Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been posted before but I came across this and think it's the best write-up I've read (despite the misstatement about lack of rear fold down seats). Lot of great lines, especially in the last couple paragraphs, like this:

More advice: It’s easy enough to talk yourself out of the Alfa, even without listening to a dozen other people who’ll be determined to talk you out of it. Relatives, friends, co-workers: They’ll all have an opinion on Alfa Romeo, or Italian cars, and those opinions may not be favorable or particularly well-informed. Remember that these friends and acquaintances drive Toyotas...or SUVs...or Toyota SUVs. There’s a reason you’re not like them.​

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/18...-ti-review-a-flawed-hero-still-sparks-worship

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great enthusiastic review, also because he does not shy away to describe the negatives as well (although he forgot to mention the crap run flat tires), and yeah, not sure how he missed the fold down seats, maybe he did not look hard enough at the back seat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
it is a little unusual to have the seat releases in the trunk (at least i've never had another car that did it that way), so let's forgive him. I love this review.

·
Registered
328 Posts
From the article.. "The other head-scratcher is that there’s no way to turn off either traction or stability control on the four-cylinder Giulia. (You can shut it off on the Quadrifoglio). We performed a little trick—sorry, our lips are sealed—to disable stability control and free the Alfa for some on-track winter frolicking."

If this is the truth I'm really itching to know that trick because it sounds different from the other trick mentioned that leaves the car in N mode (though that one seems like few if any have been able to repeat).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Great review.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Fantastic review, I read this before getting mine.

One minor issue: it's clear this guy has not been in the majority of Alfa repair shops, where you have to basically tell the used Dodge (I mean new Alfa dealer) what is wrong and how to fix it, only to get a blank stare in return and be told something nonsensical.

·
Registered
386 Posts
you have got to be kidding me !!!

forum swear filter has censored the word d-a-m-n (yet i can say Trump freely?)

sorry guys forum software alters the URL

edit you can link to it if you scroll down this article

https://www.caranddriver.com/alfa-romeo/giulia

Thank f*** you didn’t say c*** then Papa!

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
647 Posts
Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
105 Posts
BMW has the rear seat fold downs in the trunks on 3 series cars...
Yep, my 1 series coup has them there also.

The thing I found odd was that he implied that the Lusso package precluded one from having steering wheel shift levers. This is clearly not the case in the US, as you just have to order the performance package as well. In fact, there is a picture in the story of a car with the Lusso interior and paddle shifters.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Consumer Reports

I had to chuckle with the consumer reports article. I have two cars in the top ten worst. Mini Cooper and AR didn't seem to differentiate on models. I have had little to no problems on my 6 year old Mini and AR only have for a week so clearly I am not buying on Consumer reports. As far as impact on resale value although that could hurt the QV (which we have no intentions of selling before many many years if not ever) a dip in resale will be great when I want to replace the MINI with a nice USED Stelvio or Guilia Ti Sport. Win Win as another extra car.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Apologies if this has been posted before but I came across this and think it's the best write-up I've read (despite the misstatement about lack of rear fold down seats). Lot of great lines, especially in the last couple paragraphs, like this:

More advice: It’s easy enough to talk yourself out of the Alfa, even without listening to a dozen other people who’ll be determined to talk you out of it. Relatives, friends, co-workers: They’ll all have an opinion on Alfa Romeo, or Italian cars, and those opinions may not be favorable or particularly well-informed. Remember that these friends and acquaintances drive Toyotas...or SUVs...or Toyota SUVs. There’s a reason you’re not like them.​

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/18...-ti-review-a-flawed-hero-still-sparks-worship
I enjoyed that article. I have two items of note that I'd like to bring up:

1. What does this mean "11:8:1 steering ratio". Surely the ratio should have a single colon, like 11:8.1, or 11.8:1. Any idea what the correct ratio may be?

2. Already mentioned by Nik here, but I didn't see any comment about how to do this "We performed a little trick—sorry, our lips are sealed—to disable stability control and free the Alfa for some on-track winter frolicking." Does anyone know what the little trick may be?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts