Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Performance and looks are great but I have a few question/issues that I hope AR will address:

1. Auto high beams seem erratic no matter what sensitivity they are set to
2. Info screen seems to default to off mode when vehicle restarted no matter what setting I use
3. I too would like digital speedo read-out in Race Mode (maybe AR can reprogram this)
4. Absence of trunk tie downs and passenger tunnel map holder (The QV is supposed to be the best model!)
5. Nonfunction of touch pad functionality on main control dial despite instructions in manual
6. rough start/stop that always defaults to active mode
7. Dog sets off car alarm ? interior sensing when locked
8. High anxiety about local dealer service based on reports here
9. I would have preferred run-flat tires with longer tread life eg Michelin Supersport ZP
(I hate to be stranded on some country road with a tear in the sidewall!)

Yes some issues may be nitpicking but AR needs to know and hopefully most can be corrected and hopefully they get their dealers up to speed!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Whole thread for you to complain about your so called 'issues' http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/778-alfa-romeo-giulia-issues-problems/. Nitpicking to say the least (I agree with #3 though LOL).

"High anxiety about dealers based upon posts here"--are you kidding me? Who cares what people say here, are you having issues with your dealer? Don't worry about other peoples issues or half of what you read on the internet (especially forums).

I mean come on, you want different tires then go buy them. Run flats are horrible tires.

Take the car to your dealer for anything that needs to be addressed under warranty. That is what it's for--the rest is just nitpicking (some may be valid--but they are not issues).

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Performance and looks are great but I have a few question/issues that I hope AR will address:

2. Info screen seems to default to off mode when vehicle restarted no matter what setting I use
3. I too would like digital speedo read-out in Race Mode (maybe AR can reprogram this)
4. Absence of trunk tie downs and passenger tunnel map holder (The QV is supposed to be the best model!)
5. Nonfunction of touch pad functionality on main control dial despite instructions in manual
9. I would have preferred run-flat tires with longer tread life eg Michelin Supersport ZP

Yes some issues may be nitpicking but AR needs to know and hopefully most can be corrected and hopefully they get their dealers up to speed!
did you drive one before you purchased???
also as far as dealer, did you purchase your car from out of state or out of area??

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I do not understand why anyone would want a digital (i assume that means numbers) speed readout at all, especially if they have a speedometer. To me this is rather incomprehensible.
I did understand when people took issue with the location of the speedometer on the 76 Alfetta GT; that was a reasonable issue, but this stuff about wanting numbers flashing or something beside the speedometer , I just don't get it.

on another thread someone mentioned he had won the Alfetta challenge series (much belated congrats). That guy was in race mode, and I really doubt he had a digital speedometer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I do not understand why anyone would want a digital (i assume that means numbers) speed readout at all, especially if they have a speedometer. To me this is rather incomprehensible.
I did understand when people took issue with the location of the speedometer on the 76 Alfetta GT; that was a reasonable issue, but this stuff about wanting numbers flashing or something beside the speedometer , I just don't get it.

on another thread someone mentioned he had won the Alfetta challenge series (much belated congrats). That guy was in race mode, and I really doubt he had a digital speedometer.
Again this thread is not about 'issues' but preferences. That's first and foremost.

As to speedo, he's just something most cars have have for the past 10 years...sometimes change is good. He was referring to race mode--don't know what other exotics you own, but all I owned or own they all have it in race mode. It's not unusual. I sure as heck don't need to see what gear I'm in twice in the same window (which is what is does now).

No CD player in the car either, you probably don't like that or 8 track is preference?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Again this thread is not about 'issues' but preferences. That's first and foremost.

As to speedo, he's just something most cars have have for the past 10 years...sometimes change is good. He was referring to race mode--don't know what other exotics you own, but all I owned or own they all have it in race mode. It's not unusual. I sure as heck don't need to see what gear I'm in twice in the same window (which is what is does now).

No CD player in the car either, you probably don't like that or 8 track is preference?
"Where's the horse in front of this thing?"

Take this as a joke, please

·
Registered
622 Posts

my 75 alfetta gt with tach directly behind the steering wheel and directly in the driver's line of sight was perfect!!!!!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,633 Posts
Come on guys, so many harsh criticisms. Perhaps it would be better to be constructive?

rickyp417706 said:

Are you expecting high beams on in San Jose? High beams are rarely appropriate on freeways or urban settings and San Jose is one of the most light polluted locations on the planet. I can see the glow from the lights in San Jose when I am in Tracy. The combination should make it no surprise that auto high beams would be confused. I don't know if other systems behave better, but when I drive at night east from San Jose to Lake Tahoe with manual high beams, the high beams first come on when I reach SR-88.
rickyp said:
Alfa put their effort into getting affordable Ferrari suspension into the car. The electronics and programming there of are less than perfect. There is plenty of discussion of this in the forums.
rickyp said:
I put programmability of the center instrument screen on my "wish list". If that was there, you would get your digital speedo whenever you wanted it and I would get my large font outside temperature.
rickyp said:
I believe that trunk tie downs are available from your dealer now.
What is a "tunnel map holder"?
rickyp said:
If you have a 2018 help is on the way. Ask your dealer in about a month. If you have a 2017 it may be necessary to do some expensive surgery to make it work.
rickyp said:
Lots of discussion of this subject under other threads. It should not be "rough" in any case.
rickyp said:
Do you mean a dog inside the car? A dog outside the car should not be setting off the alarm. A dog inside the car should be restrained, or it is a serious safety hazard to you and other drivers on the road.
rickyp said:
I still have not heard any complaints about the quality of the work done at Steven's Creek Alfa; only that the front desk does not communicate very well (or at all).
Walnut Creek Alfa seems to get very good reviews if you don't mind driving a little bit.
rickyp said:

Change the tires if you don't like them. You can probably get a decent price for your used OEM tires by selling them to someone who likes them. They don't last very long in any case.
Most people do not like how the run flats handle and ride.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just relaying my initial impressions, issues, preferences, concerns or whatever you want to call it. Maybe someone on the forum has a fix. I stated from the outset that I really like the car overall and in no way am I not happy that I bought it. I'm glad that your car is exactly how you want it and that your dealer service has been spot on. I can understand how some owners want to only hear glowing reviews of their new purchase.
The manufacturers need feedback from customers so that they can focus on running changes and fixes, particularly on a new model. I can tell you from first hand experience that GM and Porsche gleaned a lot from the enthusiast forums on the Corvette and 911 and did incorporate a lot of the suggestions and criticisms.
And I forgot to mention the unknown/vague resolution to the Apple Car Play "issue".

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Have you read the owners manual yet?
Did you research the options before you purchased?
Have you checked into MOPAR accessories for your new Alfa Romeo?
(Seriously, you have to go through MOPAR to buy AR accessories)

Your issue with 8 is what's preventing 6 from being addressed. Some dealers are crap, yet others are the very best. You're going to have to exercise a little bit of faith and courage here.

I actually ditched my run-flats for performance tires at 500 miles. It's just a personal preference thing.

Reactions: ATXQUAD

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"about preferences"
OK, I fail to see why anyone would prefer numbers to a dial, and I really don't care what vehicles offer the choice.maybe the double gear indicator could be modified to indicate which infotainment mode is selected? flashing carplay lights or something?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"about preferences"
OK, I fail to see why anyone would prefer numbers to a dial, and I really don't care what vehicles offer the choice.maybe the double gear indicator could be modified to indicate which infotainment mode is selected? flashing carplay lights or something?
I bought my 78 Spider (my first Alfa) because of the dual binnacle instrument cluster behind the deep dish wooden steering wheel....that being said, as the owner of a MUCH FASTER ALFA NOW, I love the instrument cluster in that it hints back to that Spider layout but the digital speed display is perfectly positioned when driving spiritedly and it requires barely a glance to see the number, so it would really have made sense in RACE MODE that that aspect of the cluster not change....reading the dial (which has relatively small numbers to my maturing eyes) is just not as easy.....

Regarding the Alfetta GT that had only the tach in front of the driver and the Speedo and other gauges in the center stack, we're talking about 120 HP car and although it may have seemed fast at the time, the average Toyota Corolla would walk away from it today...

Reactions: ATXQUAD

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can understand how some owners want to only hear glowing reviews of their new purchase. I don't think it's that as much as how you phrased it. Nothing is really an issue, just more your feeling/comments/criticism--that's great (which is not how your first thread read). But you say 'issues' that these are serious. There is a whole thread for those there is also a dedicated thread for likes and dislikes.

The manufacturers need feedback from customers so that they can focus on running changes and fixes, particularly on a new model. Great, then email them directly. That's the best way--complaining on a forum is fine, but just go to the source will be more effective and direct.

·
Registered
271 Posts
"about preferences"
Well it's already been explained. You are entitled to your opinion, but driving around daily in Race mode on the street having a elec speedo helps period. For the 100th time on the track not as much.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"fast at the time"
oh, I get it
this car is twice as fast so you need two speedometers

my daily driver in 1985 did an 11 second quarter mile, it was kinda straight forward in the old days; when you shifted to second you were breaking the speed limit on in city interstates, shift to 3rd and you were breaking the speed limit anywhere except montana in the day time, shift to 4th was lose your license territory, 5th was maybe go to jail?
it happened kinda fast so I didn't havtime to read numbers

my driving glasses are distance oriented, so numbers up close are a problem anyway
old age thing

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't have my car yet so I can't say much about likes/dislikes. I will say that with todays tech manufactures have the ability to give users more customization options to set up devices/cars/whatever it my be to our liking. It is very frustrating to not have the ability to choose when the ability is there to give us those options.

At this point that would be my biggest ask from Alfa, give us more options to customize our displays and functionality of the tech provided in the car. We should be able to have more choices on what we as individuals want to see on the center display.

Reactions: lockem
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.