Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I’m kinda new to this whole forum stuff but figured I’d try something new as I just got my first car!

My name is Brandon. I am 16 and don’t have my license yet. For now, I have a permit until July, 2018. My parents got my my first car which just so happened to be from Alfa Romeo, specifically a 2018 Giulia Ti. Of course, I picked it out.

Just thought I’d share and possibly attempt to get used to this whole forum thing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You are crazily lucky to get a real drivers car as your first! I warn you that you are ruined for life now. Nothing but real wheel drive will ever feel "right" to you. Any future consideration of Audi's and Merc's will be rejected out of hand after a test drive for being "anti-septic and detached feeling". Then it all gets a bit complicated once you get into your twenties, porsche, maserati, start seeming like sensible options for a daily commuter car. You try to justify a Lotus elise based on the fact you don't have kids and you could get the weekly shopping delivered so you don't really need a boot. Then girlfriends start complaining that they can't get out of your car, in a skirt, without flashing way too much leg and that your exhausts are way too loud.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
My first car was a 1967 MG Midget.
My first Alfa was a 1969 Berlina 1750.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Hey Brandon, thanks for joining, and congrats on that fantastic first car! I think your parents are utter nuts but who cares what I think lol. Share some pics when you can for for goodness sake (and being a parent) BE CAREFUL! :D

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes lucky you! I suggest getting a blue tooth OBDII scanner and downloading an app onto your phone. Have fun playing around with the gauges and info. Know that you can now check you own Check Engine lights. Make sure you close the gas cap till it clicks and don't be tempted to try to lower the car right away ;) Enjoy that awesome suspension. I am loving the damper button on my Quad, in both Race and Dynamic modes. This gives mid and soft settings. A dream come true on real city streets. And the drive? Well I guess you already know. Now it will be hard to drive anything else. Buona fortuna Alfisto!
:D

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
You're off to a great start, Brandon. Hope you get that license on your first try. Be careful with Ms. Giulia. She can get you into trouble faster than a new driver may be able to get out of it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hey Everyone!

I’m kinda new to this whole forum stuff but figured I’d try something new as I just got my first car!

My name is Brandon. I am 16 and don’t have my license yet. For now, I have a permit until July, 2018. My parents got my my first car which just so happened to be from Alfa Romeo, specifically a 2018 Giulia Ti. Of course, I picked it out.

Just thought I’d share and possibly attempt to get used to this whole forum thing!
Congratulations ... Not many younger people go for Alfa Romeo, what drew you to the brand?

If I had to guess, you'll probably have the only Giulia in the high school parking lot, that is the case for me ... I am 2 years older than you, the Giulia was my second car after a Range Rover Supercharged

I failed my driving test for speeding, so don't feel bad if it doesn't work out the first time. If I had to recommend anything, do all of your hours legitimately and try and find the easiest DMV possible to increase the odds :laugh:

By a radar detector if you have the money, it's worth it especially at your age. Where I live, if you are pulled over under the age of 20, you lose your license for 20 days.

Again, welcome to the forum ... post pictures of the car if you have the chance :smile2:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey Brandon,

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you are the youngest member of the forum. You must have great parents. IMO you are starting out with a simply superb sports sedan. We need to see some photos as you have time. The first car I ever drove was a 1950 black Buick 4 door, before I even had a license. It had a "three on the tree" manual 3 gear shift on the steering column. You're going to love the ZF 8 speed auto especially when you use the paddle shifters. You'll need it to get away from the young chicks that will be chasing you. My last car is my 9 month old Giulia. I love it! I am actually 57 years older than you. Wait a minute ..... what was I saying? :confused:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hey JuliaQ4-Nut

You beat me by 3 years, first car I drove was a 56 Oldsmobile, but the first car that belonged to me was a 61 Austin Healey 3000 (bought it not ever driving stick before, could not get going, took a long time to get home).
And all my cars have been manual ever since, except my Giulia and one other.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I was 17, two weeks from Graduation and I took a trip to the Fiat dealer with my Dad and bought a new 850 Sport Spider in green with a saddle interior. The car cost $3200 and I put $1100 down which was all the money I had. I learned to drive stick on the way home that day. I always look for 850's to pop up but I've never seen a nice one.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Hey JuliaQ4-Nut

You beat me by 3 years, first car I drove was a 56 Oldsmobile, but the first car that belonged to me was a 61 Austin Healey 3000 (bought it not ever driving stick before, could not get going, took a long time to get home).
And all my cars have been manual ever since, except my Giulia and one other.
My best friend in high school had a 62 Austin Healey 3000 with a bum 1st gear so you had to start the car in 2nd. That's the car I learned how to drive in. The battery in the trunk was also not secured well, and if you didn't start the car off in 2nd properly, the car would buck and the battery would fall over which disconnected it. There's nothing more hilarious than seeing somebody jump out of a Healey in the middle of an intersection, run to the back, open the trunk to reconnect the battery, run back to get in to restart the car, then buck it again and have to go through that drill all over while yelling many many colorful metaphors.

My first car was a red 1964 Triumph Spitfire which I paid $350 for.

Compared to what we had back in the 60's, the cars today (especially the Giulia) are like something out of a science-fiction movie.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My first car at 16 was a blue 1949 Willys Jeepster four-seat convertible so blazingly fast that it could clock 0-60 in about five minutes with a tailwind and top out at 67 on a downhill run. It was put in storage during my Korea stint from 1953 to 1955. I finally sold it to buy a VW bug in 1957.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My best friend in high school had a 62 Austin Healey 3000 with a bum 1st gear so you had to start the car in 2nd. That's the car I learned how to drive in. The battery in the trunk was also not secured well, and if you didn't start the car off in 2nd properly, the car would buck and the battery would fall over which disconnected it. There's nothing more hilarious than seeing somebody jump out of a Healey in the middle of an intersection, run to the back, open the trunk to reconnect the battery, run back to get in to restart the car, then buck it again and have to go through that drill all over while yelling many many colorful metaphors.

My first car was a red 1964 Triumph Spitfire which I paid $350 for.

Compared to what we had back in the 60's, the cars today (especially the Giulia) are like something out of a science-fiction movie.
Mine had a bad battery, didn't care and would park on hills in the Bronx NY or push and jump in.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey Everyone!

Welcome.

Wow, parents got you a Giulia. What colors did you pick?

on a more serious note: drive safely. The thing is faster than you think!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Welcome and congrats. My dad bought my first wheels, Datsun 1300 pickup. Sold it less then a year latter to buy my first car for $50.00 1970 Pontiac Tempest. Lets just say it needed lots of work. Lasted me through high school until it met the side of a chevy pickup at 60mph. Drive safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
If my parents bought me a Giulia at age 16 I would not have lived past age 17.
A gigantic, gutless flat head 6 Desoto was the right machine for the situation.

OTOH, plenty of teen-age trouble to get into with that huge rear seat when the car was parked...

YMMV.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey Everyone!

Welcome! I guess you know you're pretty lucky to have that new Giulia as your first car.
My first was a motorcycle, a Honda CB400F to be exact. Second was an 11 year old 1969 Alfa Spider that was well used. I still have the car today. As a new driver I also got to drive my dad's '58 Giulietta and his '79 Sprint Veloce. That's what set the standard for me for driver's cars. Since then nothing other than italian cars have ever hit the mark for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts