Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Giulia Spider Veloce, 2019 Stelvio
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the folowing overflow of frustration expressed in this missive. I love my Alfas, my Alfaholic friends, and I'm proud to be passing on part of Alfa history.

Living in an alternative universe, the marketing wizzards at Stellantis, trying to bring back a name to the USA that was never strong to begin with, still don't get it.
Point 1 -
Outside of the USA, Alfa Romeo, especially in Western Europe still has some cachet as a prestigious brand. Inside the USA (without a presence for almost 2 generations) it is basically unknown and viewed by the dealers as well as the potential buyers as a European version of Japanese and Korean cars. Not even considered competative in style and performance with Chevrolet, Camaro, Mustang, Cadillac, or BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Volvo.
Point 2 -
California, as a state, is the 5th largest economy in the world and the largest prestigeous auto market in the world.
More Porches are sold in California than any country in the world with the exception of China. They have the "Porsche Experience" for owners with their own track in CarsonSo. Cal.
The Alfa Romeo Owners Club in So. Ca. (AROSC) has been offering an "Alfa Romeo Driving Experience" since 1972 and, as a Not For Profit organization, has had participation from all marques, including Porsche (& R Gruppe), Miata's, Mustangs, Camaro's, BMW's, Saab, VW's, Ferrari's, etc., etc. We have yet to hear a word from a Stellantis/Alfa Romeo marketing manager.
As a matter of fact, we haven't found or have been able to communicate with any managers supposedly with responsiblity that have any authority. Management by Bossism (Theory X that was debunked back in the 1960's)
Point 3 -
Larry Dominique comes to California and interviews with Jay Leno, but has yet to contact the Petersen. Automotive Museum (considered one of the most important automotive museums in the world).
Appoximately 250,000 visitors (mostly autoholics) expected attendance for 2022. 15,000 students including tech schools receive educational tours, usually around 20 major corporated events and a plethora of international automotive articles and streaming virtual presentations. Yet not one contact by a responsible Stellantis manager with authority
The current exhibit featuring Pininfarina design has one 1938 Alfa Romeo 6C2300 Coupe. Vice President of the Petersen and AROSC member, David Sydorick's1937 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Touring Berlinetta won the Coppa d'Oro Villa d'Este. No one from Stellantis.
I admit that I was invited to a gathering in Carmel the evening before Concorso and that Larry Dominique was going to be there. Unfortunately I injured my knee the day before and was just back from emergency. Managed to be interviewed at Concorso the next day (along with my crutches) by CARSTV for their cable show - NO ONE FROM STELLANTIS???
Not a Stellantis representative seemed to appear at the Concorso Italiano during Monterey Historic Week.
Point 4 -
Just adding insult to injury Stellantis inept marketing continues to fail in the return of Alfa Romeo to the USA.
They have a winning car, a version of which could be available to an average buyer AND IT'S NOT AVAILABLE IN AMERICAN SHOW ROOMS.
Minute by minute timely articles from Stellantis Alfa Communication about the losing effort in Formula 1 - not a word about their victories at IMSA.
This is an old car and it probably had to be put back in production and homologies, but IT IS A WINNER - duh.
Making History: Alfa Romeo’s Track to Pilot Challenge Victory | IMSA
A great design, put it on a competative EV platform for the immediate future and chase the Rice Rockets out of town.
Point 5 -
Have been going around to local So Cal dealers to offer (free) welcome packages to new buyers and to offer location events, historic training for sales managers and salepeople and supplement support offered by the National Alfa Owners Club. Other than a few events, when we bring knowledge and history to the dealers, has anyone of them contacted local press, emailed and invited recent buyers and other marketing/imaging opportunities. Among our offers are a free (lunchtime at the track) lead and follow laps in their cars and passenger rides in our track cars. "An Alfa Experience".
One of the very successful (?depending on what is considered successful - long term) has large TV's in the show room that are showing a variety of current sporting events. I offered them a copy of "Victory by Design - Alfa Romeo" which shows actual historic legends being driven on location by Alain de Cadenet, and "Rendevous" an Alfa romp at speed through the streets of Paris in the morning to pick up a date and was advised that the customers want to watch sports.
Excuse me - they can do that at home. In a dealership sell your brand.
I am still waiting for a sales manager to invite me to the weekly sales meeting he told me about.

Point 6 -
I had over 50 years in the garment industry. All extemely high volume, fast turnover, hi tech support for each of the decades. My first training meeting was held by the owner of the company. I quote (not paraphrase): "People say that I'm a genius. I am not a genius, I hire them and I and my staff provide guidance. You (pointing his finger at the dozen or so of us) will agree to your responsibility and you have the authority to excersise it" (Theory Y Mangement).
The first 2 years as Asst Dept Mgr I learned about consumer buying habits. Presentation, Promotion, Personell (3 P's of successful business). Volunteered for military service (supported advice from my company and wound up in Special Intel Ops. Rank meant very little. I was given and accepted my responsibility and had absolute authority to execute my job. Ultimately I worked with and purchased. marketed and my staff sold Billions of dollars ofInternational Brands and Private Labels. Their responsibility - their authority was the only signature on the purchase orders. Today the company sales approx $50B internationally and the most profitable ROI in their industry.
Point 7-
I have tried to track, get data and follow the responsibilities of the Stellantis Managers that I would like to connect with vis a vis their responsibility with marketing Alfa Romeo in the USA. I find many with responsibility, but none with authority. All management appear to be on a pyramid where the only authority appears to be with Mr. Jean-Phillipe Imparato. A few months ago, I received information from Alfa Museum that the company was going to have a Zoom meeting at a specific time. "Hooray", I said to myself, "they are reaching out". a) It was for the next early morning as the time scheduled was Italian afternoon. b) I contacted the sender and suggested that 6 AM California (the 5th largest economy) time was a little early. Could someone reconsider a more reasonable time to have a profitable information exchange? The answer was "Mr. Imparato told us to set this up". Not unreasonable as I had just attended a Zoom meeting with the Curator of a famous German museum and over 100 Americans in all time zones.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
The Koreans had this problem, extended their warranties and sales boomed.
Kia and Genesis are leap years ahead of Alfa in all categories right now and that’s a sad thought. But they did it the right way. Just like you said. Perceived reliability so they extended to 100,000 mile warranty. Genesis makes some great cars for great prices. Sad future for alfa it seems. Even if they extended the warranty out the service centers are sadly one of the least consistent in the auto business.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I apologize for the folowing overflow of frustration expressed in this missive. I love my Alfas, my Alfaholic friends, and I'm proud to be passing on part of Alfa history.

Living in an alternative universe, the marketing wizzards at Stellantis, trying to bring back a name to the USA that was never strong to begin with, still don't get it.
First, thank you. You are a great resource for the brand, Alfisti and future owners (like myself). I hope Larry reads this or is open to new thinking.

P1: I am new to the community, but well aware of the brand. However, I agree 100% that a lack of brand awareness is the major issue for AR (2nd being dealer network). I have found that there are 3 views of AR from the general public: 1) AR is an unknown entity, 2) AR of old was unreliable and that continues, 3) AR is considered to be so upmarket that entry-level luxury buyers do not consider it (yet cars are priced the same as BWM/Audi, etc)...maybe don't attach them to Maserati dealers?

P2: That sounds like a great event for owners. Sometimes it just takes really large events over years to get the attention of the brand. I am a long time Subaru enthusiast (I am a brand Ambassador as well) and it took many years for our large events to get Subaru of America to sponsor. One of our annual events gets 5,000+ people.

P3: I guess you want Stellantis to sponsor an exhibit? I wonder if people who go there already know about AR? So that wouldn't increase brand awareness (ROI is all that matters today). You need to find ways to attract conquest shoppers, or to create media buzz. The Carmel event was advertised by MotorTrend and the images looked great. They should do more events. I also noticed they did a lot of social media for NY Fashion Week transporting models, and today they continue posts for #RacetracktoRunway showing models with Alfas.

P4: Giulietta would be a stretch to bring over in a dying segment. They should promote the IMSA victories. Tonale will help to fill the downmarket segment. I would love to see QV racing in the WeatherTech IMSA series.

P5: This is excellent, a great deal of time/energy on your part, but sadly, the dealers just want to move volume with the least amount of work on their part. It would make sense to have one screen showing marketing/your videos. Although, they may have to get your videos approved by Stellantis compliance as it would be marketing. Not sure if the auto world compliance is as stringent as Finance (my world).

P6: You come from a great background, with tons of experience and an eye for detail...that is the exact opposite of what I feel is running the brand today. Hopefully that will change.

P7: That is basically how all companies work these days, especially multi-national. Siloed holding companies across continents and then managers hire subordinate middle-managers to blame/fire when ideas go sideways. At the same time, each middle-manager pushes decision making up the chain to prevent liability. No one makes decisions.

Reactions: Richardalfa

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,761 Posts
17 brands. Thunderdome.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Misano Blue / Tan
344 Posts
I 100% agree that if Alfa Romeo offered a class-leading warranty, that would dispel many of the myths surrounding Alfa's poor reliability in their current lineup. Doesn't have to be Kia / Hyundai, but even an 80k / 7year standard bumper-to-bumper warranty would go a long way. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure Stellantis is looking to do that, based on their lack of attention in generating brand recognition for Alfa in the US in general.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I 100% agree that if Alfa Romeo offered a class-leading warranty, that would dispel many of the myths surrounding Alfa's poor reliability in their current lineup. Doesn't have to be Kia / Hyundai, but even an 80k / 7year standard bumper-to-bumper warranty would go a long way. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure Stellantis is looking to do that, based on their lack of attention in generating brand recognition for Alfa in the US in general.
Besides the need for a ton of marketing, I think considering most people lease Alfas, they should consider offering:

3 year Zero Cost Maintenance
5 year/60k Bumper to Bumper
10 year/100k Powertrain

I don't mind paying for maintenance, but that could signal to buyers that they have basically a hassle-free ownership experience.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I think considering most people lease Alfas,
That wasn’t the result of the buy vs lease poll here….

·
Registered
344 Posts

Giulia Forums is going to have selective bias towards auto enthusiasts. The vast majority of car owners never join their model-specific car forum. So I doubt that data is accurate to the general market. Maybe @AlfaOhio can provide some data for us if he/she is willing.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Even bumping it up to 6 years 75k warranty will get people thinking. Number one reason the QV doesn’t sell well. Everyone loves it. But not many will risk it vs a M3 AMG or rs5. I mean they definitely know these things. Auto execs. Harvard math wizards. Good will hunting types. They just rather write off 500 million a year and sell ev credits I guess. Has to be a reason they don’t show any signs of caring.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Point 1 -
Outside of the USA, Alfa Romeo, especially in Western Europe still has some cachet as a prestigious brand. Inside the USA (without a presence for almost 2 generations) it is basically unknown and viewed by the dealers as well as the potential buyers as a European version of Japanese and Korean cars. Not even considered competative in style and performance with Chevrolet, Camaro, Mustang, Cadillac, or BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Volvo.
Point 2 -
California, as a state, is the 5th largest economy in the world and the largest prestigeous auto market in the world.
More Porches are sold in California than any country in the world with the exception of China. They have the "Porsche Experience" for owners with their own track in CarsonSo. Cal.
The Alfa Romeo Owners Club in So. Ca. (AROSC) has been offering an "Alfa Romeo Driving Experience" since 1972 and, as a Not For Profit organization, has had participation from all marques, including Porsche (& R Gruppe), Miata's, Mustangs, Camaro's, BMW's, Saab, VW's, Ferrari's, etc., etc. We have yet to hear a word from a Stellantis/Alfa Romeo marketing manager.
As a matter of fact, we haven't found or have been able to communicate with any managers supposedly with responsiblity that have any authority. Management by Bossism (Theory X that was debunked back in the 1960's)
Point 3 -
Larry Dominique comes to California and interviews with Jay Leno, but has yet to contact the Petersen. Automotive Museum (considered one of the most important automotive museums in the world).
Appoximately 250,000 visitors (mostly autoholics) expected attendance for 2022. 15,000 students including tech schools receive educational tours, usually around 20 major corporated events and a plethora of international automotive articles and streaming virtual presentations. Yet not one contact by a responsible Stellantis manager with authority
The current exhibit featuring Pininfarina design has one 1938 Alfa Romeo 6C2300 Coupe. Vice President of the Petersen and AROSC member, David Sydorick's1937 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Touring Berlinetta won the Coppa d'Oro Villa d'Este. No one from Stellantis.
I admit that I was invited to a gathering in Carmel the evening before Concorso and that Larry Dominique was going to be there. Unfortunately I injured my knee the day before and was just back from emergency. Managed to be interviewed at Concorso the next day (along with my crutches) by CARSTV for their cable show - NO ONE FROM STELLANTIS???
Not a Stellantis representative seemed to appear at the Concorso Italiano during Monterey Historic Week.
Point 4 -
Just adding insult to injury Stellantis inept marketing continues to fail in the return of Alfa Romeo to the USA.
They have a winning car, a version of which could be available to an average buyer AND IT'S NOT AVAILABLE IN AMERICAN SHOW ROOMS.
Minute by minute timely articles from Stellantis Alfa Communication about the losing effort in Formula 1 - not a word about their victories at IMSA.
This is an old car and it probably had to be put back in production and homologies, but IT IS A WINNER - duh.
Making History: Alfa Romeo’s Track to Pilot Challenge Victory | IMSA
A great design, put it on a competative EV platform for the immediate future and chase the Rice Rockets out of town.
Point 5 -
Have been going around to local So Cal dealers to offer (free) welcome packages to new buyers and to offer location events, historic training for sales managers and salepeople and supplement support offered by the National Alfa Owners Club. Other than a few events, when we bring knowledge and history to the dealers, has anyone of them contacted local press, emailed and invited recent buyers and other marketing/imaging opportunities. Among our offers are a free (lunchtime at the track) lead and follow laps in their cars and passenger rides in our track cars. "An Alfa Experience".
One of the very successful (?depending on what is considered successful - long term) has large TV's in the show room that are showing a variety of current sporting events. I offered them a copy of "Victory by Design - Alfa Romeo" which shows actual historic legends being driven on location by Alain de Cadenet, and "Rendevous" an Alfa romp at speed through the streets of Paris in the morning to pick up a date and was advised that the customers want to watch sports.
Excuse me - they can do that at home. In a dealership sell your brand.
I am still waiting for a sales manager to invite me to the weekly sales meeting he told me about.

Point 6 -
I had over 50 years in the garment industry. All extemely high volume, fast turnover, hi tech support for each of the decades. My first training meeting was held by the owner of the company. I quote (not paraphrase): "People say that I'm a genius. I am not a genius, I hire them and I and my staff provide guidance. You (pointing his finger at the dozen or so of us) will agree to your responsibility and you have the authority to excersise it" (Theory Y Mangement).
The first 2 years as Asst Dept Mgr I learned about consumer buying habits. Presentation, Promotion, Personell (3 P's of successful business). Volunteered for military service (supported advice from my company and wound up in Special Intel Ops. Rank meant very little. I was given and accepted my responsibility and had absolute authority to execute my job. Ultimately I worked with and purchased. marketed and my staff sold Billions of dollars ofInternational Brands and Private Labels. Their responsibility - their authority was the only signature on the purchase orders. Today the company sales approx $50B internationally and the most profitable ROI in their industry.
Point 7-
I have tried to track, get data and follow the responsibilities of the Stellantis Managers that I would like to connect with vis a vis their responsibility with marketing Alfa Romeo in the USA. I find many with responsibility, but none with authority. All management appear to be on a pyramid where the only authority appears to be with Mr. Jean-Phillipe Imparato. A few months ago, I received information from Alfa Museum that the company was going to have a Zoom meeting at a specific time. "Hooray", I said to myself, "they are reaching out". a) It was for the next early morning as the time scheduled was Italian afternoon. b) I contacted the sender and suggested that 6 AM California (the 5th largest economy) time was a little early. Could someone reconsider a more reasonable time to have a profitable information exchange? The answer was "Mr. Imparato told us to set this up". Not unreasonable as I had just attended a Zoom meeting with the Curator of a famous German museum and over 100 Americans in all time zones.

Anything I can do to help the 'cause'?

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Giulia Forums is going to have selective bias towards auto enthusiasts. The vast majority of car owners never join their model-specific car forum. So I doubt that data is accurate to the general market. Maybe @AlfaOhio can provide some data for us if he/she is willing.
Maybe, maybe not. Doesn’t really matter.

·
Registered
722 Posts

Forums tend to be car guys with a dislike for leasing. I personally like to change cars often.

Here is what my local AR dealer thinks people want to see...

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I think that @Old Giulia Guy make very good points. And I also think that we tend to forget what is the Alfa Romeo model/approach. And I think that this approach has probably worked for about one Century. I do not remember any Alfa Romeo marketing, ever. I mean, marketing at the level that we talk we want to see, not the few-to-zero TV advertisings. I do not remember any 7, 8 or 10Yrs warranty for Alfa Romeo, in its history. And with all that of nothing, Alfa Romeo has gathered enough Alfisti to keep the brand alive for a Century. Alfisti are what are going to move the brand to its maximum global annual volume of 200,000 cars, not the 2.2M/yr of Mercedes Benz or 2.3M/yr of BMW. The best years of Alfa Romeo were a decade ago with 200,000 cars per year of sales. Currently, the sales are 140,000/yr cars so, with the same approach, we can easily get to the best level of sales ever and keep it there. I think that will suffice for another Century. Alfa Romeo is not competing with any German, Japanese or American cars brands.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Forums tend to be car guys with a dislike for leasing. I personally like to change cars often.

Here is what my local AR dealer thinks people want to see...

View attachment 116749
Again, your opinion, like the survey on the forum is all subjective. Car companies (all brands) always push leases because the low payment attracts buyers that otherwise couldn’t afford the cars. But who cares?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Again, your opinion, like the survey on the forum is all subjective. Car companies (all brands) always push leases because the low payment attracts buyers that otherwise couldn’t afford the cars. But who cares?
I could be wrong, but it seems that entry-level luxury and luxury buyers prefer to lease. New car more frequently, business deduction possibilities, etc. Leasing, especially the 2 year versions offered, help to reduce shopper anxiety about being stuck with a problematic car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
everything's subjective, nothing is real, who cares about anything. Way to move the conversation forward dude. ♂😴

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
everything's subjective, nothing is real, who cares about anything. Way to move the conversation forward dude. ♂😴
It’s a pointless conversation in the absence of facts Dude. The only objective data point was the survey on this forum and it was discounted due to ‘car forum membership bias’. So again, don’t care Dude.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It’s a pointless conversation in the absence of facts Dude. The only objective data point was the survey on this forum and it was discounted due to ‘car forum membership bias’. So again, don’t care Dude.
pointing out bias in data isn't a personal attack on you. not sure why your reaction is so defensive / dismissive. but OK. you do you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I filled out my survey, the thing I noted is that except for a couple print ads in the auto mags, Alfa has ZERO media presence in the US. How hard would it be to have a Youtube channel that tries to do some viral content? There is no real advertising of any kind. People, especially women I find, LOVE the styling of the Giulia and the Stelvio, but they have no idea what kind of car they are, have never heard of Alfa, and no idea where to get one.

I came from a three series, have had an Audi, currently own a Porsche and find the Alfa to be a well built wonderful to drive car. While many dealer lots are empty, my Alfa dealer had several cars and no traffic, plus 0% for 48 months. But nobody seems to know any of this because Alfa would rather you need to know the secret handshake to buy one.

I think even I could come up with a campaign that with a little money to advertise could increase their sales 50%. You wonder who is making decisions and it is a waste of such a lovely product.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts