Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to a guy yesterday who took his quad up to 155mph on a smooth, deserted country highway on Sunday morning.

Smooth sailing, wasn't even in 8th gear yet. This engine is incredible. :wink2:

·
Vendor
619 Posts
172MPH With plenty still left, private, inactive Runway.

Very smooth, very planted.

Reactions: larrysing

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
130mph Day 1 of owner in December near Washington DC on stock tires. Didn't actually know we were going that fast before anyone says anything haha. We hit the gas pedal to overtake and it was like warp speed.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
A video was posted of a guy getting 290kmh (181mph) out of his QV on the autobahn was posted a while back. It ran up to that speed surprisingly quickly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
295kmh as I live in Germany.
Very nice feeling still in this speedrange.

For some reason all automatik QVs are limited to 302kmh but there is an update coming according to alfa (and some guy has it already installed as he could get 310kmh on the speedo (which is only 2kmh of the GPS speed still at this speed range))

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Let's be responsible....we all love speed. When the deer runs out, or the senior turns into traffic....what happens next can not be reversed...it simply is not worth opening these cars up on public roads. We all enjoy a sprint on the on and off ramps. Please take a moment and read this article in Sports Car Market before posting speeds.. it could change your mind, or at least make you more cautious about sharing tales of speed.

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/columns/legal-files/its-open-season-on-over-posters

SCCA and clubs sponsor events at tracks...racing on public streets is irresponsible and dangerous for all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reactions: larrysing

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
My point was, in a sarcastic way, that we all think we are God's gift to driving/racing until a wreck happens.......

I will drive my QV as fast as I possibly can (when it finally arrives), but only in a controlled environment like a track, not the US highways......

·
Registered
315 Posts
My point was, in a sarcastic way, that we all think we are God's gift to driving/racing until a wreck happens.......

I will drive my QV as fast as I possibly can (when it finally arrives), but only in a controlled environment like a track, not the US highways......
yes, reality checks are humbling.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Was a tie actually. I came up behind him and he floored it...so did I. We went about two miles with me right on his tail. He couldn?t pull away and I couldn?t pass him. Not bad considering his ride is 640hp
If I read this correctly you were drafting him to keep up so it sounds to me like he won.

and yes, things can go really wrong really fast on a public highway at these kinds of speeds. Other drivers going the speed limit on USA highways do not expect to encounter a vehicle with a closing speed of 100MPH. The Autobahn has rules to make such high differential speeds "safe-r", as well as German drivers (especially the "other" drivers) having more training than USA drivers.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

Or as my very first instructor at Skip Barber told me once...."half way into the turn you realize your not as good as you thought you were":grin2:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Everyone that?s spinning a cautionary tale is of course correct. Just like when mother said don?t run with scissors. She was right, we knew she was right and she knew that we knew she was right.

Same with all of us here in this thread. Some of us feel the need to say it, some don?t.

But keep stating the obvious if you feel you must.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
didn't I read about someones fair fast test drives of a 4C & QV recently?

OK, maybe not going as fast some guy with a protege used to infer when he was wondering if an Alfa would be up to his high speed street standards.

pots and kettles aside, anyone who drives faster than me on a public road is an A....le, and although I pass with caution, care, consideration, and courtesy , I'm guessing those I pass are more likely to call me an A...le than a CCCC driver

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
There's a time and a place for everything. Putting others at risk is tres uncool. If we could only learn from our mistakes before we make them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If I read this correctly you were drafting him to keep up so it sounds to me like he won.
On his bumper figuratively speaking, not literally. I was in the next lane but level with his bumper. So the Quad was definitely able to keep up on its own merits...far enough away not to benefit from reduced air resistance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts