Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post:

Background: Cross shopping the M3(comp pkg), C63s AMG Coupe, ATS-V and of course the AR Giulia QV. The local dealer has three - two Rosso Comps and one Trofeo White. Read all the reviews, comparisons, etc. I regularly track a heavily modified GT350 so this will just be my daily as I don't want to drive my F250(toy hauler) everywhere I go. Thus I wanted to drive them for myself as my decision points are not just based on performance specs. I have driven all except the Giulia...ready to make a decision.

I happen to be driving my '17 GLS63 AMG(wife's ride) when pulling up to the dealership which I had an appointment. I walk in and they tell me no one can test drive unless you complete all the paperwork and pre-qualify before test driving. WTH? After no avail I leave with no test drive....heck they didn't even offer to start it up or go through the features with me. The AR showroom is 200' away from the Hyundai dealer where the salesman basically reside. Frankly not enough activity on the Fiat/Alfa Romeo showroom...understandable. I get that they don't want joy rides, etc but he tells me it is a rare car (800 in the US he stated, no idea if true)and the GM will not allow test drives. It is not like I pulled up in a Honda Civic and said hey can I drive that? So go through all the BS of working the deal just to drive and decide if I even want it? Total BS IMO. I guess the local dealer is making my decision easier if they can't pull their head from their backside.

Has anyone here experienced the same? Were you able to test drive without negotiating the deal, proving your worthiness, etc?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
First post:

Background: Cross shopping the M3(comp pkg), C63s AMG Coupe, ATS-V and of course the AR Giulia QV. The local dealer has three - two Rosso Comps and one Trofeo White. Read all the reviews, comparisons, etc. I regularly track a heavily modified GT350 so this will just be my daily as I don't want to drive my F250(toy hauler) everywhere I go. Thus I wanted to drive them for myself as my decision points are not just based on performance specs. I have driven all except the Giulia...ready to make a decision.

I happen to be driving my '17 GLS63 AMG(wife's ride) when pulling up to the dealership which I had an appointment. I walk in and they tell me no one can test drive unless you complete all the paperwork and pre-qualify before test driving. WTH? After no avail I leave with no test drive....heck they didn't even offer to start it up or go through the features with me. The AR showroom is 200' away from the Hyundai dealer where the salesman basically reside. Frankly not enough activity on the Fiat/Alfa Romeo showroom...understandable. I get that they don't want joy rides, etc but he tells me it is a rare car (800 in the US he stated, no idea if true)and the GM will not allow test drives. It is not like I pulled up in a Honda Civic and said hey can I drive that? So go through all the BS of working the deal just to drive and decide if I even want it? Total BS IMO. I guess the local dealer is making my decision easier if they can't pull their head from their backside.

Has anyone here experienced the same? Were you able to test drive without negotiating the deal, proving your worthiness, etc?
I didn't get a test drive as I received one of the first in the country, I bought sight unseen and am happy with my purchase...then again as I said there were NONE around to test drive when I purchased. That said, what you experienced was disgraceful and more a function of that particular dealer I'm betting...if your serious about possibly purchasing one and there is another dealer option I'd try there....if not their loss.
I had the same experience when I toyed with buying a new GT350. My local dealer actually had one and spec'd the way I wanted:grin2: Wimbledon White w/the Blue Stripe(I'm a sucker for Heritage)...drove over in my M5 and spoke with the manager, car was available, price was MSRP no budge...okay I said...lets go for a ride and if it is all that is said...I'm in....his answer was sorry no test drives...I said really??..I understand...and walked out...some dealers just don't get it....
as an FYI I came out of an F80 M3 (Non-ZCP) the BMW dealer had a ZCP in stock to test drive???...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Can't go wrong with the heritage colors....GT350 is a fun car for sure and as is a beast of a track car I may say...but not so much luxury....plus with my mods to inc roll bar(no back seat), catless(loud) and 315 squared Pilot Sport Cup 2's it is not like I can take the kids to school.

EDIT: Not getting rid of the GT350 as one could surmise...too much fun on the track to let that one go.

I drove these two in the last 24hrs:

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry about your lousy experience! :frown2:

My wife and I pulled up to the dealer's lot in our 16 year old Honda Accord. We went there because we saw online that they had a model with exact color and packages that caught our interest. The base Rosso Red Giulia was one of two red ones they had but the other one had a sun-roof, no way for us. The one that we liked had sports packages in and out, AWD plus the Sirius/XM which we really didn't need. This was at their Fiat/Alfa location. Their Hyundai/Kia and Dodge/Jeep stores were just down the street. The salesman was great and he took lots of time with us showing the car and answering questions.

When we indicated that we were seriously interested he got our pertinent info and handed us the key fob. He said take it home and bring it back tomorrow, no commitment. Over about 18 hours the Giulia sold itself ..... mozzafiato! :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I test drove a regular guilia and sat in a customers QV that was in for a service. My dealer didn't have any QVs and mine will be the last they have until the 18s arrive, and that will be a while for them. So I bought my QV without driving one or seeing it. I fully suspect they would have let me had they had one available. I had started by emailing my dealer to see if they had one coming that wasn't listed. They did. I showed up to the dealer (still not spoken as I didn't give my number). I walked in, asked for the guy. He gave me the keys to a giulia ti. Didn't check my ID or anything, and let me go for a drive by myself. Simple as that.

You my friend appear to have the dealership 'short straw.' However disappointed you are with your dealership experience, you will not be disappointed by the car.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Agree that the dealer needs to use some common sense....That being said...I bought my Quadrifoglio without a test drive but I did get to test "seat" a car in the dealership and realized I didn't want the Sparco seats...Also, there was an episode here in NY where the Manhattan dealer had a Quad damaged on a test drive so I do understand their reservation re: test drives because the cars are quite rare (Quads that is)...
As for your cross shopping list.....
The Merc is a two door....apples vs oranges?
The BMW is ubiquitous....especially among 20 somethings
The ATS V is very nice, but I didn't care for the interior...I found the base seat side bolsters too firm and very uncomfortable (over bolstered) and I'm very fit (not a big *ss here!!!)...

I think it comes down to a leap of faith perhaps and your desire to be outside the bell curve.....I love my Quad....have had no issues at all... and think you will too....
FORZA ALFA ....!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,438 Posts
Disgraceful. If you're so inclined (and I get it if you see it as a waste of time), I'd email FCA's Reid Bigland and tell him about the dealer who doesn't seem interested in selling cars.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Merc is a two door....apples vs oranges?
The BMW is ubiquitous....especially among 20 somethings
The ATS V is very nice, but I didn't care for the interior...I found the base seat side bolsters too firm and very uncomfortable (over bolstered) and I'm very fit (not a big *ss here!!!)...
The sedan C63 AMG is kind of ugly IMO. I hear you about the M3 but at $82k I wouldn't think too many 20 somethings are buying them. I liked the ATS-V but the auto trans reviews steered me away but had thought about the manual. Just not sure I want a daily manual..would get kind of old I think. Then there is the Cue system...ugh. Been there done that.

Disgraceful. If you're so inclined (and I get it if you see it as a waste of time), I'd email FCA's Reid Bigland and tell him about the dealer who doesn't seem interested in selling cars.
I would do that but can't seem to find an email. Really appreciate all the feedback!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Read the reviews. What's not to like?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Where are you located?
A couple of Florida and MA have allowed QV test drives, but in general the answer from most AR dealers has been no.

As a side, I tried to test drive a RS3 and was told no by the Audi dealer.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you located?
A couple of Florida and MA have allowed QV test drives, but in general the answer from most AR dealers has been no.

As a side, I tried to test drive a RS3 and was told no by the Audi dealer.....
Oklahoma. I did drive a RS3 as well. Not really in the same segment with interior space but did drive great.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
The sedan C63 AMG is kind of ugly IMO. I hear you about the M3 but at $82k I wouldn't think too many 20 somethings are buying them. I liked the ATS-V but the auto trans reviews steered me away but had thought about the manual. Just not sure I want a daily manual..would get kind of old I think. Then there is the Cue system...ugh. Been there done that.

I would do that but can't seem to find an email. Really appreciate all the feedback!
as far as the M3 being in the hands of 20 somethings....perhaps not in OK, but around my parts....you see quite a few...and besides....they aren't shelling out the 82k when they lease it...
very nice that your local dealer had a ZCP to test drive.....hit or miss around here as you see more straight up F80s than Comp-pkg cars...
Good Luck in the hunt

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not trying to justify the dealer but QV's are a very hard sell once they have more that 20 miles on the odometer.
I passed on a very good deal because a particular QV had 98 miles, stupid but I think typical of a QV potential buyer.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,438 Posts
I think #jeffshul was able to reach him (and get results). He's an FCA executive, so maybe his contact information is available on the corporate website.

Does anyone know whether #AlfaRomeoCares works the sales side as well as service?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
20 Somethings

Even when leased....it's the parents paying the bill.....:surprise:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Oklahoma. I did drive a RS3 as well. Not really in the same segment with interior space but did drive great.
You can try to connect with QV owners in OK and beg them to let you test drive their QV...... like I did with MDriver......:wink2:

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
423 Posts
Did OP actually drive ATS-V? Just curious to know thoughts on the experience...8-speed auto is my biggest concern as well.

Competition is all pretty awesome really, but they all have an Achilles heel, IMO.

QV - variable reliability experiences/dealership support
M3 Competition - still overrated/not as good as hyped to be
C63 - >4,000 lbs, more of a GT car
ATS-V - least "luxury" interior/tech, smallest back seat

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did drive it the ATS-V. Drove great, very precise...wasn't impressed with the shifting of the auto though.

Well I did finally connect with the GM of the store today. Great guy that admitted his sales mgr did not use the best discretion. I drove it today and poured over the car. Very much like the car but still a tough decision considering the company. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I did drive it the ATS-V. Drove great, very precise...wasn't impressed with the shifting of the auto though.

Well I did finally connect with the GM of the store today. Great guy that admitted his sales mgr did not use the best discretion. I drove it today and poured over the car. Very much like the car but still a tough decision considering the company. Decisions, decisions.
After driving it, it should be a no brainer.....

Reactions: mc3456
1 - 20 of 39 Posts