Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost a year of debating what to go with for our family SUV, we finally decided to go with this Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. Obviously it is a night and day difference than driving the QV, it literally drives like a truck, but in its own way it does feel special. Can't wait for the break in period to be over and take it on some fun offroad trails! I get the styling is not for everyone, but wanted something more rugged hence why we did not entertain a Stelvio.

Here is a quick video I have made introducing it to the family!

Enjoy!

Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
Better an SUV that's boxy and trucky than another crossover 馃憤馃徎

Reactions: Buba1

Registered
2020 Giulia
Isn鈥檛 the 4-runner one of the last of the body on frame SUVs? Proper off-road rig there, especially if built right; and way more comfortable than a Jeep.

Reactions: Buba1

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better an SUV that's boxy and trucky than another crossover 馃憤馃徎
Agreed, that's what drew me to this in the first place.

Isn鈥檛 the 4-runner one of the last of the body on frame SUVs? Proper off-road rig there, especially if built right; and way more comfortable than a Jeep.
Yes, it's been like that since the early days. I read reviews stating that it is a lot more comfortable on and off the road than a Jeep, and the aftermarket world for these is huge, endless options.

Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
Am I the only person who pronounces TRD "turd"?

Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
Reactions: lockem

Registered

Registered
Well my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT is clearly a slut...
That problem has been solved. That trim level is now called Big Horn.

Registered

Registered
Turd... lol you guys have a point!
Not implying that it is descriptive, but it sticks in my head.
Out here in the eastern Sierra Nevada (including California and Nevada) where a truck is pretty much mandatory*, it seems that 50% of all pickup trucks are Dodge/RAM. I see Toyotas from time to time but not a lot of them.

* You don't think those horses in my Avatar got ridden/driven to location do you? I can't get appliances delivered, nor a tow truck to show up in a timely fashion.

Registered
2020 Giulia
Not implying that it is descriptive, but it sticks in my head.
Out here in the eastern Sierra Nevada (including California and Nevada) where a truck is pretty much mandatory*, it seems that 50% of all pickup trucks are Dodge/RAM. I see Toyotas from time to time but not a lot of them.

* You don't think those horses in my Avatar got ridden/driven to location do you? I can't get appliances delivered, nor a tow truck to show up in a timely fashion.
You think that is because Toyota only makes a mid size and a half ton? If you're towing you need the diesel and the Cummings Rams hold their value like crazy and last forever... And I believe they sponsor the NFR so you need one to be a proper cowboy.

If I was looking for a half ton, I'd buy a Tundra in a heartbeat... But for towing a horse trailer or toys.... Ram 2500 or 3500 all day.

Registered
You think that is because Toyota only makes a mid size and a half ton? If you're towing you need the diesel and the Cummings Rams hold their value like crazy and last forever... And I believe they sponsor the NFR so you need one to be a proper cowboy.

If I was looking for a half ton, I'd buy a Tundra in a heartbeat... But for towing a horse trailer or toys.... Ram 2500 or 3500 all day.
I do not know. I do know that the USA Diesel engine manufacturer is called "Cummins". I have been told that when working under a substantial load (towing or truck camper), the fuel economy of the Cummins is way higher than the V8 offerings. I have gotten anywhere from 12 to 16 MPG with my truck camper on, driving up and down I5. Wind speed and direction causes the wide range.

The ISB5.9 is pretty indestructible, but as delivered on MY2000 and MY2001 the performance is less than impressive and less than advertised. The newer engines make close to twice the rated power of my engine and probably more than twice the actual output of my engine.

I have not looked at the Toyota offerings for comparison.

Registered
2020 Giulia
I do not know. I do know that the USA Diesel engine manufacturer is called "Cummins". I have been told that when working under a substantial load (towing or truck camper), the fuel economy of the Cummins is way higher than the V8 offerings. I have gotten anywhere from 12 to 16 MPG with my truck camper on, driving up and down I5. Wind speed and direction causes the wide range.

The ISB5.9 is pretty indestructible, but as delivered on MY2000 and MY2001 the performance is less than impressive and less than advertised. The newer engines make close to twice the rated power of my engine and probably more than twice the actual output of my engine.

I have not looked at the Toyota offerings for comparison.

Cummins.... Doh! Brainfart. 馃槅

I just know in the limited towing that I've done... There is a huge jump in going to a 3/4 from a full ton. Not just in engine power, but in braking and stability which is way more important.

Registered
Cummins.... Doh! Brainfart. 馃槅

I just know in the limited towing that I've done... There is a huge jump in going to a 3/4 from a full ton. Not just in engine power, but in braking and stability which is way more important.
For MY2000 Dodge/Cummins you get hydraulic assist power brakes. They use the pressure from the power steering pump. Mine gave inconsistent pedal feel until the power steering failed and was replaced. Also for MY2000 the Dodge/Cummins comes with 1 ton truck rated components, in order to gain the strength needed to cope with diesel engine torque. I think this is no longer true for the current offerings. I ordered my truck without a rear antisway bar, so I could put a stiffer after market bar on. It made a huge difference in stability with a load on the truck.

I also installed a Cummins exhaust brake (now standard with the Cummins engine). I have 120,000 miles on the original brakes with plenty of pad left.

Beware the diesel pickup though, the engine, transmission and differentials are very heavy so that weight capacities are often much less than you would think.

Registered
For MY2000 Dodge/Cummins you get hydraulic assist power brakes. They use the pressure from the power steering pump. Mine gave inconsistent pedal feel until the power steering failed and was replaced. Also for MY2000 the Dodge/Cummins comes with 1 ton truck rated components, in order to gain the strength needed to cope with diesel engine torque. I think this is no longer true for the current offerings. I ordered my truck without a rear antisway bar, so I could put a stiffer after market bar on. It made a huge difference in stability with a load on the truck.

I also installed a Cummins exhaust brake (now standard with the Cummins engine). I have 120,000 miles on the original brakes with plenty of pad left.

Beware the diesel pickup though, the engine, transmission and differentials are very heavy so that weight capacities are often much less than you would think.
Time for a 2021 or 2022?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts