Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2017 Giulia Ti for ten months and 12,000 miles with no problems other than a nail in one of my tires. Then this morning as I was headed to work when I pressed the start button, the cluster gave me message the the key fob was not present, but of court the key fob was there. I figured maybe the battery on the key fob had died, so I placed it inside the center console and pressed the start button again. All the screens started flashing on and off and then all the lights went dead. There is no response to the start button at all now. I then replaced the battery on the fob and that did nothing. Then I tried to jump start the car, but turns out when the battery is dead you cannot open the trunk where I keep the jumper cables. Seem like that is a major design flaw.

Anyways, then I get the cables out of my wife's car and jump it. The car makes lots of clicking noises, the brakes pedal lurches and all kinds of error message show up on the console, but the car does not turn over.

I call Alfa Romeo roadside assistance and I get connect to some Chrysler call center where the lady on the other line never heard of an Alfa Romeo before and can't find a record of me owning the car. Wow. This is really messed up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Did or didn't you jump it?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Read the owners manual...there is a procedure for manually releasing the trunk with no power.

As for the issue there was another member here that had the exact symptoms of the spastic pedal and Xmas tree dash. I believe it was a bad battery but can't recall for sure. It was a recent thread in the past two months. Might try searching the forum for it.

Edit: here https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/...transmission-ecm-debacle-2.html#/topics/38520

·
Registered
315 Posts
Certainly sounds like a dead battery. The car should start even if the key fob is dead. The area under the armrest is where you put the key to start the car when the battery on the fob is dead, or when the car won't recognize the key is in the car.

Hopefully you got the car started, but sounds like it's time for a new battery. Was a light left on? Or something plugged in to drain it? Just make you turn off the auto stop/start feature once you get it started.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read the owners manual...there is a procedure for manually releasing the trunk with no power.

As for the issue there was another member here that had the exact symptoms of the spastic pedal and Xmas tree dash. I believe it was a bad battery but can't recall for sure. It was a recent thread in the past two months. Might try searching the forum for it.

Edit: here https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/...transmission-ecm-debacle-2.html#/topics/38520
Thanks for the link. I did read that thread when looking for the issue. However, there seems to be a major difference in my situation in that the car would not start even when I jumped it. If it was only a bad battery, wouldn't the car start with a jump?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Certainly sounds like a dead battery. The car should start even if the key fob is dead. The area under the armrest is where you put the key to start the car when the battery on the fob is dead, or when the car won't recognize the key is in the car.

Hopefully you got the car started, but sounds like it's time for a new battery. Was a light left on? Or something plugged in to drain it? Just make you turn off the auto stop/start feature once you get it started.
Nothing turned on and no devices attached to the car that would drain the battery. Also, I had no symptoms of any impending problems. Prior to the other day, the car started and drove entirely normally. If the battery was weakening over time I would think that I would have some symptoms like the auto start feature failing. That never happened. This is all very weird.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think Alfa should have some early warning alerts that the battery is failing. With all the advanced systems in these cars there’s no way to figure out the battery is under voltage and potentially failing before it actually goes?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to the manual, the only way to manually release (without power to the car) is the emergency button located inside the trunk. The only way to reach that is to actually get into the trunk, perhaps by folding down the seats and crawling into the trunk. But the releases for the seats are also inside the trunk. So only the center section can fold down if you cannot open the trunk. Maybe someone skinny with long arms can reach that button by folding down the center section -- but I certainly cannot.

So no -- the owners manual does not have a procedure for manually releasing the trunk with no power.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What about QV owners without a fold down rear seat? It certainly makes it a dicey proposition to transport unconscious “friends” to desolate destinations if you have to worry about the battery going and not being able to access the trunk... >:)

·
Registered
691 Posts
According to the manual, the only way to manually release (without power to the car) is the emergency button located inside the trunk. The only way to reach that is to actually get into the trunk, perhaps by folding down the seats and crawling into the trunk. But the releases for the seats are also inside the trunk. So only the center section can fold down if you cannot open the trunk. Maybe someone skinny with long arms can reach that button by folding down the center section -- but I certainly cannot.

So no -- the owners manual does not have a procedure for manually releasing the trunk with no power.
Theres been multiple threads about how to do this using a pole I believe, if you can't reach it with your arm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I tried, but the engine would not turn over even with the jump.
When my QV had a dead battery it took the tow truck driver about 20 minutes of sitting around with the two cars connected before she would even consider turning over, so be patience with the car.
Also it takes four starts before the car will start acting normal again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can jump the car in the engine bay - which is a mechanical release. Check out ppgs 155-156 of the manual.
Yup. That's what I did. I had to read the manual to find the negative connector. It is hidden under two covers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When my QV had a dead battery it took the tow truck driver about 20 minutes of sitting around with the two cars connected before she would even consider turning over, so be patience with the car.
Also it takes four starts before the car will start acting normal again.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I will try it again tonight.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Very stupid to not have a mechanical trunk pull.

Reactions: ALFA168

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Call me cynical, but open the passthru, reach in, up and over to the seat release, open the seat back and it's easy to get the button, eh?

·
Registered
279 Posts
It doesn't appear that the positive post under the hood is suitable for a jump start - it really appear as if the idea is to hook the jump pack to the under hood posts, turn it on, and use the powered up circuit to open the trunk to access the battery where a proper jump start (or battery charge) is performed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure if you called the right AR roadside assistance or what the dealer offer, since when i called last week they clearly said its alfa romeo. I called the number from the Mopar AR Iphone app . They sent tow truck immediately and got the software updated.

Also, Private message AlfaRomeoCares with your VIN number.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It doesn't appear that the positive post under the hood is suitable for a jump start - it really appear as if the idea is to hook the jump pack to the under hood posts, turn it on, and use the powered up circuit to open the trunk to access the battery where a proper jump start (or battery charge) is performed.
Try it - it works. I've jumped another car from mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts