Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be something that bothers anyone else or you already have a solution that works for you like holding it up when you go through a toll. Or a license plate mount, but being in a state that doesn't require a front plate I didn't want to go that route.

I don't like seeing the back of the EZ-Pass transponder on the windshield from the outside of the car when its in the classic hiding spot behind the rearview mirror. For me this is compounded in the Giulia because this space is already used by the built in camera and wiper sensor. I also don't like seeing it on the dash or even the reflection in causes in the windshield, hopefully other people are less OCD about this.

The best option I have found is https://mypasscover.myshopify.com which I really like but has a couple of issues.
First their Alfa Romeo Giulia fabric option is the leather used for the premium dash, so people like me that didn't pay for that can't get an exact match.
Second the cover is designed to be exactly the same dimensions as the transponder which means if its on a sloping part of the dash the cover strap that goes under the transponder holds it off the dash and in some positions you will see a gap and the velcro holding it down. This can at least partially be addressed by swapping the velcro that comes on the transponder with the much thinner stuff supplied with the cover.

The picture is of one of the newer smaller i-Pass transponders with one of the older larger square EZ-pass covers in Alfa Romeo leather on a vinyl dash. The flash for the picture highlights the difference in texture, in daylight its less apparent. On the upside it sits behind the inspection stickers so does't obscure any view but still allows a windshield sun shade to be used when parked. The larger cover also tips the edge facing me and the gap disappears completely. There is no reflection in the windshield and the EZ-pass is invisible from outside the car. Finally most importantly there is absolutely no problem with the EZ-Pass working through the cover and the Giulia windshield. I was initially worried that there was but it turned out that the battery in my probably 10 year old transponder had run down.

This is an option to make the transponder less visible and the company has been responsive to my emails, even doing a trip to an Alfa Romeo dealer to see whether they had a better fabric match for the non leather dash.

Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
In MA ours come with clear locking comb patches like velcro. I keep mine in the glove compartment and mount it on trips, pull when not needed. They are cheesy white plastic but not a big deal since I don't drive on toll roads much.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for your post...I had no idea such covers exist but will now be ordering one. I was stumped as to where to mount the transponder so the best location I found was to the right of the windshield camera pod. The covered dashboard mount will be a nice improvement!

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Mine is spray-painted Black so it disappears into the sun shade gradient.

Reactions: Rossonero3

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
This may not be something that bothers anyone else or you already have a solution that works for you like holding it up when you go through a toll. Or a license plate mount, but being in a state that doesn't require a front plate I didn't want to go that route.

I don't like seeing the back of the EZ-Pass transponder on the windshield from the outside of the car when its in the classic hiding spot behind the rearview mirror. For me this is compounded in the Giulia because this space is already used by the built in camera and wiper sensor. I also don't like seeing it on the dash or even the reflection in causes in the windshield, hopefully other people are less OCD about this.

The best option I have found is https://mypasscover.myshopify.com which I really like but has a couple of issues.
First their Alfa Romeo Giulia fabric option is the leather used for the premium dash, so people like me that didn't pay for that can't get an exact match.
Second the cover is designed to be exactly the same dimensions as the transponder which means if its on a sloping part of the dash the cover strap that goes under the transponder holds it off the dash and in some positions you will see a gap and the velcro holding it down. This can at least partially be addressed by swapping the velcro that comes on the transponder with the much thinner stuff supplied with the cover.

The picture is of one of the newer smaller i-Pass transponders with one of the older larger square EZ-pass covers in Alfa Romeo leather on a vinyl dash. The flash for the picture highlights the difference in texture, in daylight its less apparent. On the upside it sits behind the inspection stickers so does't obscure any view but still allows a windshield sun shade to be used when parked. The larger cover also tips the edge facing me and the gap disappears completely. There is no reflection in the windshield and the EZ-pass is invisible from outside the car. Finally most importantly there is absolutely no problem with the EZ-Pass working through the cover and the Giulia windshield. I was initially worried that there was but it turned out that the battery in my probably 10 year old transponder had run down.

This is an option to make the transponder less visible and the company has been responsive to my emails, even doing a trip to an Alfa Romeo dealer to see whether they had a better fabric match for the non leather dash.

Alan
I always wondered, but never tried this.
What if you were to keep the EZPass transponder in the glove box or door panel pocket, or console cubby, or clipped under the dash...
Would it still work?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Weren't they going to start scanning plates in September?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
MA scans/sends bill now if no EZpass, same with NH,
NH offers a discount with transponder/EZpass account, not sure if MA offers discount.

My transponders are 10 yrs old... about time to replace since batteries can't be renewed.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about rear window (back light)?
I think that given the angle the overhead readers are set at it's unlikely to work, I think the car roof is likely to shield the transponder. PA definitely asks for the transponder to be on the front of the car either license plate or front window presumably because those are the locations they have tested.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
I think that given the angle the overhead readers are set at it's unlikely to work, I think the car roof is likely to shield the transponder. PA definitely asks for the transponder to be on the front of the car either license plate or front window presumably because those are the locations they have tested.
If you have a QV maybe it would work stuck to the headliner or underside of the hood?
A cover to match and stick it to the headliner would be pretty slick.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I thought in the NY, NJ area scanning of plates was going to start in September.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I thought in the NY, NJ area scanning of plates was going to start in September.
So, does this mean that all license plates will be scanned and if you have an EZPass account, you will be billed accordingly EVEN IF the transponder is is not in the car? Is there a $ penalty?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
All plates will be scanned but if you have an EZ Pass account it will be a much cheaper toll.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did a combo of what @DonPaolo and @[email protected] did...I mounted my MA EZPass just to the right of the windshield camera thing, but I also couldn't stand to look at the blue plastic of the EZPass so I painted mine with black "Plasti-Dip" so it can be removed later if needed. And because i'm a bit anal retentive and didn't like the plastic velcro mounting strips, I bought and used black velcro instead. Now the whole thing blends in pretty well I think.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Found this thread because I’m trying to decide where to mount my EZPass Flex in my new Giulia. The owners manual didn’t say anything about limitations on where to mount the EZPass relative to the rear view mirror/ camera system. In several other cars I’ve had the owners manual says not to put any transponders in an area X distance from the rear view mirror/ camera system. There doesn’t appear to be any such limitations with the Giulia. I didn’t want to inadvertently diminish the systems performance based on my mounting a transponder to the windshield.

Also, in my experience, only the little clear 3M Dual Lock strips that ship with the EZPass are strong enough to withstand the extreme interior cabin temperatures, especially in summer when parked outside. In the past I’ve tried several other Velcro products (all official Velcro, not generic) and all the adhesive holding the Velcro to the windshield eventually failed due to the heat. Yes, even the industrial strength Velcro. You can get replacement 3M Dual Lock tabs by calling your EZPass customer service center.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My transponder is on the dash when I need it and in the center council when I do not needed. This works great for all my cars.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I guess I just don't care...I put it on the windshield where it belongs. Doesn't bother me at all and works perfect.

TxTag has a new small one that is barely noticeable on windshield.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts