Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came up to Montreal to see the grand prix, sadly not with the Giulia. Very excited about qualifying results! I didn't think the Ferrari's had it in them during the practice and then boom, pole position with Hamilton on the second row. This is my fourth time at Montreal and I've never seen someone other than Hamilton win, but this weekend there is a chance. Nice to see Max keep it together and killer quali again from LeClerc.

A couple of observations about the venue etc.:

- NO Alfa Sauber merchandise to be found anywhere :(. There was this huge store and it had the Alfa logo outside along with all the other teams, but nothing inside. Nothing in the city of Montreal either. It is like they don't exist. I've been waiting for this event to get a hat/shirt etc. and I am dissapointed
- Big Alfa cars display near McGill on one of the blocked of roads. A stelvio, Stelvio QV and a Giulia QV. Lot's of foot traffic and interest.
- The organizers raised the height of the fence on my grandstand, so now taking pictures is near impossible and all the cars are seen behind the fence. I'm really unhappy about this too.
- Organizers also seem to have restricted areas where people can walk around the track with the net result of more people bunched together going in and out and trying to get lunch. Also not a change for the better.

A buddy keeps telling me COTA is a much nicer venue, I might have to check that out.

·
Banned
219 Posts
We have gone to Austin for the last 3 years, since I retired. The track is nice and the go karts they started last year are a blast to drive. The concerts have all been great. Bruno Mars and Britany Spears this year. We always make a road trip out of it and follow the Mississippi River down to New Orleans for a few days, then on to San Antonio for a few days before hitting Austin. We try to use secondary highways on the trip and have found some interesting places that way. Really looking forward to doing it in my new Guilia this year.

·
Registered
365 Posts
- NO Alfa Sauber merchandise to be found anywhere :(. There was this huge store and it had the Alfa logo outside along with all the other teams, but nothing inside. Nothing in the city of Montreal either. It is like they don't exist. I've been waiting for this event to get a hat/shirt etc. and I am dissapointed
- Big Alfa cars display near McGill on one of the blocked of roads. A stelvio, Stelvio QV and a Giulia QV. Lot's of foot traffic and interest.

My wife and I got to Montreal on Thursday evening. The first thing we ran into after leaving our hotel was Max Verstappen talking to someone else outside of their hotel (in front of a transport van, I guess waiting to take them somewhere). I'll post a pic later, wife has it on her phone.

To your points, yes, no Alfa merch! You're right, the huge F1 merchandise store at the track did have the Sauber Alfa Romeo logo on the outside of the building. But absolutely nothing inside. We went into the store on Saturday, and my wife and I were both wearing the very nice Alfa shirts that our dealer gave us, and we had a group of people in the store stop and ask us where we got our shirts because they couldn't find them in the store. Had to tell them that we got the shirts from our Alfa dealer with the purchase of our Giulia. That was the first of about half a dozen similar discussions that occurred in the next hour as we walked from the store and to our grandstand seats for Quali. Really a poor showing by F1 (F1 management and the team) not to have any merchandise available for such a historic racing marque, especially one making a reintroduction into North America.

We only saw three new Alfas in Montreal. Two 4Cs and one Stelvio Sport with faux QV front fender badges. Saw one 1980s red Spider outside of our hotel on Saturday.

Leaving the track after the race on Sunday was a nightmare. It took us 2 hours to make our way from Grandstand 21 to the Ferry, a trip that took no more than 20 minutes the previous days.

More later, after getting back home just before midnight last night, need a bit of time to recover and get some things done.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
We have gone to Austin for the last 3 years, since I retired. The track is nice and the go karts they started last year are a blast to drive. The concerts have all been great. Bruno Mars and Britany Spears this year. We always make a road trip out of it and follow the Mississippi River down to New Orleans for a few days, then on to San Antonio for a few days before hitting Austin. We try to use secondary highways on the trip and have found some interesting places that way. Really looking forward to doing it in my new Guilia this year.
The Alfa Romeo Owners Club (AROC) has put together a package for COTA. Hotel, private transportation to and from the track, meet and greet the Alfa-Sauber team and drivers, exclusive outerwear etc.
Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Alfa Romeo Owners Club (AROC) has put together a package for COTA. Hotel, private transportation to and from the track, meet and greet the Alfa-Sauber team and drivers, exclusive outerwear etc.
Hope to see you there!
That looks like a great event! Unlikely I will be able to do it due to kids, but I'm seriously tempted :)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You can get Alfa t-shirts, hats, pretty cool looking jackets online but you lose the feeling of getting it there. Sort of like getting a Mickey Mouse hat online without going to Disneyworld. Just loses something.

We did not get a thing from our dealer other than a headache. But Alfa Romeo sent us a very nice leather passport holder in a very very nice box. Now, I don't know about the rest of you but I don't carry a Passport. We were for a while when AZ was cracking down on immigration and were going to random checks no matter how American you look so we updated our passports. That went by the wayside but we plan to travel to Canada a lot so we will keep them. Maybe Italy will be in our future. I am not big on flying in a cabin for long periods of time so I may have to enjoy it vicariously through all of your travels to Grand Prix's and tours of the Cassino plant. This is the first time we have seriously considered a trip over seas. It is hard when you have 3 big Golden Retrievers and although they are "English Cremes" they were born in the US.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
@WB leaving the island on race day is always been a PIA, especially depending on where you are sitting that day.
for the 3 consecutive years I went with my sons we had these tickets that rotated (different seats each day for practice & Q) and then we were always on the Start/Finish for the race....trying to get back to the Metro from those seats was a BEAR....
I'm shocked & puzzled why in the F1 merchandise village there was no Alfa-Sauber swag....what a lost opportunity...
I'm sure they had everyone else...

·
Banned
219 Posts
Hope to see you there!
Thanks for the info. Just getting ready to get my tickets again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@WB leaving the island on race day is always been a PIA, especially depending on where you are sitting that day.
for the 3 consecutive years I went with my sons we had these tickets that rotated (different seats each day for practice & Q) and then we were always on the Start/Finish for the race....trying to get back to the Metro from those seats was a BEAR....
I'm shocked & puzzled why in the F1 merchandise village there was no Alfa-Sauber swag....what a lost opportunity...
I'm sure they had everyone else...
Very true - I’ve been going to Montreal for the past 20 years. (But not anymore because of the poor sounding engines and the stupid halo now). It takes massive patience to make your way through the crowds and the long walk from turn 1,2 to the Metro. The hairpin grandstands are a little better because they are much closer, but still a painful crawl. The only way to try to beat the crowds is to make your way out of the stands 5 laps before the end and watch from the fence, but then you could miss a classic end. However that rarely happens nowadays.

The one trick to make this easier is to park your car on the other side of the metro - at Longueuil station instead of in Montreal. At least then you don’t have a large crowd to fight to get into the train. And you are out and driving towards the border in 10 mins away from the city. Plus underground parking is cheaper in Longueuil.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"5 laps before the end"
better make that six"

re marketing, AR's are designed as an enthusiasts road car, but they are marketed in the US (and probably Canada) as an urban status/statement or something - which I don't understand.

what exactly is "show your personality" or whatever AR's slogan is, supposed to mean, and whotf is it supposed to attract?

by contrast, "ultimate driving machine" is pretty clear, even if it's not accurate.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Guys,

The Sauber Alfa site https://shop.sauberf1team.com, has a hat, polo shirt and mug (also previously saw an umbrella), but does not have the white/red polo that the team members wear. I suspect that these will be available at a later date and believe because of the Alfa sponsorship and the great look and appeal of the apparel that they will be very popular items...Forza Alfa! Forza Sauber! Forza Ferrari!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,757 Posts
The Sauber Alfa site https://shop.sauberf1team.com, has a hat, polo shirt and mug (also previously saw an umbrella), but does not have the white/red polo that the team members wear. I suspect that these will be available at a later date and believe because of the Alfa sponsorship and the great look and appeal of the apparel that they will be very popular items...Forza Alfa! Forza Sauber! Forza Ferrari!
Gotta check FX to decisde whether to purchase in EUR or CHF. Of course shipping from Europe... And tariffs?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Gotta check FX to decisde whether to purchase in EUR or CHF. Of course shipping from Europe... And tariffs?

Hi Chipshot, the "Official F1" site has apparel for sale in USD but so far have only seen MB, Ferrari and Toro Rosso. Can't believe that it won't be too long before Sauber shows up giving the great performance of LeClaire....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.