Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - i thought i'd drop this one in here as this has been a problem for about 4 weeks.
Picked up my 17' Plate 2.2 JDTM Super in April this year and its been perfect - amazing infact!
Then out of the blue, i started have random FCW error saying "Check FCW" on the dash - followed swiftly by Check Lights, Check Parking Lights, Check Rear Lights ...

After a few days, this would go away and all would be well - then back again - after a carwash, cold weather or something but it seemed still pretty random as it happened mid drive on a sunny, normal day.

Finally decided enough was enough and took it into my local Alfa Dealership and for £120 did a diagnostic and checked the wiring etc.

They found a leaf and cobweb in the glass mounted sensor and a little dust/debris around the Grille mounted radar but nothing too serious, except 3x C-codes which was an error on the private can bus between the glass and grille - they thought it could be something odd, so they put a new battery on my car and flushed the codes out - took it for a drive - no errors. Put my battery back in (after a 6 hour charge) showing 100% and after 20-30s, they checked the battery again and it was 75% and the C-codes had triggered almost to the second that the 11.9V was registered instead of 12.0V.

They have ordered me a new battery and are about 90% convinced it was the source of all the problems.

anyone else have a similar story or more info to add?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,505 Posts
yes, it's 99% the battery in most cases.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes. As I've posted before, I fail to understand why Alfa Romeo can't build the Giulia so it has an adequate charging system. AR explains saying it's running so many things that are electric draws. I call BS. AR needs to recall every Giulia (and Stelvio if they suffer the same malady) and upgrade the electric charging system from the apparant tinker toy one currently provided. Shameful! How about it #@alfacares, got anything meaningful to say????????

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,505 Posts
Yes. As I've posted before, I fail to understand why Alfa Romeo can't build the Giulia so it has an adequate charging system. AR explains saying it's running so many things that are electric draws. I call BS. AR needs to recall every Giulia (and Stelvio if they suffer the same malady) and upgrade the electric charging system from the apparant tinker toy one currently provided. Shameful! How about it #@alfacares, got anything meaningful to say????????
@AlfaRomeoCares The people are sick and tired of the electrical gremlins that appear to be the root cause of about 90% of the issues. New vehicles rolling off the lot have issues, and it's usually the battery or state of charge. This is stupid.

Reactions: AbarthEsq

·
Registered
260 Posts
@AlfaRomeoCares The people are sick and tired of the electrical gremlins that appear to be the root cause of about 90% of the issues. New vehicles rolling off the lot have issues, and it's usually the battery or state of charge. This is stupid.
I'm lucky that my dealer is only 10 minutes from my home and they so far are very good but, for example, I'm driving to South Carolina next week and will take our Toyota rather then the Alfa due to concerns about these potential issues. As much as I really enjoy driving the car and it is hard to find anything comparable driving wise I may sell it and buy something else. Perhaps even a pick up truck like I did after I wore out my Saab 9000T as that way I avoided any comparisons.

My analogy is: Having an Alfa Romeo is like having a beautiful significant other who is so difficult that it becomes not worth having them around anymore. :cry:

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,505 Posts
I'm lucky that my dealer is only 10 minutes from my home and they so far are very good but, for example, I'm driving to South Carolina next week and will take our Toyota rather then the Alfa due to concerns about these potential issues. As much as I really enjoy driving the car and it is hard to find anything comparable driving wise I may sell it and buy something else. Perhaps even a pick up truck like I did after I wore out my Saab 9000T as that way I avoided any comparisons.

My analogy is: Having an Alfa Romeo is like having a beautiful significant other who is so difficult that it becomes not worth having them around anymore. :cry:
I've taken many road trips in the Giulia, and have had zero issues. MN to FL and back.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I understand but would rather not take a chance when I have the reliability master of a Toyota in the driveway as well. I'd rather be driving the Giulia but...... Maybe I'm getting more cautious as I get quite close to my 70's plus I have a scheduled court appearance for a client on the day after the Thanksgiving weekend and would want to have to try and change that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So an update - since it went in and had a 'recharge' of my original OEM battery (coming up 4 years 9 months now) the errors have not returned - but i have noticed a gentle whine from my blower - so i wonder if the lack of draw (available draw) is now making my blower motor whine instead of triggering FCW errors - either way it is in tomorrow for a new battery (OEM Standard AGM) and a complete reset (£260 all in) so will report back what happens next - god i love my Giulia but i have owned it since April this year and this is the first major 'fault' that it's developed. I am hoping this is the only one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok - so I have yet more updates!!! Car went back in 2 days ago for the battery as the one they ordered (dealer) was the wrong one - refitted, cleared codes and then a bunch of DTC's flooded in - about 44 pages of them - most of them stored errors but a few active ones - 1x BCM and 6x ACC Active codes pointing to FCW warning, exterior lights, brake lights, - just everything!

After 2 hours of investigation starting as to why 1x LED assembly on my number plate was not functioning found not 1 - but 5 broken wires on the left hand side loom that runs down the boot arm into the car body. 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They replaced 4x and soldering and shielded 1x - then wrapped it up properly and tucked it into the cable guide. - Warning to all - this was a manufacturing error and something that was slowly abrasing everytime the boot was opened and shut - which eventually led to the the wires breaking and tripping the entire FCW and ACC system.
Automotive lighting Eyewear Automotive design Audio equipment Bag

Would love to hear everyone's feedback - even if its just to feel better or hear of stories / help that this may give to others!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand but would rather not take a chance when I have the reliability master of a Toyota in the driveway as well. I'd rather be driving the Giulia but...... Maybe I'm getting more cautious as I get quite close to my 70's plus I have a scheduled court appearance for a client on the day after the Thanksgiving weekend and would want to have to try and change that.
Update below

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,923 Posts
I have the private CAN bus error problem. The error code can be cleared but the fault re-occurs within minutes. Replacing the battery fixes nothing.

Anybody else have such issues? I am pretty suspicious that some cable some where is faulty. This issue is figuring out what cable without ripping the car completely apart.

Curious that a cable in the trunk would cause problems in the front half of the car.
The only clue I have regarding where to look is the curiously low voltage being supplied to the cross traffic sensors. The sensors work well, but report nearly 1 volt less than the battery or other devices in the car. I have double checked this low voltage with a meter and it is real.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the private CAN bus error problem. The error code can be cleared but the fault re-occurs within minutes. Replacing the battery fixes nothing.

Anybody else have such issues? I am pretty suspicious that some cable some where is faulty. This issue is figuring out what cable without ripping the car completely apart.

Curious that a cable in the trunk would cause problems in the front half of the car.
The only clue I have regarding where to look is the curiously low voltage being supplied to the cross traffic sensors. The sensors work well, but report nearly 1 volt less than the battery or other devices in the car. I have double checked this low voltage with a meter and it is real.

Any ideas?
Check the wiring loom from the tail lights in the boot (trunK) down the left hand side of the car - you will need to remove the lining - that was where my break was and it was affecting the FCW and lights - the drop in voltage could be because you have a wire draining to earth constantly...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts