and just added the Giulia.

Overall - This is a Gorgeous vehicle! Love the way she looks - all the curves are in the right places. Definitely can see where the passion comes in from Alfa!

Likes - Handling - OMG this thing handles better than I remember the M3 (e36) - that was RWD, and had staggered wheels. Drove that thing for 4 years+. The Giulia handles like a dream. After almost 10 years outside of BMW, I completely missed something that handled great and this car handles better than all the previous vehicles I've had. Even with the C300's staggered 18' wheels/ sport suspension, it still feels like there's a heavy weight at the back and a ton of dive when braking - the Giulia on the other hand, completely runs circles around her! Love the 50/50 weight balance.

I really like how heavy all 4 doors feel - vs BMW 3 series/even X3 in general which are very light -The Giulia's feel as solid as Mercedes and close like a vault.

Interior/exterior - We ended up with Trofeo White Exterior, and the red interior. I'm not a loud person, but this red just works really well in the car. Definitely looks great w/white ext, red calipers and glass roof.
Love the seats in this thing. They're very comfortable, and the side bolsters really feel good/hug you.

Overall looks of the car are just extremely sexy as I'm sure most everyone agrees.

Quirks/eccentricities as I call them... I find a difference, but to be fair, it is Alfa's return into the USA after a 20+ year absence so I'll put in what I have found in my limited driving over the past 3/4 days as we picked her up this past Wednesday night (6/14), and it's primarily my wife's car so she's been having most time in the chair so to speak taking it back and forth to work.

1. Yesterday, we got a bit of rain here, and it was the first time I used the wipers. They started out fine, but then the drivers side wiper started to grab onto the windshield. No biggie, I thought as this could be attributed to being new/rubber may need to get worn/settled against the glass. Anyway, the rain got a bit harder, and the more I drove, I felt something when I would brake. At first, I thought is the ABS turning on extremely slightly? It wasn't raining hard enough for that, but I thought maybe it's more sensitive than other vehicles I've driven. Stopped at the stoplight, and I felt it again - Turns out, it was the wipers. I felt the vibration of the wipers coming in through to the brake pedal. Not sure if this is consistent with other users, or even the QV, but I'd love to know....

2. I feel the window's are a bit thinner than MB/BMW - my hand happened to slide over the top as the window was open and just that "cheaper sound" if that makes sense? Quality-wise it just doesn't feel as premium as the competition. I am having the windows tinted and will report back if there are any issues, etc.

3. Front Seat pull out (front bolster under thigh). This happened the 2nd day - I was pulling it out for my wife (she was in the passenger seat), and when we got out of the car, I decided I'd pull out the manual and check it out. When I opened up the passenger door, I saw a gap - like a rip initially. Turns out, the middle leather that extends is actually a flap. Luckily it wasn't a rip, but saw some plastic clips to push in that middle flap of leather. I pushed it in, but it just made me feel like I wasn't expecting something like that to be in a 52k+ vehicle... (Yes I swear I didn't pull hard on it).

4. Infotainment/display - Rear backup camera -for lack of a better term, is an absolute joke. Honestly it's maybe okay for the daytime, but the size is terrible compared to others. Evening/Night - it's very difficult to see clearly. I hope they make the quality of the camera better and increase the size of the in-dash pic in the future.

5. It's been quite hot here lately, and that necessitates the use of the air-conditioning. I quote Jeremy Clarkson here when he spoke about lamborghini's AC in the past - "used to be an asthmatic sitting in the dashboard blowing at you through a straw". That's how I feel about Giulia's AC - compared to it's competition.

6. I wish the fender gap wasn't so large, rear wheels need spacers (on AWD at least)... but that's not really a quirk, just a preference.

I'll update more as I finally get to use it, but just wanted to put my brief experience out there! I'll certainly update, and would love to hear more from everyone's experiences.

Cheers!

·
Registered
52 Posts
First weekend in my Guilia

I'd like to echo some of Chicago's observations. We had a couple of good rain shower/thunderstorms here in the Atlanta area this afternoon and I noticed the wiper motion sensation in the brake pedal. The wipers seemed pretty grabby in the intermittent auto-sense mode but were fine in the high-speed (heavy precip) mode.
Same comment as 407guy about the seats. It wasn't a real problem for me at almost 5'9" but I think it would be tough for my wife at 5'4". I kind of like the feature for ease of ingress/egress but not so sure about having to close the door first before it moves you up. The A/C is not as frosty as our Subaru Outback but it seems adequate to the task.
Got the compass calibrated on a couple of the ever-proliferating roundabouts we have here in the suburbs of Atlanta.
I set off the panic button once last night at dinner getting out of the car :( Going to have to be careful with that fob.
Enough of the complaints for now. It was far too joyous in other respects and I'm smitten with how she drives and rides. A 30ish young man in a M3 complimented my "sick" choice of the Alfa. She definitely stands out. No problems finding her in a parking lot. I sense a trip to Road Atlanta in the fall for a track day or two. I've done with Porsche school on that track (with John Andretti as instructor) years ago and look forward to taking her there once she's been broken in on the streets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
About the wiper motion in the brake pedal...
I was told by a friend that his Volkswagen consumes brakepads wery fast, and it was the wipers???
So I googled it...
When you use the wipers the system will applie the brakes lightly now and then to keep the brake-discs dry.
So i guess that our Giulias also use this system and you can feel in the brake pedal.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great reviews and info!

Regarding Giulia's AC, I'm actually quite impressed so far. Today I took my Ti out into the desert for a spin (I-8 east towards El Centro area). It was all nice and chill inside the cabin until I stepped out for a photo, just to find that it's already 115F (46C) outside! If I were in my previous VW I would have been sweating bullets even with AC cranked to max. The car also got complimented by an enthusiastic border patrol agent at the check point. (Thanks officer! I promise there's nothing in my trunk)

Driving this car around just for fun has officially become my favorite hobby.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
I was told by a friend that his Volkswagen consumes brakepads wery fast, and it was the wipers???
So I googled it...
When you use the wipers the system will applie the brakes lightly now and then to keep the brake-discs dry.
So i guess that our Giulias also use this system and you can feel in the brake pedal.
Very innovative. If a light application, shouldn't cause much brake wear. I wonder whether it's on all Giulias.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
So I googled it...
Hmmm, normally disk brake pads drag lightly on the disks all of the time. I would think that this light drag would prevent water entry, but don't know.

My 1964 Jag Etype had spring brake pad retractors, a concept that was shortly thereafter abandoned. The problem is that if there is a gap between the pucks and the disk, "stuff" will get jammed into it the gap, especially sand. Loud screeching noises and gouged disks follow soon there after. Been there done that...

·
Registered
641 Posts
So I googled it...
My RS4 does the same. Don't know whether there's a connection or not but I had to replace the original brake pads after about 20,000 miles. Recently had to replace brakes and rotors at 47000 miles. Cost me upwards of $4,500!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I pretty regularly make the trip between NY and Maine, just under 800mi round trip. The TI AWD performance pack far exceeds my former '12 Mercedes C300 sport in every driving and comfort category. The MB had an easier media interface, and a much better and easier to use navigation system - but those are the only things I miss about the Merc. Of course, the Ti is faster, better handling, more comfortable, and more fun. But what surprises me is how compliant the suspension of the TI is - the highway and general driving ride is way more comfortable and quieter than the Mercedes. This may sound like a joke, but the straight-line suspension compliance is similar to that of my '67 Volvo 1800S. Further, when in Maine I live on an island, and we have a lot of unpaved roads. The Alfa takes dirt, gravel, and washboard very well - tires planted on the ground, no wheel hop, and again, a very compliant ride. At home I listen mainly to vinyl on fairly hi-end stereo equipment, and can say that the HK sound system is superb.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I pretty regularly make the trip between NY and Maine, just under 800mi round trip. The TI AWD performance pack far exceeds my former '12 Mercedes C300 sport in every driving and comfort category. The MB had an easier media interface, and a much better and easier to use navigation system - but those are the only things I miss about the Merc. Of course, the Ti is faster, better handling, more comfortable, and more fun. But what surprises me is how compliant the suspension of the TI is - the highway and general driving ride is way more comfortable and quieter than the Mercedes. This may sound like a joke, but the straight-line suspension compliance is similar to that of my '67 Volvo 1800S. Further, when in Maine I live on an island, and we have a lot of unpaved roads. The Alfa takes dirt, gravel, and washboard very well - tires planted on the ground, no wheel hop, and again, a very compliant ride. At home I listen mainly to vinyl on fairly hi-end stereo equipment, and can say that the HK sound system is superb.
Have I seen your car in Epping, NH by any chance?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I took my Q on a 400 mile trip yesterday and was blown away with how well it drove all while returning 26 mpg. A mix of interstate and 2 lane roads through small towns and such. Left it in N for most of the trip, no need for anything else. This car truly has a Jekyll & Hyde personality.
Insert smile here...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
My kids went to summer camp in Maine. Getting a Giulia as a rental at the Portland airport would've been a pinch me moment. The best I usually hoped for was a Mustang convertible. Think of a Midwesterner missing the Atlantic coast when you have a lobster roll and local summer brew. At least I also have the Alfa.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nope, never been to Epping. My only Alfa driving in NH has been on I-95, up into Maine, 90 miles past Portland on Rt. 1 to Rockport, then a ferry trip 12 miles offshore.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m not a fan of seat sliding back what seems like all way to make it easier for you to get in and out of the driver’s side. Why I don’t like it is the seat is too far back for me; I have to really stretch to press the brake pedal to allow the car to start. I’m 5’7”. Secondly, even if the car is started and the driver door is open it will not slide the seat back to the saved position. You must close the door. So that means any passenger has to wait until the car is started and the driver door is closed for them to have room to get into driver side rear seat. I have not checked if this can be changed yet, but it’s not a good feature IMO.
So yesterday the Q was at our local dealership (not where it was purchased) to have the windows tinted. While at the dealership my wife was introduced to some people in the service department. She asked if the service tech knew anything on how to stop this "feature". He said there currently isn't but he did make a comment that AR is aware of it and they are looking into having it "fixed".

Seems I'm not the only one that finds the auto slide-back annoying...

Reactions: Chicago

·
Registered
372 Posts
Does anyone know if the passenger side rear-view mirror can "tilt down" automatically when put in reverse? I've tried to find something but to no avail... Only other thing is there's a discernible sound when the highbeams turn on... Anyone else experience this? It's almost like a "clunk" sound. I don't have the adaptive (curve illumination at speed) headlights, just the normal ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Last week, I took my Giulia with less than 30 miles on it on a trip from D.C. To Columbus and back. Over four days of mostly highway miles, mixed with several days around Columbus visiting old haunts, I put on more than 850 trouble free miles and averaged 33.3mpg. Very satisfactory!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
Does anyone know if the passenger side rear-view mirror can "tilt down" automatically when put in reverse? I've tried to find something but to no avail... Only other thing is there's a discernible sound when the highbeams turn on... Anyone else experience this? It's almost like a "clunk" sound. I don't have the adaptive (curve illumination at speed) headlights, just the normal ones.
Bi-xenon headlights (Euro speak) by definition use a single light source with a shutter to select between low and high beam. I presume a fairly fast moving mechanical shutter, and thus your clunk sound.

The point of implementing them this way is that HID light bulb life expectancy is substantially decreased by cycling them on and off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does anyone know if the passenger side rear-view mirror can "tilt down" automatically when put in reverse?
Elsewhere in the forum someone suggested setting up one of the three available seat memory presets to fill this role, since the feature is not included. I use setting 1, wife 2, and the #3 (easy to find without looking) is set exactly the same as my #1 position with the exception of the side mirrors. I actually set them both to tilt down. I use the #3 preset when I'm parking in a spot next to a curb - which I try to find most of the time... Works great!

Reactions: 407Guy

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great idea Bull. Thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts