Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a few weeks of contemplating going with larger tires or staggered set up I decided to stick with the square set up that my AWD Ti came with and just change the rubber from the P7 all season run flats. Initially I was going to go with the P zeros since I had them on my Cayman and was quite satisfied with the traction and predictability. While on Tirerack I came across the Firstone Indy 500, which piqued my interest and the price was very appealing. Tireacks' reviews for these Ultra High performance Summer Tires was stellar in addition to many other reviews online, so I ordered a set.
$518 delivered with road hazard protection included and a $60 gift card!
Mounted them up yesterday and have racked up 100 miles already.
They are a little noiser than the all seasons and little bumps cause the tire to be slightly jumpy but overall traction is amazing...pulled 1g several times in a few turns with no signs of letting go!
tread wear is rated at 340 which is pretty **** high. Ive been running 34 rear and 33 front.
So a thumbs up for these tires if anyone else is considering a reasonable alternative to the run flats.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Sounds good. Let us know how you like them later.

My Abarth and 4C both came with Pirelli P-Zeros. Not a bad tire, not a stellar tire. They did better on the track than I expected (I tracked both cars), but they're still a street tire. I sold the Abarth before the tires needed replacing. I got 22k miles out of the P-Zeros on the 4C and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sport. As street tires go, I like them better than the P-Zero. Have not tracked them, but they are a street tire.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Bridgestone RE71R is the tire of choice for this car IMHO. It has much better grip than the Stockers while not being expensive and having a 200 Treadwear rating (we call it the autocrossers cheater tire). Hint its not listed in the Alfa cateogory due to speed rating but sizes are available in a 10+ mm wider selection (for QV).

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
what about 245s on the Ti Q4???

has anybody run the numbers about putting 4X 245 Firestone Indy 500s on the sport 19 inch rims? Curious about overall circumference and whether they'll clear the wheel wells without a stagger adjust.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
has anybody run the numbers about putting 4X 245 Firestone Indy 500s on the sport 19 inch rims? Curious about overall circumference and whether they'll clear the wheel wells without a stagger adjust.

Thanks!
They will fit; you have 2 options
1) 245/35/19 which will increase the gap in the wheel well by less than 1/4 inch
2) 245/35/19 which will decrease the clearance by almost a half inch.
I opted for 225 to maintain same ride height.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,903 Posts

Thanks!
Although 245s will fit on a 8inch wide rim, the guy below recommends using a 9inch rim for best handling.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

He doesn't discuss the consequences of the extra unsprung weight though.

My P.O.R. is to use the original set of 19x8s with 245 winter tires and Alfa or aftermarket 19x9s with 245 all season tires (summer use, it SNOWED today, btw).

·
Registered
805 Posts
I recently got a set of the 225 Indy 500's is well. Went with the stock tire size due to wanting to retain my 8 inch rims and making sure that dynamic handling of the unsprung weight didn't adversely affect the car.

Extremely pleased! Pulled 1.01 gs in a corner yesterday.

slightly, ever so slightly, noisier. Razor fast steering response and they look Bitchin, too.

Reactions: Giovanni Dicesare

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,903 Posts
Although 245s will fit on a 8inch wide rim, the guy below recommends using a 9inch rim for best handling.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

He doesn't discuss the consequences of the extra unsprung weight though.

My P.O.R. is to use the original set of 19x8s with 245 winter tires and Alfa or aftermarket 19x9s with 245 all season tires (summer use, it SNOWED today, btw).
After a bit more research I might go with 245 40R19 on 19x8.5 Tecnicos for the summer setup. These rims are reportedly 4-5 pounds lighter (each) than the 19x8 5 holes. 245 40R19 is apparently about 1 pound heavier than 255 35R19 for the same model tire (not sure why). The 255s will just barely fit on 8.5 inch rims though. One plus with 245 40R19 is that you get a little more sidewall and reduced flatting risk and/or the ability to run a lower tire pressure as a result. It is probably all splitting hairs though. A minus with 245 40R19 is the increase in diameter throwing off the odometer and speedometer. 255 35R19 is so close to the same diameter as 225 40R19 that they can be used in a staggered setup on a Q4 (this apparently is standard in Europe).

The offset of the 19x8.5 inch Tecnicos is different from the 5 holes, even after adjusting for the rim width. I don't know if they will fit properly or if spacers would be required. The Tecnicos are about twice the price of the 5 hole rims (ouch!).

The Firestone Indy 500s are a "heavy" tire compared to Michelin/Bridgestone, coming in at 2-3 pounds per tire heavier.

·
Registered
805 Posts
thanks for the tip! I'm super happy too.

I think the wife will be happy to when she gets the visa card. I was kind of in the doghouse over the surprise purchase. ��

Reactions: Giovanni Dicesare

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed! I switched over from the stock runflats (mine were bridgestones though, I think, I could be wrong though) and I am very happy with these Indy 500's

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a pair of dark 5-hole 19 x 9s to take my 2018 Giulia Ti Sport/Performance from square to staggered. I bought a pair of Firestone Indy 500 255/35/19 for the rear. Loving these tires, they seem to offer great grip, and I don’t notice more noise!

By the way, I’ll be selling the (2) OE dark 5-hole 19 x 8 wheels if anybody’s looking. Will place an ad here soon. Located in Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.