Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Coming from the perspective of a millennial, I have not noticed any Alfa marketing on any platforms. Unless you follow an Alfa page on Instagram, you will not see any adverts there. I have not seen a single commercial on Youtube either, a platform awash with commercials from Audi Volvo etc. Alfa has no presence at local SoCal car events (dealers would bring cars if they gave a damn). No driving events like the ones BMW and Lexus host annually; these are events that get massive attendance. No retail presence in high end malls such as Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza, locations where Tesla Porsche and Lexus all have a presence.

It's unfortunate because the Giulia/Stelvio are pretty good cars and are easily class leading in driving dynamics and have a distinctive and bold design language. I saw a Stelvio Ti Sport yesterday which was so much more attractive than your average Costco crawling X3. The cars have some shortcomings but there is potential.

Basically, FCA/Stellantis execs clearly give zero f*cks about the brand's success. A company this large definitely has the budget to invest in marketing, improving dealerships and sales experience, reliability, quality control, etc. They just choose not to.
So, for me, an elder Millenial ('84), who does follow AR and goes to dealer websites, I DO see a lot of AR social medial advertising (IG, banner ads, etc). However, I agree, if I was not on AR websites, would I have ads trying to entice me to jump ship? Not sure. A lot of other brands do a better job at trying to get my attention.

I do also live in a popular AR area (Long Island) where we have 3 dealers. I see Stelvios daily and Giulias now and again. I am lucky that our biggest dealer (Westbury) has taken the opportunity to inject AR into one of our high-end malls, similar to other brands. Currently, they have a Stelvio Veloce and a Giulia Ti Sport Nero inside the mall for me to drool over.

Point being, if dealers step up they can help, but yes, it is on the company to do the heavy lifting for advertising.

Someone said that I have said this a dozen of times and here we go again. I think that there is a difference between Alfa Romeo and BMW, Lexus (and AUDI and Mercedes Benz). Alfa Romeo is designed, produced and sold for Alfisti. Alfa Romeo has never had any massive marketing, or even any marketing at all, in its 110 years. The events Alfa Romeo does are Alfisti events and there is important presence on some very specific and special events like the Concorso Italiano in Monterrey, CA. That is why Alfa Romeo was, is and will be, at its best, a 200,000 cars/yr globally and Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz are 1.8 - 2.3M/cars globally. Alfa Romeo was, is and will be a 10% Niche Brand, compared with those German and perhaps Japanese brands. I think that is the Alfa Romeo model/approach. That is the "marketing level" Alfa Romeo has had for a Century. In addition to that, I think there is zero problems with Reliability, Quality Control, etc. I agree that dealerships capability and customer service must be improved.

I hope you can Google Translate the texts in this video below. It explains, much better, what I am trying to say above. "... It never gives up. And a true Alfista has not stopped believing in it..."

Click Here.
I agree 100% that AR is not BMW, etc. That being said, we would all like BMW level of dealer presence/ability/availability.

I think the big issue is margins. AR can be a niche brand, as long as the margins are big enough to be profitable/sustainable. The cost to run a car company is high, and the cost to entice dealers to buy inventory is high. So, the cars have to have high enough margins to make sense to still exist. That is the problem we face for AR's future.

Are they self-funding, or do they merely sap Stellantis for funding for the sake of nostalgia?

If they are a cost, and not a profit-center, Stellantis may let AR fade into oblivion (or try to sell it).

Before you say, they have never made money, that isn't a good thing. Being owned by the Italian government (because they can't allow workers to lose jobs so they just prop up a failing business) was not a good thing. Good that they survived, bad to do it under austerity. Alitalia just disappeared after the same situation and decades of failure. The company could have been so much more if it was successful for most of it's history. It also led to Fiat buying the company and creating FWD cars. And today, we fear the company will disappear again due to being unsuccessful financially.

Reactions: kevinpg

·
Registered
705 Posts
You guys should be careful what you wish for ....the last thing I want is to see a hundred other Alfa Romeos when I'm out driving mine..
Agreed. I used to give other drivers whip-lash in our Teslas, now they are like Civics. Every few cars is a Tesla. But, at the same time, we need them to be successful enough to not go out of business or become forgotten and limp along (think Fiat currently).

Reactions: kevinpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
Someone said that I have said this a dozen of times and here we go again. I think that there is a difference between Alfa Romeo and BMW, Lexus (and AUDI and Mercedes Benz). Alfa Romeo is designed, produced and sold for Alfisti. Alfa Romeo has never had any massive marketing, or even any marketing at all, in its 110 years. The events Alfa Romeo does are Alfisti events and there is important presence on some very specific and special events like the Concorso Italiano in Monterrey, CA. That is why Alfa Romeo was, is and will be, at its best, a 200,000 cars/yr globally and Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz are 1.8 - 2.3M/cars globally. Alfa Romeo was, is and will be a 10% Niche Brand, compared with those German and perhaps Japanese brands. I think that is the Alfa Romeo model/approach. That is the "marketing level" Alfa Romeo has had for a Century. In addition to that, I think there is zero problems with Reliability, Quality Control, etc. I agree that dealerships capability and customer service must be improved.

I hope you can Google Translate the texts in this video below. It explains, much better, what I am trying to say above. "... It never gives up. And a true Alfista has not stopped believing in it..."

Click Here.
I see your point but I think you're rationalizing the shortcomings of the brand. I do not want Alfa to become as common and watered down as BMW and Mercedes have become, but Alfa can easily do some things to improve their brand image, sales, and overall outlook of the company if they had proper management.

Brands like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, and even Maserati can use the "niche" "boutique" and "exclusivity" excuse because they are in a price class of their own and generally sell everything they make, but Alfa cannot use this excuse. They are simply mismanaged and can't move cars off the lot. Even in the current market I was able to get a 12.7% discount on a new Giulia this past June. There's no way to spin that as a positive thing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I see your point but I think you're rationalizing the shortcomings of the brand. I do not want Alfa to become as common and watered down as BMW and Mercedes have become, but Alfa can easily do some things to improve their brand image, sales, and overall outlook of the company if they had proper management.

Brands like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, and even Maserati can use the "niche" "boutique" and "exclusivity" excuse because they are in a price class of their own and generally sell everything they make, but Alfa cannot use this excuse. They are simply mismanaged and can't move cars off the lot. Even in the current market I was able to get a 12.7% discount on a new Giulia this past June. There's no way to spin that as a positive thing.

My opinion disagrees. Alfa Romeo isn't focused on those things in a way to create a customer experience. The brand is more about performance and exclusivity. They started with a number 7:37 and beat it by 5 seconds building a sedan for the first time in 20 years.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My opinion disagrees. Alfa Romeo isn't focused on those things in a way to create a customer experience. The brand is more about performance and exclusivity. They started with a number 7:37 and beat it by 5 seconds building a sedan for the first time in 20 years.
"Customer experience," "exclusivity."

Feels like 75% of their dealers were former Dodge showrooms. Many of their salespeople were plucked from the FCA parts bin. Even Larry Dominique agrees they have to improve on customer experience.

The reality doesn't match what you're claiming.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,747 Posts
I suspect the dealer nearest to me wouldn't survive if not for FCA/Stellantis employees and their families purchasing vehicles with their company discount.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
How do we know the new products won't be re-badged Peugeots?

• Wow
Reactions: C.Q4 and hawkeye_a

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
My dealer makes about 50 bucks when I buy a car from them..... so I'm not so sure that's what's keeping your dealer afloat... 😁
Something is, and I'm guessing it isn't subsidies or tax rebates. Maybe employee discount sales yield them more than $50.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Are they really that bad.
Yes. Every delivery except the first has been a disaster, and all service is at a Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram dealership miles away.

I suspect many of the Giulias and Stelvios I see are corporate lease cars that employees order on line and have serviced at a company facility.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,250 Posts
"Customer experience," "exclusivity."

Feels like 75% of their dealers were former Dodge showrooms. Many of their salespeople were plucked from the FCA parts bin. Even Larry Dominique agrees they have to improve on customer experience.

The reality doesn't match what you're claiming.
Personally(and i realize this might just be me)......I really don't care about how expensive the coffee machine is at the dealer, nor the material of the seats/couch, nor if the salesman is wearing a suit.
FWIW, i want courteous, friendly, competent, and no-BS service. And i dont really care if i get instant-coffee and a fold-out chair to sit on.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Personally(and i realize this might just be me)......I really don't care about how expensive the coffee machine is at the dealer, nor the material of the seats/couch, nor if the salesman is wearing a suit.
FWIW, i want courteous, friendly, competent, and no-BS service. And i dont really care if i get instant-coffee and a fold-out chair to sit on.
It's not just you...and I know this may not be a popular opinion but I think some people expect too much.. the non QV cars are not high end vehicles... ..Hell, half the Ram trucks and most Jeeps cost more, yet some people expect to be treated like they bought a Bugatti .

Expecting to be treated like a prince when you spent 45k on a car is a bit much. QV guys have a case as those are "boutique " cars and are not cheap..but the rest need a reality check.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
It's in Italian but you will get it. You just see this video and try to understand what it says and you will certainty get why Alfa Romeo is here to stay, even if Stellantis fails or get stupid with Alfa Romeo.

",,, we are Alfisti. Forza Italia ...."

Click Here.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It's not just you...and I know this may not be a popular opinion but I think some people expect too much.. the non QV cars are not high end vehicles... ..Hell, half the Ram trucks and most Jeeps cost more, yet some people expect to be treated like they bought a Bugatti .

Expecting to be treated like a prince when you spent 45k on a car is a bit much. QV guys have a case as those are "boutique " cars and are not cheap..but the rest need a reality check.
I've spent 17 years going to Subaru dealerships (plus Acura and Tesla). So, I do not need an espresso or for a loaner to be dropped off my house (although that could be nice haha), but I do expect the showroom/service area to be clean, comfortable (I usually wait for oil changes, etc) and the personnel (dealer, reception, techs) to be professional and capable. I don't want to feel like the dealer is a snake/unreliable, the receptionists are distracted/unprofessional and the techs are from Jiffy Lube (no offense).

I often bypass my local dealer and drive an hour for better service/experience. Again, not asking for perks or anything, just reliable and professional service.

For QV guys, yes, they should get some perks, but then again I know Corvette owners don't get much from their local Chevy.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts

Good perspective.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts

Facts. Even a QV cost same as my f-150 platinum. These are not exotics. They are not high end. Anyone can buy theses cars. Expecting car washes and details after getting a TSB update is comical.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts