Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go KIMI! Just checked the P2 times. KIMI on top.

Poor Lewis (satire), could this be the year the Gremlins finally strike Merc?

Leclerc is up about 1/2 second on Ericcson - not bad for his 2nd F1 debut. Viva Alfa!

So good to see F1 back up and running - just hope they did something about that color and commentary debacle last race. They need Will Buxton on the grid. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m a KIMI fan...bad race once again. That said Seb had a heck of a drive on spent tires. Good to see Gasly up there. Fernando must be shaking his head. #CrashGateHaunting

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
FYI, the Alfa Romeo Owner's Club, http://www.aroc-usa.org/ is sponsoring a trip to the USA Grand Prix in Austin this year. Tickets, rooms, private transportation to and from the track, pit pass for practice (I think), meet and greet the drivers, special jacket and hat(!!), etc. See you there!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
just saw the video of Kimi's pit, WOW!, that mechanic never had a chance...multiple leg fractures!
Yeah, wheel hit his leg head on with full spin, hopefully drs will be able to screw it together well but he is looking at long recovery, hopefully not too much vascular and nerve damage....brings back memories of my moto racing crash, fibula was sticking out of leg and tibia was broken twice, had enough titanium hardware to make Lockem jealous ?

Kudos to Vettel, what a drive on gone tires, Forza Ferrari! Feel so bad for Kimi, he is really geling with red car this year

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great race. And I think that ESPN showed it straight through with no commercials to apologize for the horrid first broadcast.
That poor Ferrari tire changer.... He got mangled. Sucks for Kimi's race, too.
Strong start to the season for Vettel and Ferrari. Glad to see that they're back on form.
POINTS for Erickson in the Sauber Alfa was phenominal! I hope the Alfa fans recognize how extraordinary that was. His best finish in 50 races!
And Pierre Gasly in 4th in the Toro Rosso Honda was quite special, too, though I bet that the McLaren folks were none too impressed with that!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI, the Alfa Romeo Owner's Club, http://www.aroc-usa.org/ is sponsoring a trip to the USA Grand Prix in Austin this year. Tickets, rooms, private transportation to and from the track, pit pass for practice (I think), meet and greet the drivers, special jacket and hat(!!), etc. See you there!!
Bring it to Miami next year. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Been a rough start of the season for wheel guys but that was just horrific. Way too many unsafe pit releases already. Time for the lollipop guy to come back. Pit stops have become entirely too fast without fueling in the 2 second range. That's not enough time to even process a thought about releasing the car.

Fine showing from Ericsson and Sauber Alfa Romeo earning a point which is better than what Grosjean managed. Vettel was just superb dragging it around the last 10 laps on tire cords. Bravo.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Watched the replay last night. Very impressed with Ericsson's run. One stop strategy had him running as high as 6th. He didn't have enough tire at the end to hold off some other drivers on newer softer tires, but a 9th place finish after starting 17th is something he can be proud of.

LeClerc did what any driver on his 2nd grand prix start should do--stay out of trouble. You have to wonder where he would have finished if he had been able to run a one stop strategy instead of flat-spotting a tire at the beginning of the race.

Maybe I'll have to buy one of those $50 t-shirts after all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Having reviewed the incident, the FIA race stewards in Bahrain handed Ferrari a €50,000 fine for releasing Raikkonen's car ‘in a manner endangering team personnel and causing injury’.

Asked if he knew why he’d been released early, Raikkonen said he was in the dark:

“I don’t know yet, we’ll see. My job is to go when the light changes green. That’s the only thing that we look at. Unfortunately, one of the guys paid a hefty price on whatever the mistake is. So, for sure, not very good.

“I’m sure there is the best possible people to take care of him and hopefully he gets better,” he added.
Link to F1.com

I've never run anyone over but I'm pretty sure I'd show a bit more empathy here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Classic KIMI comment. Got to remember as a driver they are keyed up on one thing- green light and go. No hesitations or thoughts about it. Saw the Twitter pic of the mechanic - looks to have had some hardware implanted for both a fractured fibula and tibia. Ouch. But he did it all for Maranello! That said, someone is going to fry for tapping on the green w/o even changing the rear tire yet. Let's face it, 2.5 seconds for a full tire change, and the ability to press a button in judgment of "GO" is asking a bit much from the human mind. At least with a lollipop guy in front he could have flipped it back over and hit the nose - seen that one too many times in the old days. Could make the delta pit times a bit more complicated for the strategists. Here's to an early morning race this weekend!

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,287 Posts
Link to F1.com

I've never run anyone over but I'm pretty sure I'd show a bit more empathy here.
i watched it live and he seemed pretty upset to me, red eyed in fact

you cant just take a transcript and judge emotion by what is written in black and white ... its the reason they chose those two particular colours

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
^^ he is not called iceman for nothing, scandinavians just show much less emotions....I lived 2 years bit south in denmark but also had quite a problem with reading people for quite a while....right after accident I am also sure he was overwhelmed by combination of things, from his rAce being over to the forced errors of the team

I am pretty sure I heard during coverage that sensors on the car went green for wheels beeing attached properly....i am not sure if commentator knew what he was talking about but that could be the reason the go light was given

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also think it's a fair question to ask why the wheel guy was standing in front of the driver rear tire. I guess there are three places to stand (side and behind included) and he was in the only place to possibly get run over. That's not on Kimi.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I also think it's a fair question to ask why the wheel guy was standing in front of the driver rear tire. I guess there are three places to stand (side and behind included) and he was in the only place to possibly get run over. That's not on Kimi.
I think that in the ballet of tire change one guy finds himsels a bit in front of tire before pulling old wheel off and stepping aside....wheel was never removed so the guy was still there....plenty to analyse how the whole mess happened

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great day for the USA Hass team as well with a 5th place finish.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think that in the ballet of tire change one guy finds himsels a bit in front of tire before pulling old wheel off and stepping aside....wheel was never removed so the guy was still there....plenty to analyse how the whole mess happened
You're right. 3 on a wheel. One to remove, one to place and one to tighten. Haas actually added another pit crew member in front of the car to overrule in case the wheels are unsafe. Hopefully Magnusson or Grosjean doesn't run him over.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All bets off with Grosjean. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts