Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Did some spring cleaning yesterday and after cleaning the exhaust tips my usual way for many years on other cars, I noticed there was either some corrosion to the metal or damage? Has anyone had this on their QV or previous cars? I have never experienced this before. Let me know your thoughts.

The last picture are the exhaust tips before the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
have tons of similar corrosion (much worse) on the rectangular exhaust tips of my BMW 650i (bought used and already corroded). My only option was to get them re-chromed -- which I chose not to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried to wipe it off with soap and water. Degreaser. Then I used chrome polish and no dice. Next I'm going to try steel wool and try rubbing. If that doesn't work might need to replace the tips or re chrome it I guess. Never done this before.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Try and zoom in there with a magnifier if you can. Find out if it's pitted or or oxidized. The salt can be a pain up here. I wet sanded the tips on my 360 since they were a bit oxidized when I bought it. But be careful and make sure you have enough room to work it and buff it properly. Don't want to leave scratches. Steel wool is probably good, maybe even add soapy water. Sorry to say the chrome plating might be a cost saving area.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Try "Blue Magic" metal polish. I've had great result using that stuff on various metal applications. It will require some elbow grease though...and patience.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,775 Posts
Did some spring cleaning yesterday and after cleaning the exhaust tips my usual way for many years on other cars, I noticed there was either some corrosion to the metal or damage? Has anyone had this on their QV or previous cars? I have never experienced this before. Let me know your thoughts.
What's your usual way of cleaning? I used oven cleaner on my Chrysler 300's tips and found it worked well.

Reactions: RyanC883

·
Registered
573 Posts
I will give it a try, I've been using mothers polish which has been awesome in the past. I will also try the steel wool and see what happens.
Make sure it is Fine Steel wool and not course or medium or it will scartch the heck out of things.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,633 Posts
Are the tips lacquered? If so perhaps the spots are revealing issues with the coating?

Some notes: steel wool is an abrasive that leaves tiny certain-to-rust fragments behind. If you want to try something like that, use stainless steel wool. Chrome polish is also a very fine abrasive although it does not leave tiny bits of iron behind to rust.

The tips on my Q4 are not magnetic. It seems most likely that they are stainless steel. Perhaps a stainless steel polish would work better than chrome polish?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm reviving this old dead thread because my chrome tips are trashed. I clean them with chrome cleaner once a week, and they're just getting worse and worse. I'm attaching photos I took to try to show the damage. It's definitely pitting, not something that can be polished out. Anyone else have this problem? I'm surprised it's happening so soon, with no salt or anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I clean my QV's tips occasionally with the 0000 Steel wool, and some carbon remover, takes a moment. I don't have to deal with salt where I live, but now generally don't worry about it when I wash my Alfa, as my tips promptly get carbon from the engine on them anyway, and don't stay shiny at all. Next time I do them, I will probably wipe some G2 ceramic wheel coating on them. I keep my left over coating in the little bottles in my 'fridge, and use it on tools and such. Can't hurt, and by the way, it makes washing my wheels a breeze.

In a few hours, will make a quick 200 mile run home from the beach to our UpState SC home. Getting a new Knee monday, had the left one done four years ago. Per my usual, will coast into the interstate rest stops, check out the oncoming traffic, and then come out full throttle, and ease up and settling back to cruise. These cars are fast, especially when you get the turbo's spooled up up in the upper RPM range.

Be safe out there, and have fun.... NV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.